Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 370
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

…To say he is just copping an attitude…

••

Did somebody say that?

-------------------------

"he comes across to me as a pretty boy copping an attitude" were your words.

•••

Yes they were. And were you not taught that a qualifier such as "he comes across to me" means an opinion is being expressed, not an absolute truth?

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm quite happy to amend my comment to:
"...to say he comes across as copping an attitude..."

Edited by Peter Martin on 23 May 2017 at 9:10pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm quite happy to amend my comment to:

"...to say he comes across as copping an attitude..."

••

And you still don't get it.

Bored now.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Good news:  STAR WARS (1977)... yay!

Bad news:  The Special Edition... boo!

Good news:  The greatness of the film as a whole still outshines any of those egregious additions & revisions... I try to squint during some of the new shots, and completely skip right past that laughable, confusing and unnecessary Jabba the Hutt scene.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2017 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

STAR WARS (1977).

Good news: The original, theatrical version.

Bad news: I wasn't alive to see it in the theater during its original release.

Great news: Still a perfect movie. Even its flaws are charming. No amount of sequels, prequels, or Disney sausage factory-releases can ever really diminish or destroy it. It still works as an entity unto itself. The greatest and most important film ever made, all things considered? Maybe. 

At the very least, it's a ridiculously satisfying and uplifting movie experience. People have told me that seeing the film in '77 was akin to a religious experience, and I totally get that. From an editing standpoint alone, the film moves so quickly and dispenses information so casually that it would absolutely have taken multiple viewings to soak everything in. As George Lucas has often noted, the film was deliberately structured to be like a foreign film that the audience as thrown into without context. 

It's a masterpiece of world-building, and I'd argue that no other film in cinema history has so convincingly and effortlessly created such a rich universe with so much going on in every corner of the frame. Every shot conjures up stories and backstories and side-stories. There are casual references to characters and events that add a high degree of verisimilitude to the proceedings. To say nothing of the groundbreaking "used future" design aesthetic. It's definitely not a stretch to say that the film is one of the best art-directed films of all time--virtually every design (costumes, locations, vehicles, weapons, droids, etc.) is memorable and iconic. As is the sound design, and the music, and the characters, and...

It's just this magic little movie where everything that needed to happen to make it work--everything--all came together perfectly at exactly the right time. If any one element had been off, it could have been a disaster. Instead, it became a cultural phenomenon whose massive shadow we're still very much living in, nearly a half-century later.

More detailed thoughts to be posted in the STAR WARS section, when I have a chance to further reflect and write.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

[quote]Even its flaws are charming.[\quote]

Greg, when you take STAR WARS up again in its own section, I'm interested in specifying what you consider flaws and why, as well as how you find those flaws charming -- because I'm always interested in your opinions!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 370
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version