Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 377
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

TORSO (1973). Exploitative and kind of boring. And then, suddenly, it becomes a masterpiece for about 20 minutes.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

...so Walston has to keep him clear of his wife (Kim Novak).

Check that cast again, Tim!

(Walston, btw, stepped in when Peter Sellers was felled by a near fatal heart attack. Now THAT would have been a different movie!)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

30th anniversary alert:

ROBOCOP (1987)

Like Mr. Kirkman on the previous page, I too popped this one in to celebrate its 30th anniversary this month (even ordered the Basil Poledouris soundtrack!)... I'm old enough to still remember some of the initial reviews which wrote this off as ultra-violent schlock--even the title "RoboCop" was being laughed at before its original release--but we all know now what a classic it's turned out to be.

Lean & mean, wonderfully directed and bitingly funny, with superb performances all-around, not the least of which is Peter Weller in the title role.  He's fascinating to watch, from beginning to end.

Just a great, great piece of action/sci-fi filmmaking.  An excellent, deserved '80s classic!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2017 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

(even ordered the Basil Poledouris soundtrack!)

++++++

It's SO good! I hope you got the expanded edition, which features the full score, including the music for Mediabreaks and commercials and whatnot. Been listening to various cues, over the past few days.

And, yeah, Weller is great. My favorite performance of his might just be NAKED LUNCH, if only because RoboCop doesn't get to speak as much (and with that wonderfully dry and black humor). Still, history has borne out the idea that no one else can successfully play that character. We've had, like, four other guys play RoboCop, but none have topped Weller. He beautifully conveys the connected-to-Murphy-but-not-quite nature of RoboCop as seen in the film's last act. It's basically three different roles: Murphy, RoboCop, and RoboCop after he's regained some semblance of humanity and personal identity.

And, as time goes on, I continue to appreciate just how funny the movie is without losing its credibility as a sci-fi action thriller. That's what makes it so unique, I think. There's also all of the subtlety in the story structure--the things that aren't spelled out. A casual viewer might not pick up on the fact that Jones hired Clarence to kill a bunch of cops in order to make ED-209 more desirable, with the wrinkle that Morton's people deliberately placed RoboCop candidates in harm's way. So, Jones' greed basically sets his own death in motion when Clarence keeps up his end of the deal by killing Murphy. 

Also, a detail I don't think I'd noticed, 'till this latest viewing: In the opening Mediabreak, we see footage of the dead police officers killed by Clarence and his gang (...as would have been seen in the prologue sequence that appears in the script/comic/novelization. I don't think it was filmed, though.). "29", "30", and "31" are spraypainted on the pavement, next to bodies. This detail is a remnant of that prologue, since Clarence is keeping count of the cops he's killed, and has Emil spraypaint the numbers.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 20 July 2017 at 10:12pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 July 2017 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB:  "Check that cast again, Tim!"

D'oh!  Thank you, JB - good catch.  Farina Farr played the wife, and Kim Novak was a local... um... shall we say "work for hire"? 

It's really wild to think of what Peter Sellers would have done in the role.  I really like Walston, but he is no Sellers!!!

Back to Top profile | search | email

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

SUICIDE SQUAD

It's on Netflix, so I needed to see if it REALLY is that bad. It is. I lasted 20 minutes. I only bring it up here, because I think I witnessed the most horrible interpretation of The Joker we're ever likely to see. It was like watching a concert where the pianist can't get a single note right.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 377
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version