Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 68 Next >>
Topic: What constitutes a swipe? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

Man, you guys are really hard on poor Godland....
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

…there is no harm in Tom Scioli's work. Nor is there any harm in enjoying his work. He's certainly not hurting Jack Kirby's legacy in any way -- in fact, his entire audience probably consists entirely of die-hard Kirby fans.

••

If "die-hard Kirby fans" can look at this "soul-less mockery" of Kirby's work (to borrow Andrew's phrase), and not be disgusted by it, I would say there is a lot of harm.

I think of Shakespeare's verse in a slightly different context…

Who steals my purse steals trash; t'is something, nothing;
T'was mine, t'is his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

Soul-less mockery...I just don't see it, JB.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

What I'd like to know is where-in lies the harm of GODLAND and the notion of Kirby's world, not his art, as a genre?

Definition of genre: –noun
1. a class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like: the genre of epic poetry; the genre of symphonic music.

dictionary.com...

I don't think it's horseshit to point to Kirby's post-Silver Age work as a genre, since nothing else like it existed. So specific and unique to Kirby was this brand of story-telling.

"Harm" is relative-- obviously no one's getting hurt.  The "harm" I see of calling Kirby a genre is what it does to the word genre.  It's a big deal to invent a new genre.  They don't get invented often and if you do it, then you better be able to define it and explain it and then pass it on for others to work in.  If Godland is working in the "genre" of Kirby, then what does it do specifically that distinguishes it from other stories about cosmic adventure like Simonson, JB or Frenz working with Thor, the FF or Silver Surfer?  In my opinion, those guys get Kirby more right than Godland. 

Godland is what it is and I don't have a huge problem with it.  I don't like it because I'm so distracted by the style.  I call it a pastiche-- it's a bunch of Kirby-esque ideas packaged by guys who are not Kirby.   It's executed with obvious passion and care.  I can understand that without liking it.  I just don't want to see it achieve the status of inventing a new genre without earning every ounce of that honor.

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well, theres no reason to be specifically focusing on 'poor' GØDLAND .

There are MANY other Artists out there doing nearly the exact thing.. As I listed before..the Mignola clones number in the dozens, I'm sure.

Its probably just the fact that its KIRBY, that people are taking unfairly stronger offense to.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

I concur(can't believe i said that), if I saw a soul-leess mockery in Godland I would be disgusted but I see something different. Each to their own.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

Is Godland using the artist's choice of style as a marketing tool? Just curious...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

I consider Kirby to have been a force of nature but not his own genre.  He certainly helped define at least one genre, however.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
There are MANY other Artists out there doing nearly the exact thing.. As I listed before..the Mignola clones number in the dozens, I'm sure.

Incidentally, at least one of those is endorsed by Mignola himself.  Duncan Fegredo appears to be have taken the drawing reins for HELLBOY from Mignola, who has apparently given up drawing the comics.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

So let me get this straight --- we start out excoriating some artists for copying poses from other artists, and we end up justifying an artist who is making a living by copying (badly) another artist's whole style.

That about right?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

Incidentally, at least one of those is endorsed by Mignola himself. Duncan Fegredo appears to be have taken the drawing reins for HELLBOY from Mignola, who has apparently given up drawing the comics.

••

Show me Kirby's endorsement of Scioli, and I'll shut up.

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

That , to me, would be a little sad..Ive always liked Duncan's work. I'd hate to see him just start  doing Hellboy in Mignola's style only.

Hellboy is an interesting character to work on, as he seems completely beholden to Mignola's style  to seem  'right'.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 68 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version