Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: What If... You Could Write A ’What If...’ Story? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

What if The Punisher took on The Sinister Six?

Sort of done in Punisher kills the Marvel Universe.

There are a LOT of Punisher What Ifs (my friend is a fan and has them):

What If he killed DD?
What If he killed Spider-man?
What If he became Venom?
What If he became Captain America?
What If his family had lived?

On the other side of the fence:

Does anyone have any Elseworlds tales to tell?
Back to Top profile | search

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

Elseworld tale:

Bruce Wayne, having seen Zatara in action (and becoming friends with a young Zatanna), begs his parents to let him become a Magician/Escape Artist. The Waynes hire Zatara to teach magic and Thaddeus Brown to teach him to be an escape artist. Bruce favours the latter.

He and Thaddeus become friends and HE brings him to the movies on that faithful night except they use their skills to escape the situation and Bruce (and Thaddeus) realise that they can entertain and fight crime so Bruce becomes Mr. Miracle!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

Kor Watkins wrote: "It was by Roy Thomas. I think it's also the only "What If" that's meant to be "in continuity". There's a What If trade paperback with this story in it."

The "in-continuity" issue of What If was number four, which posits a number of replacement Caps coming in to cover for the original's disappearance and subsequent hibernation.  It was this story which brought in the idea that William Randolphs (the Spirit of '76) and Jeff Mace (the Patriot) had both played the role in post-war versions of the Invaders and the All-Winners Squad.
The next issue was the "What If Bucky had lived?" story in which both Cap and Bucky survive and continue to age in real time after the war.
As I recall, What If 9 ("What If the Avengers had been formed in the 1950's?") also contained some language by the Watcher suggesting that their adventures may have taken place in continuity on the Marvel-Earth we all knew and loved.

Edited by Brian Hague on 13 July 2007 at 6:28pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

What if the Red Ghost drove around in a pickup staging bare-knuckled prizefights?

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

What if the First Line had failed to stop the Skrull invasion?

Always wondered what would have happened to the heroes of tomorrow. I always thought that an underground movement of future heroes would save the day.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

I have a post-apocalyptic Batman take I'd love the opportunity to try as an Elseworlds story ("Done and done," yes, I know.) And really, what with space warps being as they are, Superman's rocket could have landed on Earth at any time or place in history...Also, a Barry Allen perfectly attuned to and aware of the Speed Force could have been a very different hero altogether.  While I'm not a big fan of further shoehorning a retroactive continuity implant into established stories, a Barry with that level of power and speed, a sort of Alan Moore Swamp Thing in a Kanigher/Fox world, with a Kanigher/Fox sensibility seems like it could be fun.  The Flash never had an Elseworlds of his own, did he?

Other What If's:
What If Beta Ray Bill had killed Thor?
What If Mary Jane Watson had kept the sword of Red Sonja?
What If Spider-Man had married Gwen Stacy? (The turning point here being the death of her father.)
What If Spider-Man had given up being Peter Parker? (Aunt May passes away while Peter is dating the Black Cat.  With nothing much to hold him to his life in New York, he chucks it all and becomes the globe-trotting man-of-adventure the Cat imagines him to be.)
What If Spider-Man had failed to save Aunt May? (The wreckage from the Master Planner's undersea hideout knocks Spidey unconcious and the serum that he needs to save his aunt is lost. Spidey's greatest moment of triumph never happens and instead becomes one more instance of loss and irrevocable failure... How many of those can Spidey actually take?)
What If Sgt. Fury had become Captain America? ("Why are we wasting a soldier-serum on green recruits? Let's give it to someone who's already in the game and knows what he's doing!")
What If Ben Reilly hadn't come back? (He'd still be out there, for a while anyway... )
What If someone else had been flying the shuttle when the Phoenix Force manifested itself to save the pilot? (Again, not the way I'd like to do "Someone else becomes the Phoenix," but you work with what you have...)
What If Tigra had killed the Molecule Man? (Unlikely, but maybe she could have pulled it off... As she might have gotten a big power boost out of the deal...Like a Cosmic Cube, but with stripes! )
What If Bruce Banner had died in the Gamma explosion? (Zombie Hulk!! With no one driving, what's holding him up?)

Chad, I liked your USS Indianapoulos storyline!  Nicely thought out! The idea of making someone named "the Destroyer" a key figure in story of the Bombing of Japan is a nice one!

Derek Muthart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

What if the comic book industry hadn't switched to direct distibution.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
When I was 14 or so I wrote an awful What if? story which had Sabretooth becoming the Herald of Galactus.

I find this idea strangely brilliant.

Christopher Alan Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

What if Joe Quesada was the fry cook at Burger King.

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
Quote:
When I was 14 or so I wrote an awful What if? story which had Sabretooth becoming the Herald of Galactus.

I find this idea strangely brilliant.

It's fucking awesome.

Edited by Kurt Anderson on 13 July 2007 at 9:00pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

Adding a few bits to my "Harry Osborn becomes Spider-Man" daydream:

This timeline is based on the lab explosion we saw in Chapter One. The accident doesn't occur during Peter's visit, but Harry's a few days later. Like Peter, Harry keeps his new powers a secret. Unlike Peter, he avoids using them at all, fearful that his father would find out and reject him as a freak.

In the next years New York is overwhelmed by a wave of super-villains dominated by the Green Goblin. Harry enrolls in Empire State and becomes friends with Peter and Gwen. One night walking home from campus the friends are attacked by a street gang, forcing Harry to reveal his powers. Later Peter and Gwen convince Harry that he has a responsibility to be a superhero. Peter then creates the webshooters and costume, completing Harry's emergence as Spider-Man.

In the next months Spider-Man defeats a string of villains and frequently crosses swords with the Goblin. Harry begins to suspect that his own father is the Goblin, but does not share his suspicion with Peter and Gwen. The Goblin himself is interested in Spider-Man's ID, incorrectly guessing Peter. The Goblin kidnaps Gwen and confronts Spider-Man on the Brooklyn Bridge. Spider-Man rescues Gwen and goes back to fight the Goblin. But Harry's knowledge that his father is the Goblin makes him hesitate during combat, and he is killed by Norman. Norman unmasks Spider-Man. Overcome by the truth, he covers up his son's death and abandons his life as the Goblin.

More years pass as New York falls under the rule of super-villains. Then one by one they are found murdered, bound in webs. The Daily Bugle announces "Spider-Man: the Return of a Menace?". Jonah Jameson finds out the truth for himself when he is cornered by Spider-Man, now costumed in blood-red and black. He reveals he is Norman, now with Spider-Man's reverse-engineered powers. Despite having his son's cadaver to experiment on he still needed  to know how Harry got his powers in the first place. "Coaxing" the secret out of Harry's friends took a while. Norman is now back, punishing all of Harry's enemies. Which unfortunately includes JJJ.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 13 July 2007 at 9:56pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yeek.  Harrowing... but in a good way...

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version