Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 1491 Next >>
Topic: New artwork Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My first commission in awhile, Silver Age Hawkwoman by Gabriel Hardman:

(My scanner isn't big enough for the full thing, so I went for the key part. Any fuzziness is a scanning artifact, not in the actual piece.)
Back to Top profile | search

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Congrats! I was really happy to see him open his list again.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wow. That’s really nice.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Wow, that is a beautiful piece!

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2020 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Fred Chamberlain wrote:
Congrats! I was really happy to see him open his list again.

Yeah, I got on his list within an hour of him opening up (and 2 minutes of me seeing that he had). Hadn't really thought about what I would have him do if given the chance so had to make character selection realtime. Three guesses as to what series I was making my way through at the time... :-) Either way, I'm a happy little camper.       

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2020 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

King Kong commission by Don Simpson!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dwayne Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2020 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hey guys if you like John Byrne original art check out my new site I made to show my collection. The old one was getting a little long in the tooth and I felt I needed to make a new one since people have much faster internet connections and better monitor resolutions now than 15 or so years ago when I made the original ;)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2020 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Added my first lady to the collection.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Terry Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2020 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Been away for a while and can't remember if I've posted this one before (search facility isn't working so I can't check, sorry):

Brian Bysouth's magnificent painting for the 1973 film, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD. I've always been a huge fan of the Charles Schneer and Ray Harryhausen collaborations and to my mind Golden Voyage of Sinbad marks the end of their better efforts (I was never that keen on Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger or Clash of the Titans, which followed on from GVOS). The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is also notable for landing featured actor Tom Baker the subsequent starring role of Dr Who as a result of his performance in the movie (Dr Who producer Barry Letts was really taken by Tom Baker's performance in the Sinbad movie). Studying the artwork in person, I can reveal that Bysouth extended his painting to all three sides of the image area, which were subsequently masked off with pasted paper overlays during production for the resulting printed poster. For whatever reason, the former owner of this artwork had decided to peel away the masked-off areas and captioned materials. Captioned materials have now been re-created by my print-maker friend in Los Angeles, Lloyd Braddy, who has done an exceptional job (thanks again, Lloyd). This acquisition goes to the top of my list of personal favourite movie poster paintings that I currently own.

Edited by Terry Doyle on 24 June 2020 at 4:47pm

Terry Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2020 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Bought this one late last year from Bechara.

Content-wise, the Amazing Spider-Man # 32 splash is undoubtedly at or near the bottom of desirable examples to own, and I'm not kidding myself on that score, but I couldn't care less or be any happier as I think it's a perfect lead-in to the big reveal (on page two of the story) of Doctor Octopus being the mysterious Master Planner. You get a nice establishing shot of the underwater base with the Doc's disembodied voice that will very soon provide the big reveal you'd been waiting a month for. Interestingly, Doc Ock only appears in this second part of the three-issue storyline . . . one of the best (if not THE best) from the ASM run, with # 33 featuring that much-loved and well-remembered sequence of Spidey overcoming all odds to free himself from the colossal weight of machinery pinning him down.

A lot of Ditko's Spidey splashes were symbolic drawings of the story that would only really begin on page two of that month's issue, but eleven issues from Ditko's run featured splashes that were part of the sequential storytelling process . . . and this is one of them.

To the best of my knowledge, less than twenty Ditko ASM splashes have ever made it to (known) public sale, so I feel absolutely thrilled and priveleged to join that small group of owners. 
Oh, and Ditko draws great secret underwater bases and fish . . . ;)

Edited by Terry Doyle on 24 June 2020 at 3:16pm

Terry Doyle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2020 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Recently acquired . . . THOSE LIPS, THOSE EYES by Robert McGinnis.

Those Lips, Those Eyes was a 1980 American romance film directed by Michael Pressman and starring Frank Langella, Glynnis O'Connor, Tom Hulce and Jerry Stiller (who, sadly, recently passed away).

"In the early 1950s, a star-struck Ohio boy, Artie Shoemaker, skips school to work behind the scenes for a touring stock theatrical company.

Inept at his job, Artie is nearly fired until the star of the show, Harry Crystal, takes a liking to him and takes the kid under his wing. Artie becomes smitten with one of the attractive chorus girls from the show, Ramona, a worldly young woman who provides his sexual initiation. But soon the show must move on to another town, leaving Artie alone with his dreams."

Edited by Terry Doyle on 24 June 2020 at 3:25pm

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2020 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The Sinbad poster is very cool, Terry. Congrats.

<< Prev Page of 1491 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version