Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Not "Getting" Super Powers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 August 2008 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was just watching a few minutes of the second FF movie on cable. Sue is getting ready for her wedding, and discovers she has a huge zit on her forehead. So she makes it invisible.

This reminded me at once of a discussion I happened upon in an old AOL chat room one evening a decade or so back. The subject was the decidedly slutty manner in which Sue was being portrayed in the books, parading around in teeny-tiny bikinis, replete with a navel-ring. One of the posters wondered what Sue would look like in a bikini since, after two pregnancies, she'd "probably have stretch marks." Another poster suggested -- apparently seriously -- that she could just make the stretch marks "invisible".

If you're not already seeing where I'm going with this, you may wonder what the heck the rest of my post here is about.

Of course, if Sue turned a zit or her presumed stretch marks "invisible", all she would be doing is making a portion of her skin transparent, and what we'd then see would be whatever lay beneath that skin. In the case of the zit, for instance, she'd probably look like she'd just been shot thru the forehead. In the case of the stretch marks --- well, yuck!

This got me thinking in general about how superpowers are so often messed up with those writing them don't think thru what it is the powers really do. The third X-Men movie shows us Kitty Pryde pulling Juggernaut down into the floor and leaving him there, "trapped". But he's Juggernaut, bitch, so he breaks free. Which he'd be able to do, if Kitty's power was to make solid objects "flow" around her, like the body of a swimmer moving thru water. But that's not what happens. The atoms of Kitty's body pass between the atoms of whatever she is moving thru -- as would the atoms of anything she is bringing with her. So Juggernaut wouldn't be in the floor, he would be the floor. And dead.

The first Superman movie, with Christopher Reeve, gave me momentary pause when he was shown "standing" on the side of a building. But a moment's thought, and I realized that of course his flying powers would let him do that. But a few movies later, a strand of his hair is seen in a museum supporting an enormous weight. A strand that Luthor then cuts with what appears to be an ordinary pair of scissors.

It's not just other media that makes these kinds of mistakes, either. We seem to do it all too often in the comics, too, where it is really inexcusable. I recall a BRAVE&BOLD in which the Flash "ran" to the Sun, and thru it, and back to Earth, with captions explain to us that his enormous speed allowed him to run on wisps of space dust as if they were solid. Didn't explain how he was able to hold his breath for about 20 minutes (speed of light), tho. I think it was also the Flash (tho it may have been Quicksilver) who once managed to run up the side of a skyscraper by traveling "faster than gravity".

This goes beyond scientific "inaccuracies", mind you. Superman couldn't really squeeze a lump of coal into a diamond no matter how strong he was (missing ingredient is time), but we sort of let things like that slide. But when coating something in lead renders it effectively invisible to him, that sort of misses how x-ray vision would work (even portrayed "accurately"). That was something I used to my advantage during my time writing Superman's adventures.

Too many times, tho, I've seen those moments -- often from people who should really know better -- where the use of the power is way out of whack. Cyclops using his beam to start fires (it's force, not heat!), Iceman making his ice so clear he becomes nearly invisible (or naked -- he's coated with ice, not made of ice!).

Etc.

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2008 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

Good point JB. I felt that way when I saw it though I did enjoy the movies for what they were. AS far as stretch marks though... there are ways to make them go away that do not involve super powers.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Caleb M. Edmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2008 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

It's good to know that I'm in such good company on this subject.

While I (ashamed to say) missed the ridiculousness of LL cutting Superman's
"invulnerable" hair with a pair of scissors, I too realized this about X3 (one of
the many reason I find it nearly unbearable to watch).

As we speak I am attempting to list the number of instances I've witness this
mistake in comics/television/movies etc... (If you hear a faint "pop" coming
from the North East, that was my head exploding!)

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2008 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

A couple of examples of odd power depictions I can think of:

A few decades ago there was an issue of Superman where he was shown with the ability to see in pitch darkness. The explanation was that he used his heat vision at such a low intensity that it became "infrared vision".

Avengers 161 had Ant-Man toppling Wonder Man because he retained his normal sized strength at his reduced size. I can live with Giant-Man/Goliath violating the square-cube law, but when Ant-Man shrinks while keeping the strength of a normal sized man, it makes me wonder why Hank Pym isn't limited to the strength of a normal sized man when he grows.

Of course the flip side of writers getting powers wrong is when a writer gives us a scene where the power is used in a new and unexpected (while totally appropriate and correct) fashion. The most obvious example of this was JB's depiction of Sue Richards' invisibility and force fields. Another was from Avengers #83, where Klaw and the Melter are unable to affect the diamond-hard Vision, so Melter lowers his aim and liquifies the pavement under the Vision, trapping him in a molten quagmire. (Of course for this trick to work the pavement has to be six or seven feet thick, but it was a neat and unexpected application of a known ability)

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2008 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well, I'd okay with Ant-Man following cube/square while Giant Man breaks it, if they just threw in a token explanation of his growing working differently than his shrinking.

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 1:05am | IP Logged | 6  

Actually, as per one of JB's Superman stories, Superman can see infrared. That's how Lex Luthor rendered the robot Klaash invisible to everyone except Superman. But would the ability to see infrared and/or ultraviolet make it possible to see in the dark? Since darkness is the absence of light, and infrared and ultraviolet are simply part of the color spectrum of light that the human eye can't see, I don't see this working for Superman to see in the dark unless he's seeing thermal signatures like Predator. He's certainly not generating his own light with his vision powers.

Now I want to hear JB rip apart the second FF film!

(Just JB, no one else, as this film is on "The Index.")
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ferran Delgado
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 7  

I remember a weird old story where Hercules moved Manhattan by pulling a
giant chain.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 8  

They really should have some veteran comic book writers consulting for the scriptwriters when they make these movies. 

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:06am | IP Logged | 9  

Yeah Pete, the story I referenced didn't just say Superman has infrared vision, which would just be one more among many vision powers, it said infrared vision was a function of his heat vision, operating at a lower setting. His heat vision generates heat, while infrared vision receives a specific wavelength of the electromagnetic spectrum. One doesn't lead directly to the other.

It just occured to me that JB's explanation of Superman's heat vision (that it alters the molecular vibration of atoms from a distance rather than existing as a coherent "beam" of high temperature photons or whatever) also neatly explains Bizarro's "ice vision", which doesn't really make sense as a ray of "pure cold", but could work as a lowering of molecular activity.

Well done, JB.

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:21am | IP Logged | 10  

"I remember a weird old story where Hercules moved Manhattan by pulling a
giant chain"

Yeah. That was one of the most crackiest Marvel moments ever. It felt like something you'd see in a Curt Swan Superman comic. Which while entertaining, were a bit more juvenile than most of Marvel's fare at the time. One wonders how you can tow an island and put it back without there being major repercussions.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 11  

Wasn't the Spider-Man/Hercules MARVEL TEAM UP issue erased from continuity for its sillyness?

Ferran Delgado
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:31am | IP Logged | 12  

The same.

Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version