Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Reed Richards (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

To be fair, that Batman (and I use the term in the broadest possible sense) movie was a complete P.O.S. They should have called it The Adventures of Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Batgirl, Alfred and Robin with special appearance by Batman. Schwarzennegger and Uma Thurman sucked up most of the camera time, and the rest was taken up by Alicia Silverstone. The Batman/Robin conflict and Alfred dying were included as an afterthought, and dealt with in the most cursory way. No kidding people weren't impressed with the Clooney Batman: he was hardly in the movie at all!
Back to Top profile | search

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

Clooney doesn't have the intensity to me, as an actor, to bring to Reed Richards.  He just seems too laid back.  And his voice does not "sound" like how Richards should sound.

While I agree with Sam about the smoothing out of edges of characters, I don't think it's for the reasons he describes.  There are plenty of characters out there in all mediums that are prickly and rough edged.  I'm thinking of a lot of cop shows here (like the Shield) or HBO series.

However, I think that over time all popular characters, usually initially beloved because they did have that piss and vinegar in them somewhere - become "mainstreamed" because of their popularity.  They lose things that might be objectionable.  This seems to be a process that affects almost all characters - just think of Fonzie who went from being a cool, but somewhat shady outsider with a heart of gold beneath his exterior to a bland middle class kind of family man.

John Papandrea
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

In the recent Fantastic Four series by Bryan Hitch - there is a splash page where Reed's face bares a very close resemblance to George Clooney. IMO a photo reference must have been used.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 4  

Really, to me it looks like Matthew Fox from Lost.

Ray Dyas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2008 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

If he would cut back on the alcohol, Ray Liotta would be a decent Reed Richards. I think he kinda has a bit of the Jeffery Hunter look going for him.

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2008 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Give him a patch and a cigar and he might make a good Nick Fury as drawn by Kirby.

Ever notice how Nick Fury looks like Reed but talks like Ben?

Edited by Michael Connell on 21 April 2008 at 10:11pm

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

My initial reaction to Clooney as Reed was "But . . Reed should come off as someone with a strong moral center and intelligence." then Martin had to go and reminded me of Civil War -- yeah, if they for some godforsaken reason film Civil War, Clooney would work as a not too bright Reed who is up to a diabolical scheme to betray/murder his friends.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version