Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Dr. Strange (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

Dr.S never really spoke to me but I enjoy his appearances in cross-overs. I think he's an important character, but (like the Atom) maybe is better served by infrequent appearances, rather than an on-going series.

When I was a kid I really enjoyed the Marvel Pocket Novel 'NIGHTMARE' written by William Rotsler.
( hmmm I've been thinking about re-reading all those old novels)
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

John Harris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

I really like my Dr Strange ...STRANGE for lack of a better word. I love the Lee/Ditko stories that blended the good Dr. with the ealier Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish or Amazing Fantasy type stories that predated the Super-Hero stuff. Gimme things like aliens from other dimensions posing as haunted houses, astral self chases that span from NYC to the sun in minutes, or even the horror tainted stuff from Master of Mystic arts early issues.

I think that the things that play to Stranges strengths have all but been forgotten. Now he is just a wise cracking mystical version of the real character. Damn shame,I love the character and consider him my second favorite ONLY to Spider-Man, unfortunately I have not seen much of either one in years. Again...a DAMN shame

Tim Gillespie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

I enjoyed Dr. Strange from the beginning up thru the Brunner period - after that, not so much. I will admit tho, that the recent mini-series with the Night Nurse was the best Dr. Strange story in years.

JMS's rehash of the Strange origin story was a mess. I always felt that Dr. Strange had the best origin story of all the early Marvel heroes, but that particular retelling gave me a headache.

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

Gah!  I just finished reading the Clea/Ben Franklin story.  That made my stomach flip-flop.  I won't say anymore, but I don't like time-travel stories!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

Nobody has done it better than Ditko. Colan does draw a great Dr. Strange too.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Roger Ash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

I also enjoy Gene Colan's take on Dr. Strange.

One story that gets overlooked far too often is the Roger Stern/Marshall Rogers run. Gorgeous art and a great adventure. It really should be collected.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Scarborough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

I like Roger Stern's run on Doctor Strange.

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

Dr Strange needs to be the most expert of Marvel's characters concerning "Marvel Occult" - dimesnions, creatures, demons, etc.  However, I believe that many of the big occult characters - Dormammu, Shuma Gorath, Living Tribunal, Eternity, etc. - need to be very mysterious and distant.  I don't like it when they are brought down to the levels of character interaction.  Dr Strange, for example, should never be able to defeat Dormammu himself, just able to thwart his plans and his mortal pawns.  I feel it was a big mistake to simply make Dormammu a "mere" villain.

I think Strange's status as Sorcerer Supreme needs to be seen in the light of "we have so few masters now, that even someone with Strange's limited experience is the Sorcerer Supreme."  Maybe in another thousand years, he will really be worthy of the title.  Not meant to disparage the good doctor, but Strange needs to be less than all powerful if the character is to be threatened enough to make a good series.  Removing the Ancient One was a huge error.

I don't like Strange as a standard superhero, but it's important to remember that his occult adventures take place in a superhero world.  He is not a straight fantasy character.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

Without the Ancient One, I think Dr. Strange is middling as a character. It was his loyalty, and love, for his mentor that drove so much of the best stories I can remember.

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 11  

Who is the board's biggest Doctor Strange fan?

Marc -

I don't know people well enough at the JBF to answer your question.  But from my observations and research on the net, I would be inclined to say that Howard Hallis and Neilalien are probably the two most informed individuals on the Internet re: Dr. Strange !

http://www.howardhallis.com/drstrange/

http://www.neilalien.com/

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

What genre do you prefer, or do you like the variety?

William, I like about 80%+ of everything that's ever been done on Dr. Strange !  That's about how much I've read and/or own.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version