Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 413
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I love that moment, too. Great, subtle acting. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

WONDER WOMAN (2017)

Uneven, but enjoyable... only my second viewing, and the pacing & editing issues are more apparent, as is the over-the-top nature of the final, inevitable CGI puncha-smasha-explode-a-thon, but as a Wonder Woman film, still so much better than I was expecting, given the dismal track record of most DC films of the past 30-40 years!

Definitely could have been trimmed-down, but Gal Gadot makes it all worthwhile.  If this is the only WW film we ever get, I can live with it.

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Iíve watched WONDER WOMAN onumber of times & come to the conclusion that I like it up to the end of the no manís land scene. & then it just falls flat on its face.

There is a distinct difference in the action up to that point - choreographed, edited well, exciting. After that it just becomes this fight against a rubbish CGI villain, who stands high in the list of Mia-cast villains. Because, although the idea of wimp being the god of war is interesting, when he needs to be buff, & speak in a voice with grandeur, all he actually does is sound boring.

3/4 of a good film in my opinion.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 24 May 2018 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

WONDER WOMAN... 3/4 of a good film in my opinion.

ēē

Unfortunately, the remaining 1/4 is so wretched it poisoned the whole movie for me. I have not been able to watch it a second time.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2018 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The thing about these CGI-laden finales is that directors and computer animators still seem to have a hard time understanding that you just can't throw believability and the laws of physics out the window, and fling a bunch of wonky pyrotechnics at the screen and expect everyone to just sit back and say, "Cool!"  Much like the "uncanny valley" when it comes to CGI human characters, the eye can still pick out a bunch of CGI b.s., when it comes to these preposterous battles, whether they're comicbook-based or not.  As more of these films get made, it's these final acts that I find the most tiresome, and yes, I have the same issues with the recent BLACK PANTHER and INFINITY WAR.

Honestly, I think the climax of WONDER WOMAN is no better or worse than dozens of other superhero films, but that's not to say it's excusable.  I think the main reason I found it compelling at all was because of Gal Gadot's emotion and performance.  No special effect there--just good old-fashioned acting!

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 24 May 2018 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

LAST ACTION HERO (1993)

Fun and, alas, mostly misunderstood.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

IT COMES AT NIGHT (2017)

Kind of a horrible, nasty little film... well-photographed, and Joel Edgerton continues to impress me as an actor, but the story is too slight, and main purpose of the movie seems less about telling a story of survival (in some sort of post-epidemic world), and more about just making the viewer feel absolutely miserable by the awful, sickening end.

The trailers looked intriguing, but steer clear... you'll be sorry if you don't.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The trailers looked intriguing, but steer clear... you'll be sorry if you don't.

----

The trailers gave many people the impression that it was a monster movie, which it's not. It's a character study on xenophobia, and viewed through that lens, it's done really well, if a bit nihilistic and depressing. But the trailer, as well as all the reviews hailing it as a scary horror film, are totally misleading.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I understand what they were going for, and found it compelling at first... by the halfway mark, it became an endurance test, with ultimately no entertainment value whatsoever.  By the end, I simply thought, "Why did I just put myself through that?"

Well-made, I suppose, for what it is, but far, far too bleak to be called enjoyable in any way.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 413
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version