Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: On Drawing FX (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 1  

Wayne's series, I mean. Not effects in the drawings (tho I will touch on that, too).

People often ask about the "process" of makin' these hyar pitchers, and FX has been (and continues to be) a unique experience. So far I have worked on only two projects where I have inked unlettered pages (that would later have lettering on them). FX is one, and the upcoming ROMULANS book is the other. But FX is different from ROMULANS in a significant way.

Working on ROMULANS, I treated the pages much like I do any other comic pages, being aware that much of the top third or so of each panel was going to be covered with copy, so keeping in mind that there was not much point in putting artwork, or at least detailed artwork, where balloons and captions would have to go. Why draw something that was going to vanish in the printed book? Some might say, to make the pages look better for subsequent resale, but that's something about which I worry less and less. As I have progressed in my career, and my approach to the pages, I have found myself being concerned more and more with what the printed page will look like, and less and less with what the original art looks like. Sometimes, in fact, the originals can be pretty messy, with scratch technique and white-out and paste-up and dry-brush and all kinds of other tricks of the trade used to get effects that will look good in the finished book, but look like crap on the originals. On ROMULANS, too, I have resorted to doing a lot of the "effects" on the scans I sent to IDW. So, for instance, on the originals I did not bother to spot many of the larger black areas, such as outer space. Why waste time that could be spent drawing, I reasoned, when I can fill in those areas on the scans with a single click of the mouse? Ditto the starfields. Why spend time dotting the page with white-out when I can sweep a specially formatted "brush" tool across the space, and do the job not only much faster, but much better?

FX is different, tho. FX I am approaching much more as if each page was an individual commission piece, so, like the commission pieces, I not only look for ways of doing more-or-less the same "effects" without messing up the page, but also keep in mind that Wayne is not, like a normal publisher, merely buying my work on the job, he is also buying the finished pages. Unlike the publishers, Wayne gets physical ownership, and that means I am trying to produce finished pages that, in many cases, have fairly detailed artwork even in places I know balloons and captions will have to go.

It makes for an interesting thinking process, and as I bounce occasionally over to other projects (such as the other STAR TREK related mini for IDW), I have to remind myself not to "waste" time and talent drawing in places I will later have to place copy.

Back to Top profile | search

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 2  

Interesting. Do you find it to be a stretching of your artistic muscles, then, or
finding new solutions to old problems? And if so, can you give examples
without spoiling too much?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 3  

Same muscles. Just filling all the spaces, or almost all, which usually I don't.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks for the peek into your thinking.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 5  

It's interesting to see how the age of digital compositing has altered the
industry -- the more paintery style of colorization, the lack of lettering on
pages, non-spotted blacks, and so on. How much more time is saved by
scanning and then digitally creating the effects that in the old days would've
been done by more analog means? Well, I know for a fact that it takes a lot
less time to do a starfield than it used to... all that frisket cutting (or
whatever the preferred medium used) to mask out the stuff you didn't want
to spatter with whiteout...

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 6  

All I know is keep doing what you're doing because the pages look great.

WO

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 7  

Preordering this book was no problem here, at least it seems so, so any other JB fan in the four corners of the world can most likely order the series.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 8  

JB wrote:
"Unlike the publishers, Wayne gets physical ownership, and that means I am trying to produce finished pages that, in many cases, have fairly detailed artwork even in places I know balloons and captions will have to go."

Out of curiousity, while I think this approach is great for Wayne in his role as art owner, I can't help but wonder how it affects Wayne in his role as script writer. I recall having read somewhere about some artist (Kirby?) leaving certain times of spaces open, so as to have his script writer (Stan Lee?) work for his money in a sense, filling the emptiness on the page with words. Similarly I think I for my own part would possibly feel awkward in Wayne's position if any words I use would have to be minimal or risk blocking nice looking stuff.
As stated just curious about this, both if JB has thought anything about it, and how Wayne is approaching this when scripting.

Lars - what store do you order from? I didn't think that FX had been solicited yet.

Edited by Joakim Jahlmar on 07 December 2007 at 10:42am

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 9  

I just had chat with the owner at the store at Odenplan and he said no problem, though it's not time for ordering yet. Some distributors are troublesome (such as the American Rocky distributor has casued some raised eyebrows there, you never know what you get according to him).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Deuser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 10  

The possibility of numerous Easter Eggs that only Wayne can see makes this project a real treat to follow here...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 11  

Will Eisner interviewing Gil Kane was surprised how clean his originals looked - "yes, it all has to be immaculate", Kane responded and Eisner chuckled, "you´d be aghast to look at my stuff!" 

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

Hm, should probably have a chat with my local store as well soon. Though I've been thinking about using somebody else... Can't really decide.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version