You know, as a teacher, I can't teach less than the core content, and I don't
get extra time to do it: 187 days--no more, no less. I can't tell my principal,
"You know what? I don't have a lesson on persuasive writing because it's just
not ready yet. When it's ready, I'll do it."
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

I have racked my brains trying to come up with real world jobs in which the kind of nonsense we see in comics today would be tolerated. I took much longer than expected because I was getting it right!

Only thing I can come up with is certain kinds of delicate surgery or possibly space program stuff. And, hey, comics are not brain surgery or rocket science!!

Bryan White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

I get to do desktop support work for rocket scientists and engineers and these guys get some real cast in admantium deadlines.  I guess its something about a launch window to Mercury or Pluto being pretty precise. 

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

I hope they're not late shooting down that satellite.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

Only thing I can come up with is certain kinds of delicate surgery or possibly space program stuff. And, hey, comics are not brain surgery or rocket science!!

---

But even then, JB, the analogy falls apart. If you're in the middle of delicate surgery, they can't keep you under anasthetic indefinitely. And the space program is all about testing and retesting and working through hypotheticals before actually doing anything. That way, when ^%$*^ does go wrong, like Apollo 13, the people in charge have the ability to work quickly to solve problems because they know the systems inside and out.

No, I think you got it right the first time. There are no real world examples where this type of behaviour is acceptable and even rewarded.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

"I'm goddam Neil Armstrong! I'll take that one small step out on the moon when I'm good and ready!"

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

"I'm goddam Neil Armstrong! I'll take that one small step out on the moon when I'm good and ready!"

---

Ha ha ha!! Reminds me of the Onion headline about the Moon Landing - "Holy Shit! Man Lands on the Fucking Moon!"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

More recently, George Perez also drew Avengers #1-15.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

More recently, George Perez also drew Avengers #1-15

I think they were starting to ship late or something, because the 3 part fill in was to help put the book back on schedule (I say this from memory!).  I do know for sure there was at least one month when he was drwing the Titans that it wasn't published due to being behind schedule (I got a note in the mail, because I had a subscripton).

Recently, though, Perez has had some real physical problems.  He certainly isn't growing roses!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

Actually, the music industry is a good analogy. How long have we been waiting for Chinese Democracy?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron Sluyter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

I saw Axl Rose and his mock Guns N Roses perform some of Chinese Democracy last  year.  I don'nt think anyone is waiting.  Furthermore, a lot of comics survive on momentum.  There have been plenty of times I started reading a comic, it starts shipping late and eventually I forget all about when the wait gets to be too long. 

Steve Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

Overall I despise late books and have dropped many for that reason. Especially when it isn't very good, you are the best? I hate to say it but I will wait but if you're good? I'm going to buy something else. Blue Beetle is a good comic with decent art but if that artist started being late and the company let him I would drop that title. 

Though I tend to give the artist a pass if the product is obviously made for a trade and not necessarily for the stands.

The Ultimates is probably the best example of this, I think Hitch froze up at a certain point thinking that the title was going to be an Evergreen and therefore had to be perfect; whatever it took. And most of the time on that particular title the long wait didn't hurt the story for me. Except for the last issue, if I had only had to wait a month for it I don't think I would have been disappointed but because I had waited seven or eight months I was expecting it be incredible. Which was unfair as it had climaxed the issue before and the last issue was essentially the denouement. Then again imagine how propulsive that story could have been if it was actually published monthly all the way through?

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version