Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Your reaction to Alpha Flight #29 & post-Byrne AF in general? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 1  

Thanks to the blurb in #28 it wasn't a surprise but when the issue came it was such a disheartening read...

It paled so badly to the previous 28 issues...the art style was just too different and I have never seen a comic with word balloons that were as crammed as this one. The coloring was no longer vibrant and seemed bleached out.

In the following issues things did not improve...gone was the mini-team concept that allowed for richer characterization in favor of a "Team Book"...it was a drastic let down after Byrne's superior work.

It wasn't all bad...there were a few gems like the creation of Wanda Langkowski to get Sasquatch back and the use of the Franklin expedition to create a memorable villian in Pesitlance.

But after around #50 when they tried to pass Aurora and Northstar off as elf twins the wheels completly came off the wagon...at best there were maybe one or two readable issues between 50 and the cancellation of Volume One.

Just wondering how others felt about seeing one of the best series ever completly implode.

Back to Top profile | search

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 2  

While they obviously don't hold a candle to the JB run; issues Twenty-Nine through Fifty-Six (or so) have a special place in my comic reading history.  My older brother had a subscription and I would sneak into his room and read them while he was out doing whatever teenagers did.  Plus that run gave us some great artwork from Mike Mignola, Dave Ross and Jim Lee's first Marvel work.

I would agree with you though that the wheels came completely off the bus when Northstar and Aurora were revealed to be elves.  That was one of the most out of left-field twists.  Though issue 50 had some great art too from June Brigman and Whilce Portacio.  See I can't help but try to find some positives.  Damn nostalgia!

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 3  

While I can't remember where it was, the revelation of Puck actually being a tall guy under a demon spell was total crap...

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 4  

Twenty-nine and beyond?  What are you guys talking about?  AF 28 was the last issue ever published for our favorite Canadians...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

A definite down grade in the book after JB left.  I think it went from great to merely good for about the next year.  I don't remember all the stories, but I stopped reading it around #40.  After that the stories just lost my interest.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

I first encountered Alpha Flight after JB had left. I didn't like it, so never bothered to go back and read the earlier stuff, since I didn't know I WOULD like that.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

Bill Mantlo's Alpha Flight killed my love for comics. Period.

I came back once after that (to comics in general, not AF), but the love was
gone, and by then there was no love evident from the creators and
companies to rekindle my own.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

cancelled my subscription.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeremy Boyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think I read Alpha Flight 29 and 30 and then stopped buying. Mantlo's
Alpha Flight sucked monkeyballs.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

#29 was so bad that I'm glad I got it as a back issue.  After that, I think Mantlo tended to be hit and miss.  The problem was that when he missed (Puck, elves, etc.), he MISSED.  Oy!  I did like #51 up, though. 

Fortunately, James Hudnall came on board and did a lot to redeem the series.  His 20 issues or so were quite good, telling interesting stories while finding ways to "fix" certain characters that actually worked in the context of the series.  Unfortunately, an editorial shift bumped him off the book.

Nicieza's run was mostly decent, although tainted because of the bad decision to bring back Guardian (which seemed even more silly to me after they went and killed him off again a year later). 

Lobdell did okay, aside from the "outing Northstar" issue, but he was way too obsessed with the "Weapon Omega" idea and the new costumes were pretty bad.

Furman's run was a lot more hit and miss, and mostly forgettable to be honest.  (And then he closed the run by bringing back Guardian AGAIN... (sigh))

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

I read a few more issues, but was disappointed in the art and story so
stopped.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Hacker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

Very disappointing considering that I had only started reading AF with issue 27.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version