Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Back when they were fans ... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne:

QUOTE:
Fortune cookie I got recently:

Doing what you love is happiness. Loving what you do is bliss.

Joins this

Jason Czeskleba

QUOTE:
Heh, I was thinking the exact same thing.  A single page of one of his Black Panther stories had more words in it than an entire issue of most comics today.  Don could overdo it sometimes, but I'll take wordiness over the modern, decompressed comics you can read in 2 or 3 minutes because they're all pictures and no words.

And the result is my current situation. As told in another thread, I'm currently working as a comic book translator. I'm working on some DC Comics reprints and, of course, I'm very glad for this! That's fun if you're a comics fan for life like me, yeah, but... that's a job, too.
And sometimes it can be very heavy! When I have to translate stuff by writers like Roy Thomas or Martin Pasko, pages seem extremely looong.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 2  

The '8 titles a month' story was true was true in 1957 after the 'Atlas Implosion' where they last their distributor and turned to DC, but later on they published a few more titles than that a month.  Many of the titles were dropped or went to bi-monthly publication because of the cut in titles, but the number slowly began creeping up prior to the expansion of the line in 1968.

Active Marvel titles when FANTASTIC FOUR #1 was published -

November, 1961 (12) - AMAZING ADVENTURES; FANTASTIC FOUR; GUNSMOKE WESTERN; JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY; KID COLT, OUTLAW; LINDA CARTER, STUDENT NURSE; LOVE ROMANCES; MILLIE THE MODEL; STRANGE TALES; TALES TO ASTONISH; TALES OF SUSPENSE; TEEN-AGE ROMANCE

December, 1961 (10) - AMAZING ADULT FANTASY; JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY; KATHY; LIFE WITH MILLIE; PATSY AND HEDY; PATSY WALKER; RAWHIDE KID; STRANGE TALES; TALES TO ASTONISH; TALES OF SUSPENSE

Amazingly artists like Jack Kirby (Fantastic Four & Thor), Steve Ditko (Spider-Man & Doctor Strange) and Don Heck (Avengers & Iron Man) could draw multiple titles and still get them in on time.

I believe Bill Everett (on DAREDEVIL #1), Neal Adams and Jim Steranko were about the only artists I can recall who had any issues meeting deadlines.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version