Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: JB’s Star Trek Art (older DC) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2007 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was perusing a link to the art section, http://www.artofjohnbyrne.com/cgi-bin/thumbs.pl?CAT=unsorted , when at the bottom of the page I saw several JB drawn images of TOS original characters for what appears to be a WHO'S WHO of Star Trek.  I know JB doesn't feel he does likenesses well but I recognized all of the characters.  And not just from some of the iconic poses. I respect JB's decision not to do licensed characters but it really was a kick to see them.  Especially the Khan montage.  So, several years (decades?) late but man JB, those were great.  Hope you had as much fun drawing them as I did seeing them.

Brian
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 12 September 2007 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

Those were fun to do, indeed, but there were a couple of things that set them aside from licensed property work I have done in the past.

First, I was just tracing photographs. That's okay, and works well when we're dealing with a limited number of images, but it doesn't work for whole issues.

Second, there did not have to be approvals from "on high". Nobody had to sign off on their likenesses. The upcoming Romulan book is the same, which is one of the things that enticed me into doing it.

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks for the info JB.  I'm glad you had fun with it and hope you have even more fun with the new issue.

Brian

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version