The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Why I hate Facebook (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

Q: Who the hell is Sheldon Kopp?

A: Some dead psychotherapist

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9501E3D81239F 930A35757C0A96F958260#

Back to Top profile | search

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

The interesting thing about today's need to socialize online is why?  We've become dependent on Facebook, myspace, etc. to keep up with people.  I'm not sure what the sites do.  On Facebook, friends "poke" you - is that supposed to be fun?  It's a way of communicating, I suppose, but why not just e-mail, phone or meet in person?  Seems the point of all these sites is to look cool and collect "friends", yet not actually have meaningful interaction with any of them.

I work with youngish people and they don't see what I mean and think Facebook is cool and a way to connect in some meaningful way.  All I see is superficial communication and on myspace, tons of Spam. 

I think if you can't pick up a phone and make a plan to see friends, they're not really friends anyway and having them on a social networking site doesn't strengthen the bond.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

I really didn't expect a quote by "some dead psychotherapist" to generate such a response, but I'm glad it did because the discussion (and Bob's link)  has enabled me to really look at the quote and perhaps understand it more clearly.

The statement again: "If you have a hero, look again; you have diminished yourself in some way."

I think all it's suggesting is to not put yourself down.  Kopp was all about helping people's self-esteem, after all.  The person you admire may be able to things better than you can, but there are probably things that person can't do as well as you can.  I think the idea here is to not view the object of your respect and admiration as being better than you.

That's my impression, anyway.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 13 May 2008 at 12:47pm

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Seems the point of all these sites is to look cool and collect "friends", yet not actually have meaningful interaction with any of them.

It seems that way.  I get these invitations all the time from various sites and I confirm these requests pretty much just for the hell of it (or maybe I'm just too soft-hearted to press the 'Reject' button) but I rarely, if ever, hear a peep from these people afterwards, even from folks I know personally.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 13 May 2008 at 12:47pm

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have a myspace that was long ignored and only begun due to people telling me to get on there.  Now I have it as some forum, I suppose, where I can write.  I have blogs too, but none of them has gained any traction.

Anyway, daily I get friend requests from generic hot babes myspace throws at you - all fake, of course.  I don't know any of these people, and while I like to think I'm a nice, and funny guy, I'm certainly not getting 20-something year old hotties flocking to my lame myspace page. 

I think the whole thing's a scam - who knows what the Spammers are getting out of it, but it's just a bunch of garbage imo.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

A nice, juicy thread, thanks Andrew <g>.

I like being 'in-between' myself: not making a huge difference in the world, but trying to make a difference to the ones I love immediately around me.

I don't feel any urge to set lofty goals for myself, focusing instead on small, acheivable, personal ones. I try not to be overly concerned about what others have done with their lives, simply enjoying mine as best as I can.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 7  

Personally, I like Facebook, but it's all about you get out of it what you put
into it.

I have friends that I've started up whole new relationships with that would
otherwise not been possible, and ones that are nothing other than a name
on my list. You can turn of notification of 'pokes', though I understand a lot
of people use that as shorthand for "hey, just letting you know I'm thinkin' of
ya."

It's also come in quite handy for various aspects of volunteer work I do and
organizations that I'm part of, and has come in handy in my work, as well.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

I haven't gotten much use out of my MySpace, although I've found a few old
friends through it (and gotten a sense of just how badly a person can design
a webpage).

Facebook's got a more streamlined layout, has a bunch of fun time-wasting
games and applications, and gives you a pretty easy system for emailing
specific groups of friends all at once. I resisted signing up for a while, but
I'm pretty hooked on it now.

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think in general nothing good comes from the Internet and it should be scrapped.  haha

Ok, maybe the social networking sites.  The reason they exist is to make bad behavior more accessible.  Lots of misbehaving since you're anonymous - men cheating on women, women cheating on men, everyone looking to hook up, families being screwed over.  Then you get your kids on there, them meeting scumbags, predators, all for the sake of "pokes"? 

Just e-mail or pick up the phone.  :P

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 10  

Mark Waldman wrote:
I'm not sure what the sites do.  On Facebook, friends "poke" you - is that supposed to be fun?  It's a way of communicating, I suppose, but why not just e-mail, phone or meet in person? 

I don't think the social networking sites are intended to replace those means of communication -- it's just another way of interacting. A "poke" is just a silly way to tell one of your friends that you're thinking about them and would like to hear from them. Maybe you don't have anything to say at the moment, but would like to strike up a conversation. It's the equivalent of an email saying "What's up?" but less intrusive. Of course, you can also email through Facebook, and an IM service was recently launched as well.

Mark Waldman wrote:
Seems the point of all these sites is to look cool and collect "friends", yet not actually have meaningful interaction with any of them.

I will agree that MySpace seemed to be all about collecting as many friends as possible, but Facebook seems to have a different dynamic. Usually the people you see on a Facebook friends list are close buddies, relatives, schoolmates, co-workers, friends who have moved out of town, etc. I have all of the above on my friends list and I chat, email, share photos, play Scrabble and chess with them, etc. Chatting and emailing can be done elsewhere, of course, but some of the other applications are slick and fun.  

Mark Waldman wrote:
I work with youngish people and they don't see what I mean and think Facebook is cool and a way to connect in some meaningful way.  All I see is superficial communication and on myspace, tons of Spam. 

I think if you can't pick up a phone and make a plan to see friends, they're not really friends anyway and having them on a social networking site doesn't strengthen the bond.

Unless it does. What you might be missing is that Facebook and MySpace are kind of like interactive address books and many people use them to make initial contact with a friend and then they pick up the phone and call them. It's an adjunct to real-world relationships, not a replacement for them.

For example, when I want to see a new movie and my first-string movie buddies aren't interested, I make a note in my Facebook status update that I'm looking for a movie companion (including the movie title) and my friends jump in to let me know if they want to come. Sure, I could call 20 friends and keep getting rejected or I could send an annoying email that some people won't care about, or I could use Facebook to put out the word and let interested parties contact me. The Facebook solution works best for me.

I have become closer friends with my former college roommate, two of my cousins, and a guy who was a classmate in 2nd grade as a result of interactions on Facebook. After a few superficial contacts we started hanging out offline too. My 2nd grade classmate will be coming to my wedding in August, which is pretty darn cool.

One of my other friends re-met an old high school sweetheart through MySpace and their emails led to phone calls ... and finally marriage.

And my favorite social networking story involves my foster son, who came to my house as a 10-day old baby. His 17-year-old sister (who was in a different foster home) posted poetry on her MySpace page about their mother's bad choices. When her mother's cousin came across her on MySpace and friended her, the cousin started approaching the Department of Social Services about adopting the baby and their 7-year-old half-sister. A few months later a family had been created -- due to one of those superficial contacts.

While these social networking sites are not for everyone, I have found that they have affected many lives (including my own) in positive ways. I am personally not a fan of text messaging on a phone because it is usually less efficient than email or a phone call -- but it is an important method of communication for other people. Email and IM have allowed me to remain in daily intimate contact with my brothers, sisters, and best friends even when I live 2000 miles away from most of them -- and so far Facebook has helped me even more with that.

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

Again, it seems folks get out of it what they put in.

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

Don't want to offend anyone - most of what I say is to point out absurdity for the sake of humor.  I'm sure many people use their social networking sites in some constructive way, but I'd think those are the exceptions, not the norm.  I think many use it for monkey business.  Just my two cents.

And I know what a poke is, it's just ridiculous.  :)

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version