Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB - Duo Tone (again) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

JB -- I just bought this page (and am searching for the original pencils / ink page if anyone owns it and wishes to sell it).

I searched the forum but could not find any topics dedicated to the use of Duo-Tone, etal in Namor.

I know I read a thread where you discussed it -- I was wondering if you could give me (us) a brief (or longer) breakdown of your decision to use it, the process behind it, etc.

I assume, for instance, that there is an original pencils/ink page that was photocopied onto this duo-tone board.  But your use of the duo-tone in this page is excellent, using it as reflective surface, water ripples, etc, --- VERY VERY cool -- was that planned when you laid out the page - or something that came to you later?

Thanks

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 2  

First I have to ask where you bought this page from. Jim Warden sells all the pages from this period (which, as you deduce, are penciled and inked on a separate sheet from the DuoShade page) as pairs. You buy the DuoShade page, you get the pencil/ink page with it automatically.

The decision to work this way, at first, came from the simple fact that I had not worked with DuoShade before, and wanted to have a second or third or however many chances I needed to get it right.

Using the DuoShade at all was merely another one of my experiments, looking for new and different ways to do the job.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 3  

That page looks great.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 4  

I've seen these pairs for sale on DOA and I've thought...hum which one is the original then? Which one would I want to own ?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 5  

Both are the original.

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 6  

The use of Duo-Shade has long made your work on Namor and OMAC among my favorites.  It would be great to see another black and white project that you could cut loose on with all of the different techniques that are specific to that color scheme.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 7  

First I have to ask where you bought this page from. Jim Warden sells all the pages from this period (which, as you deduce, are penciled and inked on a separate sheet from the DuoShade page) as pairs. You buy the DuoShade page, you get the pencil/ink page with it automatically.

I bought this on eBay (last week).   The other page was not offered, though I am happy with having THIS page which is the page used for publication.   I will email the seller and see if they have the original page (pencils, etc.).

JB -- thanks for asking -- it means a lot that you would look out for your fan's purchases to make sure they're legit.

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 8  

For fun (for those who care) -- this is how the duo-tone came out on the published page:

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 9  

So the person(probably a member here, right?) you bought this page  from first bought the duo pages from Jim and must have considered the non-duoshade as the original. Pat, next time, buy directly from Jim and you'll get both "originals."

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

If Jim had this page -- I would have bought from him.  However, the Namor pages Jim has listed aren't this good.

I'm happy with just this page (it is the PUBLISHED page after all) -- but if the other one surfaces, I sure hope I can nab it.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

I agree - that's a great page. One of his first issues using Duo-Shade, if I remember correctly, yes? It's the type of page that I don't think can still be conveyed properly using today's computer coloring techniques.

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

I agree.

As I mentioned - the use of the duotone as water reflection and refraction is excellent and really pops on the page I have.

JB using the duotone in Namor is something I really enjoyed about his art during that time.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version