Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: JBF Reading Club: Alpha Flight #17 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 1  

Sigh...more Guardian.  With zero knowledge of what happened in the AF appearances years earlier in X-Men, seeing the opening splash made me a happy kid.  I was more than a little let down to find out it was a flashback. 

Still, great to see JB returning to the inking for a brief time.  The additional background on Hudson's dealings with Dept H and the Canadian government help flesh out his character, and just a hint of inner turmoil after nearly taking Moira's head off.   And who knew that the team's strongest member was a young redhead in glassses...

Double sigh...Aurora's third straight naked appearance.  Love the ankle bracelet!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 2  

One of my favorite issues.  That cover sings, as the chance to see Guardian again made it enjoyable and depressing at the same time. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 3  

During the time I was doing FF and ALPHA, Marvel changed the schedules. They were -- wisely -- trying to build in more "office time", production time, when paste up and art corrections could be done in a leisurely manner, and not as last second scrambles. Unfortunately, they insisted on revamping the schedules retroactively, so one morning I awoke to learn I had lost a month. (I was fortunately ahead of schedule, but Frank Miller awoke that same morning to find himself suddenly a month late!) They did this twice, with the cumulative effect of me ending my run on FANTASTIC FOUR a month behind schedule, when I had started three months ahead, and produced no less than one book per month for my whole run.

Anyway, this issue was structured as it is in an effort to recapture some of my lost time. Those few reprint pages bought me an extra couple of days.

Back to Top profile | search

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 4  

During the time I was doing FF and ALPHA, Marvel changed the schedules. They were -- wisely -- trying to build in more "office time", production time, when paste up and art corrections could be done in a leisurely manner, and not as last second scrambles. Unfortunately, they insisted on revamping the schedules retroactively, so one morning I awoke to learn I had lost a month. (I was fortunately ahead of schedule, but Frank Miller awoke that same morning to find himself suddenly a month late!)

Could you imagine a publisher doing that now? 

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 5  

And with the reprinted pages, we can't help but notice the evolution of Mr. Byrne's art. Cool issue!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 6  

The issue is fairly significant in that this was the first time JB gave Wolverine a significant amount of dialogue. One of the few times that he ever had the chance to.

JB, it was interesting to see you write him as a "kinder, gentler" Logan. Was this a case of you playing with the hand you were dealt?

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 7  

Geoff -

Happens all the time.

I'm in publishing, and we get our schedules switched constantly. Not rare to
find that, instead of having a month to finish a book, we have a week.
"If we get this out in a week, we'll make an extra $5,000" or "We just found
out we need to have more product on the shelves!"
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 8  

And this was another great issue in a long line of great issues. Fitting the
reprint pages in to the story was a nice way of learning more behind the
earlier story.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 9  

My first (adult) reaction to those reprint pages -- what a great inker Terry Austin was and is.   He truly captured JB's line - 'cause the transistion from JB inks to TA inks is seemless (mostly).

This was one of my favorite issues of the run since it added great back-story to my all-time favorite issue of X-Men (my first issue).  I think a read this issue as many times as X-Men 109.

I REALLY miss JB's Alpha Flight.  Maybe the comic Gods will smile a JB will get a itchy finger to create a one-shot for Marvel one day soon -- or clone his earlier creation into a new independant book (like he did with FF in DU) -- that would be neat.

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 10  

-- oh -- I also recall that this issue was when I first realized that the interior art of comics was not always by the cover artist -- when I compared the two covers (AF & XMen) and realized JB had not drawn the original.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 11  

I just love the sight of Major Chasen with his amputated necktie! 

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2008 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 12  

Andrew:

I meant DC or Marvel.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version