Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 385
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

MOONRAKER (1979)

I do like this film.

Despite its outlandish nature, it is somehow grounded. Maybe it's Michael Lonsdale's performance, maybe it's the script, but despite the outlandish nature (and the science errors, e.g. noise in space), it feels real. It's that verisimilitude word that I learnt as a kid. Something feels very credible about this.

Perhaps it's all the elements coming together. The actors all appear to take it seriously (for the most part). It comes across that way. And if they took the outlandish premise seriously, then I guess I did, too.

It's a lot of fun from beginning to end, despite the flaws. I'd take outlandish-but-credible, escapist fun like this over the Bourne-like reality of the Daniel Craig era any day of the week!
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Suicide Squad. 

wow that was disturbing. Poor Harley Quinn, such a bad Joker. Will Smith wasn't as terrible as everyone said. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 September 2017 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN (1969)

Live action sci-fi from Gerry Anderson and Co. A favorite of my late teens, so I picked up a cheap Blu. A mirror image Earth is detected -- well, you know where! Astronauts are sent to investigate. A six week round trip!

It's pure Supermarionation, with the special effects never close to convincing. Why, I wonder, did Anderson not pick up on the Japanese trick of actually filming the models under a real sky?

Takes a looooooooooooooong time to commence the title voyage.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

WONDER WOMAN showed up on pay-per-view last night, and for a moment my finger hovered over the SELECT button. Perhaps a second viewing would take the bad taste out of my mouth?

But I decided against it. The movie was such a colossal disappointment to me that I saw no reason to reopen old wounds.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Birds (1963). Sort of memorable and disappointing at the same time. Tippi Hedren was certainly beautiful but isn't as compelling as, say, Grace Kelly might have been and the chemistry isn't really there between her and Rod Taylor. The build-up is perhaps a little too slow and a little contrived and the climax a little bit underwhelming but there are still some excellent parts. The middle section of the film is perhaps the strongest with the discussion in the cafe and the interaction of all the small-town characters. The birds between attacks give the most effective creeps -- the simple scene where Tippi Hedren sits smoking a cigarette in a playground and the film cuts to the increasing number of birds silently perched behind her is brilliant.

Also, randomly, love the convertible DB2 that she drives in this movie!

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2017 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE FOUNDER (2016) via Netflix

Starring Michael Keaton, Laura Dern, Nick Offerman, John Carrol Lynch, Linda Cardellini, B.J. Novak, and Patrick Wilson.

A biographical drama about Ray Kroc, the "founder" of the McDonalds franchise, that begins in 1954 when he is a traveling salesman for restaurant equipment and continues through his discovery of the McDonald brothers in San Bernardino, California and the rise of his fast food empire up to the early 1970's.

The movie itself didnít do much at the box office when it was released but it is very well produced and provides some terrific cinematography that gives you a strong feeling of being in the 1950s. It is also chalk full of solid performances by its cast (especially Keaton and Offerman) and certainly deserved more accolades than it received.

Part of the problem was likely due to its original release date being pushedback to early December 2016 so that it might qualify for Oscar consideration.But in the process, it got lost among the other box office heavyweights thatwere released that same month (Rogue One,La La Land, Hidden Figures, Passengers, etc.). 

Worth a look if you can spare a couple hours and a bag of popcorn.

Edited by James Best on 20 September 2017 at 1:23pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 385
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version