Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 390 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2017 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Is it really one of the worst superhero movies ever made?
--

I, too, saw it recently on Blu, and it was not as bad as I remembered. It's definitely not a GOOD movie, but since SPIDER-MAN 3 we've had Zack Snyder. Just saying.
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

NEIGHBORS 2: SORORITY RISING (2016)

The original was no classic by any means, but this sequel is surprisingly just as solid and funny as the first.

A big, dumb, raunchy comedy, but also smarter and wittier than you would expect.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

TREMORS (1989)

Long time favorite. A thoroughly enjoyable homage to the "desert town" monster movies of the Fifties. Remarkable practical special effects.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

(I could watch 10 different movies with Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward as the leads!!)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

THE GRIFTERS (1990)

Well done, with good performances throughout*, the film is very much a book-to-screen adaptation, where the intent is clearly to hit that hard-boiled tone that permeated a certain type of novel from a certain era. There's a coincidence midway through the film that I'm not quite certain I buy, and I was a little surprised that there isn't a long con buried in the plot ala' "The Sting," another film where the con is king. There's a surprising lack of sympathy at moments, and we see a lot more of Annette Bening than I remembered seeing.

* I wonder if John Cusack is miscast. He definitely seems a little soft and out of place in this world of hard-nosed criminals and edge-players, but then that's what everyone tells him in the movie as well, so maybe not...  

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

DEADPOOL (2016)

Definitely holds up, and as I've said before, it's the love story that is the film's saving grace. If Deadpool was just out there killing the killers 'cause he's a wa-wa-wacky guy, the schtick wouldn't work nearly as well. 

And under "we know too much about what happens behind the scenes these days" category, I was genuinely thrown near the end of the picture trying to figure out or remember how the film managed to get two X-Men, the Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters plaque, AND a downed helicarrier into the same movie...

Edited by Brian Hague on 10 May 2017 at 7:11pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, I think if you have a husk like that in a junkyard and don't explicitly call it a helicarrier in your movie, you're ok.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

REVENGE OF THE NERDS (1984).

Love this movie. It's very, very 80s, and the conduct of our heroes in retaliating against their jock oppressors would definitely not fly in today's world (ranging as it does from un-P.C. to blatantly illegal). But, it has some great jokes, memorable characters, and a positive message about tolerance and brotherhood. Compared to other college sex comedies of the 80s, this one has some real heart and purpose behind it.

There's something kinda brilliant about using nerd persecution as a metaphor for bigotry and hate crimes, what with such details as the burning "NERDS" sign placed on the Tri-Lambs' front lawn, and Betty's statement that "they all look alike". 

I'm a nerd, and I'm pretty proud of it!

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977)

While I found it sagging a bit in the middle, almost 40 years later the end sequence still makes me feel like a kid.

That said, the "tall and skinny" extraterrestrial that has to stoop low to exit the mothership, then abruptly disappears to little or no reaction from humans, still has me baffled... And the movie PAUL (2011) has sadly imprinted itself on my mind when I see the animatronic alien at the end.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

REVENGE OF THE NERDS II: NERDS IN PARADISE (1987).

This was actually my first exposure to the NERDS films, since it was running constantly on HBO when I was a kid. As a result, it hasmajor nostalgic power, for me. The original was the R-rated forbidden fruit that I didn't get to see in its entirety until I was around 18, but ai watched the sequel a great many times.

This one definitely falls into the "bad/guilty pleasure movies that I love" category. It currently holds a 7% rating on the Tomatometer, but there are jokes and bits that I still enjoy. The inherent problem is that it relies too much on raunchy jokes (despite dropping the series down to a PG-13 level) and episodic hijinks rather than having a solid story. And, I get the feeling that Roger Latimore was originally written to be Stan Gable, but the role ended up being rewritten and recast with a young Bradley Whitford (.,.what, the buck stops at this movie for Ted McGinley?!?!?).

Anthony Edwards being reduced to an extended cameo doesn't help, either. Bonus points for the inclusion of James Hong, though.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977)

While I found it sagging a bit in the middle, almost 40 years later the end sequence still makes me feel like a kid.

I saw CLOSE ENCOUNTERS at a free premiere, and I still wanted my money back.

There is nothing at all in that movie that makes any kind of sense. I mean, think about it. We now have PROOF that the aliens have been kidnapping people and messing with people's head FOR DECADES, and then they send a message saying "We are coming to this location." How do we respond? By sending all our best and brightest scientists, with nary a trace of a military presence, even for protection.

At the time, I said I really want to see a hatch kick open in the underside of the mothership, and an alien with a death ray start blasting everything in sight. "SUCKERS!!"

And I still can't figure how nobody noticed the gigantic hole the mothership was hiding in before it revealed itself. (It rose from a point LOWER than the base of Devil's Tower.) Or why the %^#% it was hiding UPSIDE DOWN!!!!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

You make me glad I've never seen it, JB.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Despite the story problems and gaps in logic, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS is one of those rare films for me where the style trumps the substance, but I end-up loving it anyway.  A lot of it, I'm sure, has to do with seeing it on TV as a kid*, but the visual effects, John Williams score, Richard Dreyfuss performance and overall sense of wonder all help make it (again, for me, anyway) more enjoyable than it should be.

(And I think even Spielberg has admitted that the shot of the rising mothership made no sense whatsoever... but he went with it anyway!)

*(Also for me, part of the original allure of the film was hearing two waitresses in a local breakfast diner (sometime in 1978) discuss which they thought was better, STAR WARS or CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.  When one of them said the latter, my 5-year old mind went, "What could be better than STAR WARS???"  So of course I made sure to see it as soon as it hit network TV!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 13 May 2017 at 9:45am

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

X-MEN: APOCALYPSE (2016)

Wow, only 7 minutes in, and already treated to one of the single most ridiculous, nonsensical and howlingly awful opening sequences in any film I've ever seen in my life.

No exaggeration, it's that stupefying.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

REVENGE OF THE NERDS III: THE NEXT GENERATION (1992).

Pain...pain...!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)

Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable in a comedy masterpiece. Beautifully restored, and happily free of most of the casual racism to be found in movies of the time.

Also fun to see a real autogyro (which they pronounce with the emphasis on the second syllable).

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

REVENGE OF THE NERDS IV: NERDS IN LOVE (1994).

...pain....

Could be worse, I suppose. There was the subsequent failed TV pilot, with Cousin Oliver as Booger...

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

REVENGE OF THE NERDS IV ?!

Never even knew such a thing existed!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Mind you, those last two NERDS films were made-for-TV, and aired on Fox in '92 and '94. I saw them when they first aired. Amazingly, pretty much the entire original cast (as well as the writers) from the original film came back for the TV movies (...the most notable exception being Anthony Edwards, who felt that the first film had told a complete story. So we got his limited, contractually-obligated appearance in the first sequel, and his non-appearances in the TV movies). 

That being all said, the TV movies are painful. NERDS went from a sharp, R-rated college sex comedy, to a brainless PG-13 theatrical sequel, to two toothless, stupid TV movies, to an abysmal, failed TV pilot, to a theatrical remake/reboot in the early 00s, which had the plug pulled early after filming began.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2017 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The Shut In 

It stunk.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

X-MEN: APOCALYPSE (2016)

Wow, only 7 minutes in, and already treated to one of the single most ridiculous, nonsensical and howlingly awful opening sequences in any film I've ever seen in my life.

No exaggeration, it's that stupefying.

It wasn't bad enough (or good enough) for me to remember it....

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Even by the outlandish standards of a typical X-MEN and/or superhero movie, it was rubbish.

And yes, the rest of the film was pretty poor... just didn't care, and shut it off at the 1/3 mark.  Could be the very worst of that particular franchise... and that's saying something!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

DARKMAN (1990).

Long before DEADPOOL made R-rated superhero comedies a thing, and just after BATMAN made superhero movies dark, there was DARKMAN,

Sam Raini's first studio film is an entertaining romp, full of the cleverness and zaniness his films are known for. It's an interesting turn for Liam Neeson, who mixes dark, over-the-top humor with pathos and madness.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

"I have nine more questions..."

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

THE GUNFIGHTER (1950)

Gregory Peck in a very somber, low key studio Western. That he plays a "famous gunfighter" named Jimmy Ringo was somewhat distracting. I spent a good part of the movie wondering if this was an attempt to rehabilitate the legend of Johnny Ringo, the notorious gunslinger seen as a villain in TOMBSTONE and elsewhere. It wasn't.

Otherwise enjoyable, tho its "message" comes at the end with a sledgehammer.

<< Prev Page of 390 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version