Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB - Boy of Steel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2008 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

<<< If you're not feeling drama or suspense because you know Superboy will eventually become Superman, it may be time for you to find a new hobby.>>>

Thanks for the suggestion, friend. Now kindly stick it in your ear.
Back to Top profile | search

Lloyd White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 2  

And I'm not sure what all the fuss is about how the Legion of Superheroes got "ruined" by Superboy's elimination from continuity. It wouldn't have been that hard to write him out of the stories completely... what with Mon El and Ultra Boy around. For that matter, how hard could it have been to simply postulate a Superboy and Supergirl that were later descendants of Superman?

+++

It would have been about the same as saying that Cyclops was never an X-Man, and just 'inserting' Havok into his role in the old stories and then later introducing him as Xavier's long-lost biological son. Would that have "ruined" the X-Men?

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks for the suggestion, friend. Now kindly stick it in your ear.

GREAT response to a troll! I will remember that, Glenn!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 12:32am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
It would have been about the same as saying that Cyclops was never an X-Man, and just 'inserting' Havok into his role in the old stories and then later introducing him as Xavier's long-lost biological son. Would that have "ruined" the X-Men?

More like Xavier not being part of the X-Men.  The X-Men coming together for a completely different reason/inspiration.

You can reboot the Legion and the JLA without Superboy, Supergirl, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman.... but then you're dropping the teams down a notch.  And with the Legion, not only were they created based on the inspiration of the Superboy legend, but they served as a part of Superboy's training.  They not only lose the spark that created their team, they also lose a powerful connection to 20th century continuity and their place in the history of DC's most important character.

You can have a Legion without Superboy, but it becomes a lower tier team.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 5  

No sense of drama or suspense? With all due respect, I've got to agree with JB on this one. If you're not feeling drama or suspense because you know Superboy will eventually become Superman, it may be time for you to find a new hobby.

++++++++++++++

The funniest thing about that is that JB has pretty much said the exact opposite, since the "Superboy Syndrome" is an exception, as described here (at least I hope I understood it correctly).

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 6  

I agree with Kurt. Being part of the Legion is part of what enables Superboy to transition into Superman. Prior to the Legion, he's a pretty big deal on Earth, no doubt about it, but I think his adventuring with the Legion, in addition to providing him with a group of peers that he can relate to, prepares him for the (literally) universal influence that he is destined to attain as an adult.

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 05 February 2008 at 1:05am

Lloyd White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 7  

Kurt and Ron,

The elements you describe regarding Superboy's time with the Legion and its profound effect upon him (and vice versa) are integral to Geoff John's excellent storyline currently unfolding in Action Comics.  If you are a fan of Superboy and the Legion, check it out--you might enjoy it.

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:02am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm loving the current ACTION -- I hope this version of LSH sticks around for a while.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:35am | IP Logged | 9  

Already on that , Lloyd, and may I say, loving the latest Mike Grell cover.

John Staton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 10  

Young Clark did use his powers for good in Byrne's run. I recall the scrapbook Ma Kent kept. Headlines about an unkown guardian angel swooping in and saving the day.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 11  

John Byrne

Superboy was not "declared off limits". The choice to leave him out of the canon was mine. But, as noted many times, that choice was made with the assurance from the Powers That Were that I would be able to do a Superman who was still learning the ropes. Then, after the contracts were signed, they reneged on that promise.

This comes off as a situation where you got into the project to tell your stories and DC invited you in to exploit your status. Have you ever come across a situation where story elements were clearly stated in a legal agreement?

Charles Tzu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 12  

GREAT response to a troll! I will remember that, Glenn!

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but did this person not simply express a sentiment that JB himself has expressed on numerous occasions? My memory may be faulty at times, but I believe this "suggestion," if that is what it was, is very much in keeping with JB's views. In your view, does this make JB a troll?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version