Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Who would you like to see Captain Marvel fight? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 1  

I thought it'd be good to do another "dream battles" topic. The ones for Superman, Batman, GL, Flash, Aquaman, Hawkman and Wonder Woman were all very interesting.

As always, what never-before-seen battle would you like to see DC's Captain Marvel have? And why? You can go intercompany if you wish.

I can't recall ever seeing a punch-up between Captain Marvel and Solomon Grundy. At times, Grundy seems strong enough to take on the likes of Superman and Captain Marvel. As a specatcle, I'd like to see him have a punch up with Marvel.

I'd like to see The Joker kidnap Billy Batson and then have to deal with Captain Marvel later on.

As usual, The Riddler is always an interesting choice. I would love to see almost every superhero tackle him at some point because we know Batman is used to solving his riddles, but would the likes of Superman, Marvel and Spider-Man handle such riddles?

Intercompany, I'd like to see The Abomination and The Rhino team up to take on Marvel. He could probably handle The Rhino easily in a solo encounter, but The Abomination would be difficult. So how would he handle them if their forces were combined? Captain Marvel/Juggernaut would also be a good scrap.

Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 2  

I'd like to see Captain Marvel take on Doctor Doom or Magneto.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John C. Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 3  

Thor

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 4  

Captain Marvel against the Fright Four, the U-Foes, or the Red Ghost and
his Super Apes would make for a fantastic confrontation as well.

Oh, and Billy Batson vs Robby Reed, anyone?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

I want to see Captain Marvel fight his way out of a paper bag.  Some bad guy throws Billy into a giant paper bag that Captain Marvel can't punch his way out of.  And when he does figure out how to get out of that, he finds that paper bag was inside of a bigger, stronger paper bag.
And then I want to see Captain Marvel take on a bunch of phoney advertisers who've bamboozled the public into believing anything they tell them.  When they realize Cap's onto them, they start a campaign against capes and flashy costumes. Trouble ensues...
And then I want to see him investigate a series of missing cats only find the culprit to be an alligator on vacation from the Everglades, walking around town in disguise so he can get proper service in a restaurant.  Problem is, the disguise isn't working all that well, so he can't get proper service in a restaurant... And now that Cap shows up to further ruin his holiday, he's plenty mad!  Croc fight!!
And then I want him to battle a rubbery, stretchy guy who keeps disappearing before Cap can land a decent punch on him.  He turns out to be the Greek god Proteus, mad at Captain Marvel because his wife left him and is now living on Earth sending him letters telling him she's dating Captain Marvel.
And then I want him to go up against a group of college froshes who've made a bet as to how many times they can bean Cap in the head with canned vegatables and get away with it.
And then a ventriloquist is hired by Sivana to imitate Billy's voice and steal his thunder.  Unfortunately, he speaks through his dummy when he does it, and it's the dummy who gains the powers, going on a block-headed rampage through the city.
And then I want an evil wizard to show up who had been a foe of Shazam's from the distant past and argue in court that he's the rightful possessor of Captain Marvel's powers since he owned the equivalant of a copyright on the magicks Shazam used to first gain favor with the various pantheons he's gathered to empower his champions.  Lots of good courtroom testimony from the likes of Zues, Mercury, Solomon, Hera, and so on...
Maybe an invasion of Venusian Glompers after that, fighting to regain their queen, Beautia Sivana.

Basically, I just want Cap to be fun to read, and accessible to all.  Silly to semi-serious set-ups, leading to exciting adventure stories, all done with a straight face and some subtext that actually has something to say. Once we re-establish who Captain Marvel is, then the occasional crossover with the Metal Men or the Fantastic Four would be fun.  It don't think Reed would believe in "magic words" and "mystic lightning" at face value.  At the very least, a house call from Dr. Strange would be called for.  Maybe Ben could get stuck at the Rock of Eternity and gain the ability to change back and forth between forms for the duration of the story. Captain Marvel: Lost in Asgard, battling frost giants and Hela's Army of the Dead..  Again, maintaining the tone of a Captain Marvel story is the key.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

Wallace, good call on the Robbie Reed match-up!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
And then I want to see him investigate a series of missing cats only find the culprit to be an alligator on vacation from the Everglades, walking around town in disguise so he can get proper service in a restaurant.  Problem is, the disguise isn't working all that well, so he can't get proper service in a restaurant... And now that Cap shows up to further ruin his holiday, he's plenty mad!  Croc fight!!

That is a good idea, Brian.

I used to love some of the Captain Marvel stories I read. There was one where a crook was using a "charm spray" which made people give him gifts. Those tales were always fun.

Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thanks, Brian. I share your desire to see fun, accessible stories featuring
Cap.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

Captain Mar-Vell.

Is that too obvious?

Brian: Some great story ideas, there.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

No one. Captain Marvel should not fight. He should stop runaway
locomotives, catch falling planes, rescue stray cattle, and never, ever, ever
throw a punch.

In short, what Brian said.

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

From DC: Joker

From Marvel: Ultron (classic version)

José Emilio Amo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2008 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

Silver Surfer and Galactus from Marvel

from DC... I don't know, he fought against Superman, it was fine for me.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version