Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q 4 JB re AF: Proportions (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 1  

I do know how inches and feet work but I am unable to "visualise" size like this. I have to put pen to paper and do the maths. Last time I calculated my size I think I got 5' 7'' but apart from this and easy ones like 6' it doesn't really make sense in my mind. Please join the metric system soon !

edited for spelling

Edited by Philippe Negrin on 14 November 2007 at 8:38am
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 2  

Yes, Philippe, this is how it is. I don't dare to try the web application link provided by Joakim there. The reason is, I have tried the cult site (or sites since there are millions of them) Herbalife unit converson and it's very bad. The "Kinesiology converson" is probably mathematically correct, thanks for that, Greg, but 6"2' seems to be a very common standard height you talk about and you have to get it to our standard height. We have one, we say around 1.90 meters (my height I guess) and then around 1.80, 1.75 etc. If you had said 6"2' is 1.90 it might be true since yours and mine have twho figures, the 0 discounted. It can't be more accurate when converted, it has to stay on the same level. This is the problem with Herbalife also.

(edited spelling)

Edited by Lars Johansson on 14 November 2007 at 10:58am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 3  

Alpha Flight topics bring a huge smile to my face.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

Not sure I understood why you feared to use the link Lars, but to each his own.

While we're on the subject of inches and feet... how many inches are there on one foot (never really thought about that before, but Greg's 74 inches made me realise that there can't ben only ten)?

O and Lars, you wrote 6"2' which as far I understand (and JB's post corresponds to this) would read 6 inches and 2 feet rather than the other way around. Just FYI. :)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

how many inches are there on one foot

12, and thanks for the correction. Had it been 10, wee woudn't have anything to complain about, it would be another metric system.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

If I use standard "heroic" proportions for Guardian @ 9 heads high as a measure, how many heads are Sasquatch and Box drawn at, respectively?  Thanks in advance for your reply.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Glenn, since JB already answered, I'll offer my 2 cents.  You're actually opening a bit of can of worms when it comes to "rules".  Sasquatch and Box fall into the category of breaking them(in my opinion).  They don't have human/heroic proportions so you can't really use the "rule".  The Thing and the Hulk are other good examples of this.

I don't have it handy but I would suggest digging out the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe or something like it and just do the proportions yourself.  It's a good excercise and/or experiment.  I would guess in the first place that JB might have drawn the characters by what instinctively looked right rather than a formula.

Edited by Andy Mokler on 14 November 2007 at 2:53pm

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

okay, I got curious and found a Sasquatch sketch in the gallery so...

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

Sasquatch just doesn't conform to many of the rules set up by Loomis, Buscema, etc.  He's 5 1/2 heads tall(rather than 7 1/2-9), almost 5 heads(rather than 2-3) from shoulder to shoulder, his hands hang to mid calf (rather than mid thigh), etc.

I think I know where you're coming from though.  For me, I've always tried to find out what "it" is.  What's the secret formula or process that artists like JB use to make those wonderful pictures.  There's got to be some equation or secret to what these guys do, right?  I don't think so.  You can know all the rules and still not be able to come up with what these guys come up with.  Sasquatch isn't in any of the rulebooks and you just have to have "it" to come up with things like that(in my opinion).  How can one's imagination be scaled and categorized?

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

As far as Guardian being 9 heads tall, here is Black Bolt as an example of JB's hero body style proportions:

If he was standing up completely straight, he would be in the 7-7 1/2 heads tall range.  9 is a little on the outer extreme in terms of proportion from what I've seen.  Most of the time 7 1/2 - 8 is where I see these diagrams fall.  Hard to argue with Loomis but I think most of the time 9 wouldn't be what you see in comics.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

Ryan Maxwell wrote:
Alpha Flight topics bring a huge smile to my face.

Considering why I asked John for the relative proportions, Ryan, this one definitely should make you smile..!

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

:^)

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

Hulk/Sasquatch/Thing etc. are broader and that's why the head/height ratio is so low. The 7 1/2 to 9 ratio is to emphasize the "heroic" height of the figure and the smaller head to chest. Therefore, to emphasize the unreal physique to the other extreme, you reduce the count while extending the width. Kinda like funhouse mirrors?

Back to Top profile | search

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version