Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 33 Next >>
Topic: All Star Batman and Robin #10 Trouble (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

Well, looks like Glenn was right about it going to #18.
Back to Top profile | search

Mike Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

It really seems to me that the whole purpose of using the black bars must be so that they are just the right size, and have just enough of some letters sticking out from above and below them,  as to allow readers to be able to guess which word is being used.  So they're selling a book to kids and adults alike (by virtue of having no warning on the cover), and they fully intend for readers to "read" the offending words in their heads (and go out of their way to facilitate this with the "black bar" approach to censoring the profanity)... so I'm not sure why this comic book wouldn't be just as offensive without the slip-up, and how it has been allowed to continue for this long.

The people in charge of DC must be out of their minds...

Dan Burke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

or just put a non offensive four letter word in the script to be blacked out later if all they really cared about was proper box size!

does miller really need to use "the hard c" to tell this story?

or as someone else said, did dc want the words there for a future, "uncensored" collection??

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

There was some cussing in 1986's DKR IIRC:

The SOBs (which meant Sons of the Batman -- coincidentally, natch).

I remember a minor, unsympathetic character calling another character a "Jap Bitch" (Jewish American Princess or short for Japanese?) before pushing her aside.

Batman himself didn't cuss and even reproved a child for asking him whether he was going to kick the Joker's a**.

That's just off the top of my head. I think there might even be a couple of "goddamns" here and there, as well.

Anyway, if there was ever a series to forever bury the Zip-Pow-Wowie!!! 60's version out of the public's mind it's AllStar Batman.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

I like DK2.

I remember Miller lobbying, at the time, for his own pocket-DCU, or Earth-
Miller.

Here it is.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

I find it funny that DC destroyed ASB&R #10 because of the cuss words not being properly blocked, but they didn't see the need to destroy the issue of DKR2 that had the word "s**t" in it (and it wasn't edited).

The editors at both DC and Marvel need to grow a pair and tell ALL of their creators, no matter how popular or critically acclaimed they are, that they cannot include any cussing,graphic violence,or strong sexual content/innuendos in the superhero comics that were originally created for and continued to be marketed towards (in other media and merchandise outside of the existing and shrinking current adult comic book readership) a wide all ages audience.

William Byrd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

I picked up the a few issues (too many) of this series and then dropped it.  Did they ever have an explanation for how just a few hours after Batman kidnaps Dick Grayson that milk cartons in Metropolis already had him  pictured as a missing child?

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

My plan is in the end we find out where that robot tyrannosaurs in the Batcave comes from. We finally find out. That's plan. Unless of course I get fired now."

To me, the last quote of the article clearly illustrates how much FM doesn't get it.  We don't need to know where it came from and I'd bet my last button that FM isn't the right guy to tell it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

Did anybody notice the Final Crisis book a few weeks ago that had "asshole" in it?  No black bar over the word or anything.  

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2008 at 12:25am | IP Logged | 10  

Don't look at me. I quit reading when:

1. Black Canary beat up a bunch of guys in a bar for being guys in a bar and then robbed them and it was like "real cool" that the did that to those scrotes. Giggle. PWND!11!

2. I realized that Robin seemed to have been bickering with the Goddamned Batman in the passenger seat of the dead cop chunk covered flyingbatsubmobile for.... days? Long enough to be on Superman's milk carton anyway. I bet it smelled real good in that car.

Edited by Emery Calame on 12 September 2008 at 12:40am

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2008 at 12:43am | IP Logged | 11  

Wes, is that who wrote the issue?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2008 at 12:51am | IP Logged | 12  

Good one, Chris.  I don't even remember what issue it was, honestly.  I've been helping out at the LCS and I have the opportunity to read just about everything that comes out now.  It's great for being able to answer questions about certain books, but it can be terribly depressing reading at times. 

We didn't receive the ASBAR #10, either.  Funny part was that due to the erratic schedule the book has, NO ONE missed it on the racks until this controversy arose.

<< Prev Page of 33 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version