Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 429
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

WORLD WITHOUT END (1956)

Haven't seen this in uncounted decades. Just found it -- beset by sleeplessness -- this morning on TCM. What a delight! 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

WORLD WITHOUT END, as many of you know, is one of my smaller favorites. It's just so sincere!

(As I have mentioned before, it follows--or sets--the blueprint of the original PLANET OF THE APES, with the astronauts simply finding out The Truth much sooner here.)

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was thinking PLANET OF THE APES, yes, and "Star Trek" a bit too. The movie is, indeed, earnest -- and because of that not at all corny or hokey.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's funny to think how much our perceptions of space travel have changed. The flight in WWE is "man's first journey into space"--and it's to Mars! For two orbits!

A recurrent element is how they define "life". Spotting green stuff on Mars, which might be grass, one of the astronauts comments that there could be life down there. Later, stranded on what they think is an alien world, they walk past trees and grass and bushes, searching for life!

And there are indeed some STAR TREK overtones. The sets--designed by Alberto Vargas!--have a strong Matt Jeffries look. Also the miniskirted women!

Plus, as I have said before, I love how the whole thing looks like it was drawn by Wally Wood!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wally Wood, surely. I can't help but appreciate -- and love! -- how some key movies of this era exhibiting a direct heroic line from WW2 pilots to the early astronauts, amid anti-Communism (self-reflected as insecurity about Jim Crow), and adding an equal mix of Atomic Age optimism and pessimism, led to... Marvel Comics!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

...led to... Marvel Comics!

••

There's an alternate reality where Wally Wood inked the first three dozen or so issues of FANTASTIC FOUR!

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI (2017)

Powerful story, great performances. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

THE MEG (2018)

Well, I wasn’t expecting JAWS, and I surely didn’t get it.

(And somehow the whole thing had the look of a recent-vintage Godzilla movie—the Japanese version.)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2018 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Finishing up my Halloween recordings, I watched Halloween 2 (1981) and Halloween H20: 20 years later (1998).

I'd watched about half of Halloween 2 several years ago, but hadn't been able to get through the whole thing (for it is pretty dire), but I did manage the whole mess this time around. It's very one note and has no real ideas for where to go with the story other than just continue Michael's massacre in bog-standard sequel bigger, bigger, more, more fashion. Full of characters that are introduced for the sake of providing more victims, it gives zero to Jamie Leigh Curtis to do other than whimper and limp and intro's the ill-advised aspect of Michael and Laurie being siblings. Bad idea that adds nothing to the proceedings, but which knocked the series on to a different axis. Hey ho. Kind of amusing how Michael -- an individual with zero education beyond the age of six, remember -- is up to speed on various machines and complex pieces of infrastructure. You can rely on him to know how to successfully cut the power and telephone lines to a hospital and operate the controls of a hydrotherapy tube. Michael by this point is just so boring, the insane killing freak who won't die and just wants to hurt people. Get a life, Michael!

H20 I saw in the cinema (gawd, 20 years ago) and back then I thought it was an effective sequel. It does have an excellent, suspenseful opening sequence and the film has a nicely measured pace and actually tries to have proper characters that aren't just there to die. I was struck by just how short the film is. It builds up nicely to Michael's arrival, but when he does, it doesn't really have too much for him to do. He turns up, kills a couple of people and then we get a final resolution. In the minus column, the mask looks very odd at times, far less scary than in the first film.  Josh Hartnett has a very curious hairstyle here -- kind of like the full Spock cut for the front and sides, but with the fluffy back of a six-year-old's bedhead.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2018 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It really is a bizarre hair cut and if you want to see any more of its appearances, be sure to check out The Faculty.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2018 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Alfred Hitchcock's THE LADY VANISHES (1938)

Just wasn't feelin' it this time around... the leads (charming Michael Redgrave and ravishing Margaret Lockwood) and ensemble are all pleasant enough, and there's some interesting (though dated) Hitchcock movie magic throughout, but the overall story and plot contrivances seemed mighty creaky.

Got 2/3rds in and realized, this time, I was bored just didn't care!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 429
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version