Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: ALIEN 3 and the mess it left behind (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was reading some of your thoughts on the new Alien franchise and some like the first film and some thought it was not that good.  Although I think all of the Alien films looked quite intriguing, the later tales, after James Cameron's Aliens, were quite horrible in my opinion.  In the latest Aliens dvd James Cameron mentioned several times in his commentary --through subtext--of how much  he doesn't like the film and hated how easy it was to kill off his characters.  Joss Whedon loathed the third one; he also made some comments that the folks at 20th Century Fox were embarrassed by it and regreted killing Ripley.  What are your opinions of Alien 3 and is it true that it was this film that ruined the franchise?  What was wrong about it that so many fans try not to mentioned its title because it may start a huge argument? 

Edited by Sam Karns on 17 September 2007 at 1:11pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 2  

ALIENS 3 is everything that's wrong about Hollywood, from an incorrect title (it's ALIENS 2) to allowing the real world to affect the plot. (Ripley's saving of Newt is neutered because the actor who played Newt is too old to reprise her roll. Right. Because ALIENS took place 29 second after ALIEN, so ALIENS 3. . . )

I was disappointed with everyone who worked on ALIENS 3.

ALIEN - RESURRECTION I thought was not so bad, on its own, but that might be largely because of two things: I did not find it as bad as 3, and the swimming Aliens were a whole new kind of creepy. The ending sucked (literally!) tho.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

If you ever get a chance, the feature length "making of" doc on the ALIEN QUADRILOGY set for ALIENS 3 is a fascinating watch. It details, often excruciatingly, the battle between studio, director, screenwriter, and franchise.  It's a must see for any fan of behind-the-scenes Hollywood filmmaking.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

is it true that it was this film that ruined the franchise?
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -
The Aliens are still going in AvP and upcoming AvP 2...
other examples:
((Batman is still going in Begins and Dark Knight...
Superman is still going in Returns and upcoming...
Star Trek... etc... etc...))

I don't think it is RUINED... more like stalled for a time... and given hollywood, nothing is really ruined just revamped, regardless of the history...

Besides... there was some nice stuff in 3 and 4 that made it fun to watch...

Only thing that bugged me was the credit to Giger (forgive spelling) was missing in 3 or 4... don't remember which...

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

Alien 3 felt to me like someone had a story of a "monster in a penal colony" horror movie already written and they shoe-horned it into the Aliens franchise.

Real downer of an ending -- I saw it opening night and I remember the audience with confused looks on their faces walking out.

One thing I did like about it was the concept that the alien takes on the form of the organism it infects.  The only aliens we'd seen to this point were bipedal since only humans had been infected. 

Back to Top profile | search | email

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

One thing I did like about it was the concept that the alien takes on the form of the organism it infects.

- -  - -  - -  - -  - -  - -

Now THAT was cool!!!

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

One thing I did like about it was the concept that the alien takes on the form of the organism it infects.

•••

I played with that in ALIENS - EARTH ANGEL, without having seen ALIENS 3 at that point. I was inspired by Geiger's use of a real human skull as the "face" of the alien in the original movie.

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

Aliens Earth Angel fits nicely into the AvP Movie Earth storyline...

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB, I had no idea you had ever done an ALIENS comic. I'll have to see if I can find that.

Christopher Alan Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

There's also the fact that none of the three survivors of Aliens could possibly have been carrying an alien inside of them. Apparently someone must've beamed one aboard.

Tony Meusel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

ALIENS 3 is everything that's wrong about Hollywood, from an incorrect title (it's ALIENS 2)

************************************************************ *********************************

Kevin Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 12  

ALIENS 3 is everything that's wrong about Hollywood, from an incorrect title (it's ALIENS 2)

+++++++++++++++++++++

Actually (!!!) it's Alien 3. No 'S'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103644/

So would that make it technically Alien 2 since Aliens was called Aliens? Or is it Aliens 2 because it's a sequel to Aliens? Or is it just plain old Alien 3 since it is the 3rd movie in the series.

The wife and I were talking about this the other day, as we caught a few minutes of Alien: Resurrection whilst channel surfing.

Truthfully there didn't NEED to be anything beyond Alien. It's a classic that still give me the creeps every thime I  watch it.

However, the Action and adventure in Aliens was really cool at the time. It still stands up all these years later. As a different KIND of movie than the original, I think it deserves it's place in sci-fi/action movie history.

BUT that's where it should have stopped. Alien 3, and Ressurrection were just too much it IS a prime example of  Hollywood seeing the potential for more $$$ and milking the idea. Unfortunately, what we got, didn't satisfy.

edited to add.

Yeah, count me in on finding a copy of that comic as well.

I didn't know you did one either!

edited again well because I can't get it to make the 3 the correct way. Its the small 3 as in "Cubed"  but if you look at the link you'll see.

Edited by Kevin Hanson on 17 September 2007 at 4:07pm

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 13  

I had no idea you had ever done an ALIENS comic. I'll have to see if I can find that.

••

Funny thing about that. Apparently I broke every "rule" there was about what could be done with the Aliens -- but nobody bothered to tell me.

(Another example of Why We Must Never Trust Publishers: EARTH ANGEL was serialized in PREVIEWS {I think}. I agreed to do it only on the condition that when it was eventually collected I would be allowed to add pages that would bridge more smoothly between the "chapters". Had 'em all plotted 'n' everything. Then the time came and I was told "That would be too expensive.")

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 14  

ALIENS 3 or ALIEN 3 -- title is still wrong.

Kevin Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 15  

Well, ok I'll bite.

Could you explain? I really am interested.

Edited to clarify.

Here's the way I see it. If it's Alien 3 then it's the 3rd In the Alien series. Which the movie was. If it were Aliens 3 then yeah, I could see why you say that as it's a direct sequel to Aliens, and "technically" is Aliens 2. BUT since it's the 3rd in the series......

Then you have the whole Mad Max 3 equasion.

Its the 3rd movie, but the 2nd was called Road Warrior. So Mad Max 3 could be called Mad Max 2. BUT since it's a direct sequel to Road Warrior it could be called Road Warrior 2.

See? Thus lies the problem w/ Numbered Sequel Titles!

Edited by Kevin Hanson on 17 September 2007 at 6:13pm

Todd Hembrough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 16  

Third Alien movie, named Alien 3, seems logical to me.

Dont get me started on Leonard Part 6.  That one I dont get.

T

Edited by Todd Hembrough on 17 September 2007 at 6:26pm

Kevin Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 17  

Man....the first 5 must have been a lot worse, since they never released them!

Yeah yeah... I know.....that joke was as bad as Leonard Part 6!

Tony Meusel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 18  

How about  2001 jumping right to 2010.

Kevin Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 19  

Well, it did take place 9 years later.

Gotta wonder about those years in between though.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 20  

RAMBO III, now that's the real screw-up.

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 21  

eventually collected I would be allowed to add pages that would bridge more smoothly between the "chapters". Had 'em all plotted 'n' everything.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JB,
would "n everything" include pencils or inks?

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 22  

I couldn't understand the filmmakers' desire for Alien cube to have such a lack of hope.  Ripley almost gets raped but later wants to die very much, she sees Newt's body spread across the morgue bed and she doesn't shed any sort of emotion.  THIS after going through so much knowing her daughter died and strived so hard to travel through Dante’s inferno (THE HIVE on LV426) to save this girl--so both of them could finally have the family they both deserve.  Based on the making of Doc from Alien CUBE, I was shocked that Fincher and company would think that audiences would rally along or root for a band of inmates who proudly admits that they are rapists and murderers.  Fincher also came up with the stupid idea that the entire cast should be bald headed; there were times during the film where there were chase scenes down along a corridor, I couldn't recognize which convicts were being chased especially when the camera was positioned low angle. 

Ron Farrell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 23  

Sort of like saying that NUMB3RS is a typo (There is a connection between NUMB3RS and the ALIEN franchise).

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 24  

Todd, you didn't really see that movie did you?
Have a Pudding Pop.

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2007 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 25  

Another example of Why We Must Never Trust Publishers: EARTH ANGEL was serialized in PREVIEWS {I think}.

Yes, and the only reason I kept those issues until I was able to get a hold of the collected book.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version