Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 29 Next >>
Topic: "Why did you have us dress like superheroes?" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 1  

This line (or something very much like it), spoken by the Beast to Professor X in an issue of, I think, AMAZING X-MEN, bubbled up to the front of my brain as I was working on today's commission this morning. When I first saw the line, I thought it was incredibly dumb, like Dennis Leary's character on "Rescue Me" asking his Chief "Why do you have us dress like firemen?"

Thinking about it some more, as I worked, I began to see the greater problem. This line, small and relatively insignificant as it is, is symbolic (perhaps "symptomatic" would be a more appropriate word) of a mindset that has found its way into superhero comics more and more in the last couple of decades -- much to the detriment of the genre.

Let's ask the question in it's proper context, the world in which the X-Men live. "Why did you have us dress like superheroes?" Hm.

•Beings with super powers
•Fighting evil
•Keeping their true identities secret

Clearly, these are not accountants.

So, why do they dress like superheroes? Because they are superheroes. Within the context of the imaginary reality they occupy, this is what people do when they find themselves vested with "great power" and, therefore, "great responsibility".

Are there parallels in the non-imaginary world in which we live? Something that we take for granted in the same way super powered beings are taken for granted in the Marvel Universe (or DCU, or any other "super" universe)? Indeed there are, and I have occasionally invoked them before: professional athletes.

Compared to the rest of us mere mortals, most professional basketball players (to pick but one sport) would definitely qualify for having "super powers". They don't "fight evil", except in a most symbolic way, but they do don special, identifiable costumes in order to do what they do. So do football players, baseball players, hockey players. In fact, once we reach professional levels, there are no sports in which human beings engage that have not evolved their own distinctive "uniforms". Tiger Woods does not show up on the course in jeans and a t-shirt, wearing sneakers on his feet. Even pool and poker players develop their "looks" as part of the psychology of their game.

And, standing on the outside looking in, when we see the New York Yankees run out onto the field, or the Edmonton Oilers skate onto the ice, we don't think "What a bunch of weirdos, dressing up like that!" We could not imagine one of the players asking his coach "Why do you make us dress like (pick a sport) players." In fact, the only scenario in which we might imagine such a question being asked is if the players were told to wear the uniforms and equipment commonly associated with a different sport than the one for which they are know. Playing baseball with skates on. Odd.

So when the Beast asks Professor X "Why did you have us dress like superheroes?" what is really asking? Could he be deconstructing that which requires no deconstruction? Could he be seeking his own "yellow Spandex" line? Is he speaking on behalf of the writer, and really asking "Why do I have to work with these silly concepts?"

Which would prompt, perhaps, a simple answer. "You don't. So step aside, and let someone play this game who actually wants to."

Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 2  

Consider also musical performers (David Bowie, Elton John, Britney Spears etc.)  who wear (or who have worn in the past) flashy costumes and what not.  I mean, why wear such clothing?  Surely you can play the music without it?

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 10 July 2007 at 9:42am

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 3  

Clearly, these are not accountants.
- - - - - -
Not to get off-topic, BUT WHY IS IT ALWAYS "ACCOUNTANTS"?

On behalf of the world's CPA's, I have to say this:  Many people consider the ability to do long division, calculate square roots, or balance a checkbook in one's head a superpower.

As it relates to your missive, JB, I agree with you.  99.99999999999999999999%

(spelling)

Edited by Michael Hogan on 10 July 2007 at 9:53am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 4  

If i remember clearly, that was Grant Morrison, on his New X-Men, where he poped that question. I imagine that it's his way to be "pseudo-cool"!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 5  

It was one of the single dumbest bits of dialogue written.... I remember that line and thinking....WTF? Unfortunately I think "Fan Boys" round the world stood up and cheered over that line... Writers who hate the uniforms of the characters and the conventions make no sense to me.... It's superheroes fer crying out loud...

Wolverine I think made a follow up comment to that effect thinking his uniform was dumb...the writer forgetting the fact that Wolverine got his uniform from the Canadian government and not Professor X.

I think there should be a rule that if you think superhero uniforms are "dumb" you cannot work on a superhero comicbook...

Mike Dunn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 6  

Having the characters *ask* the question is okay with me. It's how the
question gets answered that's the key. It can be a setup to dramatically
make the point you make above. After years of deconstruction, having the
characters have the discussion is probably more necessary than the fans and
creators doing so (for us it's a no-brainer). I'll also add this is really only a
point for the Marvel-DC shared-universe-type comics. Anyone doing
creator-owned can do whatever they please, of course.

At least that's my opinion.

m'dunn

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 7  

The asker, in this case, should know the answer before asking it, though.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 8  

And what was Prof. X's response?

"Because you were being prepared to BE superheroes, back in those first
days of your training. But if you have to ask me this question after so many
years, perhaps you aren't nearly as intelligent as we have always been led to
believe . . ."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
"Because you were being prepared to BE superheroes, back in those first
days of your training. But if you have to ask me this question after so many
years, perhaps you aren't nearly as intelligent as we have always been led to
believe . . ."

Good answer, but only begs the question of why the Beast asked it in the first place.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 10  

BTW, JB -

Please stop reading current M***** books. I'm afraid it will lead you to
opening a vein.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 11  

I guess I read these things differently than everyone else. I thought the question was, essentially, "why did you give us brightly-colored costumes instead of keeping us in the old school uniforms?" Which does make a certain sense. The X-Men aren't the Avengers, after all. 

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 12  

Yeah, but they're still superheroes.

Page of 29 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version