Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: OT,redrawn pages in masterworks,omnibus editions (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 1  

found this page http://www.hyaenagallery.com/comicart.html which is selling original art used in masterworks,omnibi etc.turns out that lots of pages in these volumes hgave been redrawn by an artist called Michael Kelleher.

"Marvel Masterworks Comic Book Art
For Sale:

This section features original art by artist Michael Kelleher that has been authorized, commissioned, approved by Marvel Comics, and published in their Silver Age Marvel Masterworks anthologies. These are exact recreations of the original works created by legendary artists Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Don Heck, John Buscema and many others.

Each drawing measures 14 x 17 inches and was painstakingly reproduced to mimic line-weights and styles of the original artists and inkers.

These are not simple recreations made for fans and collectors. Marvel Comics has gone to great lengths over the past few years to give fans EXACT reproductions of the Silver Age stories that made Marvel famous. Often times the film that was used in the original printing process was either lost, damaged, or altered, so a new version must be created. This is an incredible opportunity to own original artwork of some of the greatest comics ever published!"

should these volumes contain only the original comics, or is it ok for pages to be completely redrawn? it appears that Kirby,Colan,Buscema and Ditko have all had pages redrawn.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 2  

jings, i had no idea this was widely used,the masterworks site has an interview with the editor of the masterworks http://www.marvelessentials.com/news/int_cs_1206.html

5: What percentage of art restoration in the Masterworks needs to be redrawn by hand by folks like Mike Kelleher? (Amazing job he's doing, by the by.) Is it on the order of a page or two per volume? More?

CORY: I couldn't give a direct percentage across the Masterworks. It's something that varies widely. The Golden Age books are all fully reconstructed from copies of the original books because none of that material exists in Marvel's archives any longer. Back in the '40s no one could have guessed that almost 70 years later people would be pining for these stories!

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the Atlas Era has proven to be either completely hit, or completely miss so far. These issues have either been intact in the film library and in great shape, or completely missing. For instance, Marvel Boy #1 and #2 were found and in sparkling condition (the earliest finds from our film warehouse yet, which is not to say there isn't earlier material, we just haven't gotten around to reprinting it yet); however, Astonishing #3 and #4 were completely missing.

For the Marvel Age, it varies. Some volumes require no full reconstruction. Others require two or three pages, and others, say where a complete story is missing, 20 plus pages. Earlier material tends to be in poorer condition. Most likely because it was duplicated over and over again throughout the '60s, '70s, and '80s for various reprint comics. I've heard word that the first generation photostats were sent out West for use in the 1960s Marvel Super Heroes cartoons. "

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 3  

If the original pages aren't available and the "duplicator" is good enough, I don't have any problem with it.  It beats not getting them at all.
Back to Top profile | search

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 4  

why not just scan acopy of the comic rather that substitute a modern redrawing?

Vladimir Fiks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 5  

The scans of printed material, especially cheaply printed material, are
notoriously shaky. You get moire patterns nor can you get rid of the color
easily. If you just scan in B&W or change from color scan to B&W, the
color information becomes grayscale and usually muddy.

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 6  

Since the Masterworks started coming out, I've wondered how they had such good quality repros of... EVERYTHING.... Even hte best stats will fade and discolor some, especially after that much time, And given the throwaway thoughts given to comics back then, I would have been amazed that they had a complete archive.

And I'd agree with Vlad, that this solution... for printing purposes is probably better... and cheaper. Trying to fix scans of that old stuff is REALLY a pain....

I take more offense at the statement that you have the opportunity to own the ORIGINAL artwork.... no, you get to own a very good licensed COPY....

Hell, any of us here with any talent and enough time could do that.... I give this guy credit... having to redo them and remain faithful to the original artist is a thankless pain in the ass job....

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 7  

So, this explains that Mary Jane controversy over the Awesome Panel thread...hrm.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 8  

Ah! So we were RIGHT with our redrawn Mary Jane assumptions in the Awesome Panel thread!

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 9  

This is news? It was a big part of the "Theakstonizing" process of the early DC archives, and I've personally talked to an inker who said that he worked for a while (with Will Eisner's approval) on doing the same thing with old Spirit splash pages (restoring line weights etc:) for the DC collections.

It's art restoration applied to comics (and yes, that's how art restoration is done on old canvases, too. They get a talented artist to try to recreate the parts that have gone missing)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 10  

"Restoration" isn't quite the right word, since the originals presumably are
not being tampered with.* But if these are clearly labeled as what they are -
- and they appear to be -- I have no problem with this.

Down the line, if they start turning up as "originals", I could see there might
be a problem. (Seems like they were done full size.)

*Small curiosity -- I actually own the original of the second page of the
STRANGE TALES ANNUAL they are offering!

John Harris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

It would be nice if Marvel would be a little more upfront with exactly what material is being "recreated". I'm not happy about it BUT if what we get in a Omnibus is the best representation available using existing technology I can live with it. I just want to know before I spend a c-note exactly what to expect.

I have FF omni's 1 and 2 as well as Spider-Man 1; I was VERY pleased with all three. I hope the Hulk omnibus can live up to the high standards set by the others I have.

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

*Small curiosity -- I actually own the original of the second page of the
STRANGE TALES ANNUAL they are offering!

Doesn't Marvel try to locate for existing original artworks for reprints ?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version