Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 68 Next >>
Topic: What constitutes a swipe? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

I dont think theres an Artist out there who hasn't 'lifted' some elements of another Artists style.
  " Hmm, I'd like to put some Neal Adams cape here" Or.."Some shiny hair here like Michael Golden" there.
 When I was just starting  to draw, reading comics, I used to trace and copy all my favorite Artists..its how you learn.
 .The famous Byrne lower lip shine on women was  a favorite of mine. ( Although its entirely possible it came before John, thats where <I> first became aware of it.)

But entirely aping another comic Artists STYLE is just coat tailing to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

I applaud Tom Scioli's efforts on Godland.

••

Well, hey then! Let's go dig up Kirby's bones so you can kick 'em around!

What Scioli is doing on GODLAND is what all the worst of the Kirby
imitators do -- grabbing for the stylization without any of the literally
decades of solid drawing that lies under and behind that stylization.
Kirby isn't just squared off fingertips and lots of little dots in explosions.
Kirby is a full body of work, and that body of work serves as a
counterbalance to those few shortcomings that seem to be all his
imitators can manage to capture.

A true fan, a true admirer of Jack Kirby should be disgusted by
GODLAND, not applauding it. (And Image, the Oh, Look! We are just
like Kirby! See how Marvel is Ripping Us Off!
brigade, should be
ashamed for publishing it.)
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm glad I plowed through all five pages before throwing in my two-bits. A few of my points have been made already (which means I don't have to type as much!)

I'm squarely from the intent camp. A homage wants to be recognized. It draws attention to itself, shouts "Look, I'm having fun with this idea!" and those of us who remember the original source material appreciate the reference and the joke. For the most part, we are dealing with recognizable, iconic images, and often the original source image / artist are given credit.

Conversely, a swipe is a shortcut, a solution to a problem using another person's ingenuity to resolve a panel design, difficult layout, storytelling problem, etc. Unlike the homage, the swipe does not want to be recognized; it wants to be accepted as the artist's own work.

The former still engenders a degree of creativity to put a new spin on an old idea and make it more that just a copy of the original. The latter indicates a lack of creatively.

I thought the cover song analogy was particularly apt -- taking the familiar, but making it your own. More importantly, paying royalties and giving credit to those whose creative work you are building upon.

But the allusion is relevant for another reason not yet discussed: What constitutes plagiarism (to which any discussion of swipes must turn, ultimately)? As George Harrison found out, three notes, if they are the right three notes (as learned in the "He's So Fine / My Sweet Lord" lawsuit). I think swipes have an equally low threshold when they are so obvious.

Finally, I was reading one of the TwoMorrows publications that featured a two-page spread with nearly 100 comics that have the “Crisis 7” pose, dating back to the 1940s and carrying through to today. It’s a heavily used image through the history of the medium. But it would be nice of someone looked back a little further and recognized that Michelangelo’s “Pieta” outdates them all…

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jesus Garcia wrote:
JB has often said that he felt his art is not big enough for Thor (I disagree) but can we not infer from his opinion that there is some "bigness" in the Kirby style/vision itself that is essential to Thor?

Sure, but it's one thing to try to match the grandeur.  It's another to try to match the linework.  (I thought Walt Simonson did a pretty good job of doing the first, while avoiding the second.)

Edited by Dave Phelps on 21 February 2008 at 1:20pm

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

"The famous Byrne lower lip shine on women was  a favorite of mine"

So famous, I have no clue what you are talking about lol

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

Hahaha..strangely, THAT to me is quintessential John Byrne! Makes me feel all warm and  fuzzy!!
 <edited to add> I am AMAZED actually, considering how influential Byrne is in comics to so many, that there isnt ONE obvious Byrne aper out there.

Edited by Stephen Sadowski on 21 February 2008 at 1:27pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

You are famous for that John?  I mean rubble yes, Kirby Krackle, sure thing, but lip shine?

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

Here I do NOT agree.  I liked Todd's art.  I still do.  His art was dynamic and I still like his Spider-Man.  The Image guys can draw.  It is a different style, but they can draw.  Jim Lee is VERY talented;  Larsen is HUGELY talented; Portacio is likewise very good.  Even Rob had his moments.

I'll give you Larsen.  Erik's very expressive, does awesome facial expressions, and is a hell of a storyteller.  I really, really like his Savage Dragon stuff, especially since issue 100 or so.  He's become my favorite of the bunch.  Not convinced on the other guys, though Jim Lee does great covers.

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 10  

Thanks for the pic John.  I am so used to seeing JB drawn characters that I often miss these subtle things....

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yeah, you might be right about my standing as a Jack Kirby fan. I'll have to reflect on it. Thing is, I'm a fan of the artist, the storyteller, AND The Man.

I wonder ... I wonder what Kirby would say about Scioli.

Maybe it's just my reading, but from the views expressed in the Jack Kirby Collector and some interviews I've come across youtube, I kinda think Kirby would be flattered. He would have a feeling that his work, and the love of it, has influenced. Imagine if one of his kids would be carrying on the Kirby style instead of Scioli: would that be more palatable? In fact, isn't it what is going on with Blondie right now? I might be wrong there.

Also, bear in mind that Scioli is not saying that his stuff is as good or better than Kirby's but that he loves the material so much that he just feels the need to dish it out. He was doing this well before he went professional so it's not strictly about the money.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 21 February 2008 at 1:35pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 12  

In my understanding, the Image Seven were the beneficiaries of a Marvel marketing machine that was on overdrive in the late 80's / early 90's. The purpose of marketing is to portray product as something better than it actually is. IMO, most of us fans bought into the Marvel lie, that these guys were the future of comic books.

I think they did the right thing for themselves. They struck out on their own, hijacked that marketing "momentum" from Marvel and have sustained themselves to this day. If they didn't, Marvel would have replaced them with another crop of implausible superstars, sooner or later.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 21 February 2008 at 1:33pm

<< Prev Page of 68 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version