Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 370 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

She's one reason, to be sure. But there are lots of others. 
Back to Top profile | search | email

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Jenny Agutter is super-cute in LOGAN'S RUN... but AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, um, made me stand up and take notice...

When I was only 10 !!!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 24 April 2017 at 8:26pm
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2017 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hottest nurse ever!

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Feels...wrong...to interrupt hot nurse talk with this one, but...

PETE'S DRAGON (2016)
Loved it! And if my wife weren't sitting next to me, I may have allowed myself to shed a tear once or twice.  
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

PETE'S DRAGON (2016)

Loved it! And if my wife weren't sitting next to me, I may have allowed myself to shed a tear once or twice.

My Ex watched it with me. She's the one who handed me the kleenex!

Oddly enough, altho I enjoyed it in every way, I feel no urge to see it again.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2017 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My Ex watched it with me. She's the one who handed me the kleenex!

Oddly enough, altho I enjoyed it in every way, I feel no urge to see it again.

There were several parts that tugged at my heart strings, but the thing that really got to me was
 INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
learning that Eliot wasn't left all alone in the forest. Seeing him frolic with the other dragons made my heart soar.

But, I agree. One viewing was enough.  

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

BLACULA (1972)

Might be too easy to write it off as a guilty pleasure, or as low-budget '70s blaxploitation cheese, were it not for William Marshall's commanding performance, some fun dialogue and (at times) interesting direction, and some genuine chills.

In short:  It's still a surprisingly good movie!

(EDIT: spelling)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 27 April 2017 at 1:15pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

A College friend raved about how good BLACULA was, but when pressed he couldn't really tell me much about the movie. Turned out he and his girlfriend had seen it at a drive-in, so actually watching the movie was not a real consideration. His bounteous praise was informed more by the experience, nudge nudge.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

SOLDIER (1998)

At times it drags and I'm not a fan of the score, but there is entertainment value here.
I wont need to revisit this one anytime soon.

Supposedly it's in the BLADE RUNNER universe.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

EVIL DEAD (2013).

Big "meh". Played too straight to be darkly funny, but also too over-the-top to be legitimately terrifying. Buckets of practical gore and slime, but not quite the "ultimate experience in grueling terror" that the original was. The paper-thin characters don't help.

The original works because of its black humor, over-the-top gore, and flashy style. All this one has going for it is over-the-top gore, but even that serves no real purpose.

On to ASH VS. EVIL DEAD!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Plus, it's the only EVIL DEAD entry that doesn't showcase Bruce Campbell... what's the point, and where's the fun, in that?!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 28 April 2017 at 6:12pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

THE MONOLITH MONSTERS (1957)

The most off-beat of Universal's return to monster movies in the Fifties, and by far the most intelligent. It suffers a bit from budget constraints, but it's still fun.

One of the movies I watch about once a year.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Plus, it's the only EVIL DEAD entry that doesn't showcase Bruce Campbell... what's the point, and where's the fun, in that?!
++++++++++

I'd heard that the remake included a post-credits scene with Ash. Color me surprised when that "scene" amounted to a total non-sequitur moment of Ash turning to the screen and saying, "Groovy.". It meant absolutely nothing in the context of the 90-minute film which preceded it. It's there just for the fans, but it doesn't serve a story purpose, like, say, trying to connect the original trilogy to the remake. Totally pointless bit of fanservice. 

...unless ASH VS. EVIL DEAD makes some acknowledgement of the events of the remake. Guess I'll soon see. That would surely be a bit of a retcon, though, rather than a "reveal" as to the meaning of the post-credits moment.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Fede Alvarez and Sam Raimi both talked up a possible Ash and Mia
team-up movie, and Bruce Campbell seemed open to having Mia on
ASH VS EVIL DEAD, but I don't think either are happening any time
soon.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I suppose this technically belongs in the TV section, now, but I just watched the ASH VS. EVIL DEAD pilot. That's more like it! 

It fits perfectly as a decades-later sequel to the trilogy. A bit more self-aware, a bit more plot-heavy, but it feels just right in terms of the humor/horror combination. Having Raimi direct the pilot gave it just the right style, and Campbell has lost none of his charm. Looking forward to checking out the rest of the first two seasons!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I watched De Palma (2015) on Netflix.

I've long had a soft-spot for Brian De Palma, so I found this very interesting. But boy, has he had an uneven career. For every success (Carrie, Dressed To Kill, The Untouchables, Carlito's Way), there's at least one train wreck, usually straight after one of the successes (troughs don't come much lower than Bonfire of the Vanities and Mission to Mars). He's very straight up in the interviews, about how some films just plain didn't work or about how he took certain films even though he wasn't really interested, but just because they were the best option available at the time. It's also interesting to hear this master visualist talk about why pre-visualisation techniques suck the life out of action sequences and how he basically shoe-horned some classic sequences into films without input from the screenwriters (eg. the silent break in from Mission: Impossible and the pram sequence in The Untouchables).

De Palma's always got a bit of kicking for being too slavish in his homages to Hitchcock, but it's hard not to sympathise with him when he argues that no-one utilises the techniques and visual language invented by one of the greatest of all directors.

He's also pretty amusing at times -- I chuckled along with him when he talked about other people making versions of Carrie that faithfully kept Mrs White's heart-attack demise from the book, rather than his telekinetic crucifixion. Sometimes changes from book to screen can improve thing for the better and Carrie has some great examples. Particularly that shocker of an ending. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

A double feature of QUATERMASS AND THE PIT (1967) and DR. NO (1962). The first because it was recently mentioned in the Forum, the second because I was in the mood!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

THE NICE GUYS (2016)

Very odd film, and not sure where exactly all the love from the critics was coming from last year... for me, this was hugely entertaining, yet immensely tiresome--usually at the same time!

Started to lose interest at the halfway mark, but stuck with it.  Loved Russell Crowe's generally quieter performance... Ryan Gosling started to grate on my nerves fairly early-on.

Not sure if this is a recommendation!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I'll offer a counter-point: THE NICE GUYS was one of my favorite films of 2016.  Love it.  I've seen it four or five times since I saw it in the theatre and it continues to entertain.  FWIW I highly recommend it.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I'm with Matt. I loved THE NICE GUYS. Although the most accurate review I've
read of it is that it's the Shane Blackiest of all Shane Black movies, so I guess it
all depends about how you feel about Shane Black.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I watched Star Trek: the Motion Picture for the first time in at least a couple of decades. Overall, it's a huge disappointment and a wasted opportunity. They really didn't spend their money wisely!

I found myself comparing it to Star Trek IV. Both have similarities in their set-ups -- a vastly powerful and unknown entity approaches earth, seeking a signal and posing a risk of total destruction to the entire planet. Star Trek IV manages to cover this ground in about 10 minutes flat. TMP takes more than two hours.

The film takes an age to get going and the opening 30 to 45 mins is not only totally unnecessary, it's also badly done. Everyone seems out of character, the film looks for its drama in the wrong places: the conflict between its characters and the unreadiness of the ship. The conflict seem stilted and forced rather than organic and serves mainly to diminish Kirk by making him look self-motivated and petty (as well as incompetent at times). Did we really need a transporter accident? I think not.

Things do pick up once Spock comes aboard and we get into the main thrust of encountering VGER, but the film is always hamstrung by that feeling of having done this before... and of course, we have in The Changeling. But there's enough there in this part of the film to enjoy. It's not brilliant, but it's not bad. Yes, it could have done without the slow 2001-influenced shots as Spock traverses beyond VGER's orifice, but this section isn't hamstrung like the opening section by the structural weirdness inherited from Phase II. Decker and Ilia both create more problems by their presence than the benefits they bring. The film just needed to start with the classic crew members in place and proceed from there -- adding major new crew members when there was already little to do for Sulu, Chekhov and co was a bad idea.

The smart play would have been to jettison Phase II and create a proper film from scratch. And not spend so much money on pointless, slow FX shots. All so easy with hindsight.

Penultimate word on the ugly costumes. They look crappy (though the white short-sleeve shirts look all right if shot above the weird belt thing).

Final word on the conspicuous diopter shots. Some are just fine, but some are really too in your face and I found myself taken out of the scene by them.

Edited by Peter Martin on 03 May 2017 at 10:06am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

As Richard Pini dubbed THE MOTION PICTURE, "Where NOMAD has Gone Before".

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

SPIDER-MAN 3 (2007)

First time attempting to watch it all the way through in 10 years...

Is it really one of the worst superhero movies ever made?  I don't think so, but it certainly is a quintessential example of just being plain overstuffed.  Everything is too much, from villains, plotlines, contrivances, different tones, CGI overload, lots & lots of crying--even two different song and/or dance numbers!

And in the end, yeah, pretty lousy.  But I've seen worse!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 03 May 2017 at 9:40pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

JURASSIC WORLD (2015)

Turn off all logic and full speed ahead!

As I've noted before, this is a classic example of a roller coaster of a movie, and it makes no pretense of being anything else. Which is one of the things that makes it enjoyable.

Watching last night I had a small epiphany -- Claire's white blouse and skirt remain so amazingly clean throughout her jungle adventure for the same reason men in old serials didn't lose their hats. It makes it easier to match the shots!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

SPIDER-MAN 3 (2007)

Is it really one of the worst superhero movies ever made?

I think it's just that Spider-Man movies are supposed to be cool and fun, and it wasn't. SPIDER-MAN 2 was solid entry, maybe even better than the first (remove Power Ranger Goblin, add awesome looking Doc Ock). Then we get more PRG, a black symbiote costume that makes Peter Parker dance and Eric Foreman creepy, and yes, just too much dancing, singing, and crying for any super-hero movie, let alone one featuring Spider-Man.

<< Prev Page of 370 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version