Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 429 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I enjoyed the remake, tho I have not seen the original.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Doesn't it cause damage to the space-time continuum when an individual watches a remake but not the original? :)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I say give the remake a chance, with an open mind, Robbie... at the time, I recall thinking the 2010 CLASH OF THE TITANS, though set in the distant past, was actually a better (stealth) superhero movie than most superhero movies!

The dialogue can be uninspired at times, but all of the leads play their parts in a convincingly straightforward manner... no one seems to be winking at the audience, the action is pretty decent (I wish director Louis Letterier had a bigger career today), and the score is surprisingly solid, as well.

It may ultimately be forgotten in time, but I, for one, think it's been unfairly maligned.  A rental can't hurt anybody!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I watched both "Clash's" at the theater upon their releases.

The original became an instant classic between my friends and I.
The remake was fun to watch.

I will actually jump in to either of them if they're on the tube.

Now if we're going to talk of my preference between CGI and Ray Harryhausen, well that's easy....

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well! There's an interesting comparision. Has there ever been a single person renowned for CGI work? Will that person be admired and be an inspiration to others? 

-No Answer Required-

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm enough of a nerd to be able to rattle off a list of CGI deities and demigods off the top of my head, but they're names I already knew from their prior work in practical effects, which sort of proves your point. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2018 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

XTRO (1982)

If there's anyone that can make sense of this film, please let me know!

It seems to be a mishmash of, well, something. And after a great start, it just, well, became boring and convoluted after that.

It might have been an idea for the film to decide whether it wanted to be horror or sci-fi (I know some films can be both). Sticking with one or the other might have helped.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I remember Xtro being recommended to me in a video shop
in the 80`s as being on a par with Alien, i too found it
a confusing mess!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Two sequels were made, but I had no desire to watch them (I'm told they had nothing to do with the original).

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING (1975) D: John Huston

Originally conceived for Bogart and Gable and wouldn't that have been something (as well as really making clear the connection between this and TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE). Of course, Connery and Caine are perfect. I forgot how funny the sort of buddy movie first half is.

This brings down the curtain on Michael Caine week over here and, in short, he's really good.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Watching GODZILLA vs MEGAGUIRUS (2000). Still love the intensity of the model work. Like Supermarionation on a mix of steroids and LSD. All that work, just to have some guy in a rubber suit come along and trample on it! ("...look at it quizzically...")

Thinking it would be a fun plot for OUR CARTOON PRESIDENT to have Rump mistake a Godzilla move for a a documentary, and decide he wants America to have a bigger monster.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Uncle Buck (1989).

First re-watch of this John Hughes film since I saw it in the cinema back in the day, when it was a disappointment to my young self.

And it's still not much cop. Some bits work quite well -- all the interactions between Buck and the two young kids and all the fish-out-of-water comedy revolving around Buck in the big, nice house. But the main thrust of the film -- the battle between Buck and the elder daughter and his problems with his girlfriend Shanice -- are not very interesting. Buck himself is a bit of an odd character. The film can't quite decide whether he's a big loveable doofus or an edgier beast.

Of course, John Candy is very likeable and he delivers some laugh out loud bits (my favourite involving a decorative plate). Also interesting to see Macaulay Culkin basically essaying what would become Kevin in Home Alone.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

A CURE FOR WELLNESS (2017)

The look of the film (locations, cinematography, art direction) is admittedly stunning... this is probably one of the best-looking horror-thrillers I've ever seen.

The film itself is one long, unpleasant, gross, ridiculous, unsettling, stomach-churning slog.  Even by horror-thriller standards, it's no fun in the least.

It may stay with you for days... but in a way that just makes you feel lousy.

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

DUNKIRK (1958) D: Leslie Norman

Oh? Was there another DUNKIRK? Two parallel stories, a corporal (John Mills) in France tries to lead his men to safety while civilians (Bernard Lee, Richard Attenborough) in England find themselves drawn into the war, converge on the beach in a well done climax. As was done at the time, scenes in the water were obviously done in a tank, but everything on the beach (Camber Sands standing in for the real thing) has an impressive sense of scale that Nolan could hardly have bettered.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

But did he have to "better" it or could he have told a tale that equaled it? I don't even think this film, one I've never heard of, was on his radar as one he had to equal. So...what's the point of making a thing of it where there was none there to begin with?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The only comparison made was the sense of scale on the beaches. That the 1958 version holds up in comparison to the new version in this capacity seems to me a fair comment, Matt.

It's just a way of saying they did a good job back in the day -- or at least, that's how it reads to me.

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2018 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Peter Martin wrote:
...It's just a way of saying they did a good job back in the day -- or at least, that's how it reads to me.

Bingo.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entert ainment-arts-40572354

Nice piece on the Ealing Dunkirk film here.

Had a brief chat with Nolan about it a year or so ago at the BFI.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

DADDY'S HOME 2 (2017)

It's fine... it's funny enough... but man, that Mel Gibson is now just one officially scary dude.  This is a (somewhat salty) family comedy, but the guy looks downright maniacal, like he's ready to *snap* at any given moment.

The rest of the cast is wonderful... he was hard to watch.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

HIGH NOON (1952)

Well, I tried. Never seen it, but every time someone says "Frank Miller" it yanks me right out of the movie!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Julius Caesar (1953).

Strong cast and a decent version. Brando does well enough with the pulpit scene, particularly the reading of Caesar's will ("Here was a Caesar, when comes such another?"), though at other times his idiosyncratic style of speaking is a little ill-suited.

I liked James Mason's take on Brutus very much, delivering a suitable level of calm and nobility, without coming across as pompous, which is a danger with the role.

Cassius' role is sort of double-edged in the play, and Gielgud captured the needy, desperate side that we see in the second half of the play very well (his reading of the line "You wrong me, Brutus. I said an elder soldier, not a better. Did I say 'better'?" is marvellous). I thought he did a touch less well with the charismatic, "lean and hungry" aspect from earlier on in the play when he is manipulating his co-conspirators.

Both Gielgud and Mason are at their best in the scene where they are at odds with each other, knowing that the triumverate are coming for them, navigating the compexities of the relationship admirably.

Louis Calhern as Caesar and Edmond O'Brien as Casca I found less impressive.

I thought the film as a whole did a good job of not trying to be too expansive or cinematic, keeping it tight and small for the most part, but opening up the scale in key areas, such as with the crowds before the pulpit and an ambush battle scene late on.

Edited by Peter Martin on 08 March 2018 at 8:28pm

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:50pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Enjoyed that link, Richard, thanks. That's cool you got to meet Nolan. What did you guys talk about?

THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1968) D: Norman Jewison

Just a bit of a time capsule, really the score is the main offender, but good lord, McQueen and Dunaway? This is some peak movie stardom right here. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 12:54am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

`Well, I tried. Never seen it, but every time someone
says "Frank Miller" it yanks me right out of the movie!`

I was married by a vicar called Frank Miller!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I don't overly remember Pete, it was a bit surreal.

I try to visit the BFI as often as possible, you often have screenings with cast and crew members, lectures from industry people and the most amazing selection of street food running down the South Bank.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

BARBARELLA (1968)

Second - and last! - viewing. I still have no idea what really is going on. Great first four minutes, though. ;-)

<< Prev Page of 429 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version