Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 410 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2018 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I didn’t say it was any good Peter
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2018 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE BRIDGES at TOKO-RI (1954)

A mostly sullen William Holden plays a naval pilot during the Korean War.
The highlight for me though were the great shots of the F9F Panther, a favorite for sure. And in color no less!

Oh, there was another highlight, Grace Kelly!
Back to Top profile | search

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2018 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

LINCOLN (2012) via Netflix.

Starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, Hal Holbrook, David Strathairn, James Spader, Gloria Reuben, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce McGill, and Jackie Earle Haley.

Directed / produced by Steven Spielberg, the movie is based in part on the 2005 book “Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln” by historian Doris Kearns Goodwin. It earned strong positive reviewed, grossed over $275 million across the globe, and garnered twelve Oscar and seven Golden Globe nominations, with Day-Lewis (in the title role) winning both respective awards for Best Actor.

While Day-Lewis is superb in the lead role and worthy of his acting trophies, both Jones (as Thaddeus Stevens) and Field (as Mary Todd Lincoln) also earned Oscar nods for their supporting roles and they more than hold their own onscreen.

This film had been on my “must rent” list for several years and I am glad that Netflix, and a slower work schedule in April, gave me the chance to finally see it. Very watchable and highly recommended.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

LINCOLN was altogether too Spielbergian for me!

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

based in part on the 2005 book “Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln” by historian Doris Kearns Goodwin
------------------------------------------------------------ -------- 
very much IN PART. This was really more 'Abraham Lincoln and the Thirteenth Amendment'

and way too much James Spader

Edited by Jim Lynch on 14 April 2018 at 11:25am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS (1987)

Along with FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, the most credible and realistic of the Bond films.

Timothy Dalton was born to play the role. He came fully-formed. 

It's a shame we couldn't have had more Bond films like this. When the Dalton 'era' began in 1987, I had no idea it would be a mere two films. Such a shame. Such a waste.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Along with FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, the most credible and realistic of the Bond films.

•••

And not FROM RUSSIA, WITH LOVE.... why?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2018 at 9:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

GET OUT (2017)

Less of a traditional horror film, and more of a social-commentary mystery/thriller.  Intriguing and well-made for the first 3/4s... but the major plot contrivance towards the end was too unbelievable to take seriously.  The idea of a "Sunken Place" held more plausibility than said contrivance.

Good performances all around, though, with some much-needed humor sprinkled throughout to relieve some of the tension.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
And not FROM RUSSIA, WITH LOVE.... why?

Been an age since I've seen it. I remember some aspects of the plot, but not much else. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I need to watch JUMANJI again. I enjoyed it the first time, but I need to determine how much of that was surprise that I was enjoying it at all!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A while back I mentioned introducing 2001: A SPACE ODESSEY to a young (30) friend, and being interested to note her reaction. At the same time I'd mentioned the Marvel "adapation", by Jack Kirby, and this past weekend she asked to see it.

Again, I was fascinated by her response. Altho the "adaptation" is wildly off-model, she really appreciated Kirby's interpretation. Was quite blown away, in fact, by some of his imagery.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2018 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Speaking of which:

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)

Watched it last week... still love it.  Probably watched it one-too-many times in my youth, but now once every 5 years or so does the trick for me.  And I'll probably continue to do so until the years run out and I'm dead!

Fascinating to read the new behind-the-scenes book from Michael Benson... quite the eye-opener for this long-time fan.  For those who think Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke & co. made it up as they went along--they wouldn't be wholly incorrect!

(And I wish I still had my Treasury Edition of Jack Kirby's 2001... sold it off years ago, and would love to flip through that one again.  Oh well... Google Images, here I come!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 16 April 2018 at 7:14pm

Phil Geiger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

All the actors are fabulous and I love this movie, but I especially enjoyed Peter Boyle's performance this time. Specifically his facial expressions during "Puttin' On the Ritz".

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

ZOOM (2015)

An independent comedy with a strong Brazilian flavor which starts off as an examination of creators and their relationships with their creations and all too quickly becomes bound up with its central conceit, at the expense of everything else. How much you enjoy the film will depend upon how much you can appreciate and buy into its story-within-a-story narrative structure. 

Alison Pill is adorable in the Canadian-filmed section of the film, but this third is the one most heavily laden with contrivance, at least at first. Gael Garcia Bernal plays her dream guy, a film director fighting to see his vision realized onscreen in the animated sections. Mariana Xavieres plays a model who flees to Brazil to work on her novel after finding no support from her lover who sees her only as a functionary in crafting other people's fantasies, incapable of intellectual endeavor on her own.

As the lives of these three begin to cross, the plot becomes much more about the mechanics of the story than the characters and their individual journeys. While ZOOM is much more antic than the dour and joyless STRANGER THAN FICTION, starring Will Ferrell, I'd like to see a film that tries something similar yet services its people and their stories a little better. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 17 April 2018 at 8:01am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

THE POST (2017)

One of the things that bugs me about Spielberg is that he warps reality to make his pictures. In this case, barely ten minutes in, he gives us people making photocopies by laying the papers face UP, so his camera can read them.

Earnest and sincere, but with far too much fiction, and ultimately a discount ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

SUPERMAN III (1983)

Time has not been kind, but I've been more forgiving over the years.  So many things (on paper) should work, but don't... yet there are so many decent (or even great) little moments sprinkled throughout, that it's hard for me to out-and-out hate this one.  Put another way:  Over 30 years later, I still have not been able to sit through the entirety of SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE, but I will gladly sit through this entry every so often.  And really, Christopher Reeve seems to be at his absolute peak in the role, in terms of physicality, looks and confidence.

Watching it again, I wondered if it's best to approach this not as a direct extension of Parts I & II, but more as a big-budget, 30-years-later riff on some of the goofier episodes of the 1950's "Adventures of Superman."

Either way, it's fun, not great, but inoffensive.  And certainly more on-model than the insufferable Bryan Singer or Zack Synder films.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I quite liked it.

There is much wrong with it. I'm not sure what some scenes added to the film.

But I do like many aspects. The rescue of the man in the car, the fire scene, the harvester scene, Superman VS Kent in a scrapyard, and Superman VS Super Computer were all very entertaining.

I liked the interaction between Clark Kent and Lana Lang. She appreciated him for who he was. Not as shallow as Lois Lane. I was disappointed that Lana Lang wasn't in the next film.

I don't really watch it now, but I do have it on as "background noise". The scrapyard fight is done very well. And I was on the edge of my seat (first time I saw it) when Super Computer seemed undefeatable. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

JUMANJI again. Enjoyed it. So I guess it wasn't just the "shock of the new" that made it entertaining the first time.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2018 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Superman III gets a bad rap. It's not the greatest film in the series but it's a lot better than people usually give it credit for.  

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I used to work with a young man named Robert Vaughn who had heard stuff about the actor but never seen anything with him in it. Millennials... I swear to God... (sigh.) But I did recommend Superman III to him as a sort of comedy offering. Vaughn is a lot of fun in the role of the villain and I really like his delivery of the line, "I ask you to kill Superman for me, and you can't even do... that... one... simple... thing..." 

I also enjoy the reunion scenes with Lana Lang in Smallville (I wonder if her having a son made Singer think he could somehow "improve" on that by switching the child over to Lois...) And while he's with Annette O'Toole back in Kansas, Gus Gorman was making out with Margot Kidder in "Some Kind Of a Hero" (with the camera as fa-a-ar across the room as possible while filming their love scenes together.) 

And of course, there's much to recommend the scenes featuring the dark, corrupted version of Superman. "I hope you don't expect me to save you. I don't do that anymore." 

It's not great. It's not epic. But it is well done, for what it set out to be. C'mon, the wind-up penguin scene is well-choreographed, right? And it definitely doesn't lead us astray as to what kind of movie the film makers intend to give us...

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I also enjoy the reunion scenes with Lana Lang in Smallville (I wonder if her having a son made Singer think he could somehow "improve" on that by switching the child over to Lois...) And while he's with Annette O'Toole back in Kansas, Gus Gorman was making out with Margot Kidder in "Some Kind Of a Hero" (with the camera as fa-a-ar across the room as possible while filming their love scenes together.) 
++++++++

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the idea of Richard Pryor and Marlon Brando having a thing, as recent reports have indicated.

Anyway, yeah, SUPERMAN III has a lot of great little moments and ideas sprinkled throughout. And maybe the best shirt-rip moment in all of the films. The problems come down to the stunt-casting of Pryor and the rather unfocused script, written by David and Leslie Newman, who were the Salkinds’ choice to refine Mario Puzo’s script for the first film, with Tom Mankiewicz being Donner’s choice to refine their work. After Donner was fired, Mankiewicz went with him, and so the theatrical version of SUPERMAN II (and then III) was much more in the camp style that was avoided in the first film. Indeed, with Richard Lester and the Newmans solely responsible for III, we can get a glimpse of what the first film might have been like, had Donner not steered things into a more respectful and serious direction.

Anyway, III has moments and ideas that I love alongside some really campy and terrible stuff. It’s a huge mixed bag, but a watchable one. I also have a real soft spot for IV, as terrible as it is.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

My former neighbor, Bill Ruger, then veep of the Sturm Ruger gun company, had one interesting complaint about SUPERMAN III. He pointed out that the scene where bad Superman sits in a bar shattering bottles by flicking peanuts against them with his finger could not play that way. Even assuming the impact of Superman's super hard fingernail did not shatter the peanut, hitting the bottle certainly would.

As Bill said "They're just peanuts!"

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

It should also be noted that both the SUPERMAN RETURNS and Snyderverse versions of the costume have color schemes very much in line with the evil Superman of SUPERMAN III, rather than the bright colors of the proper Superman costume.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Was your conversation with Bill the kernel of the idea which lead to the aura which surrounds Superman and the objects he touches?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 April 2018 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Was your conversation with Bill the kernel of the idea which lead to the aura which surrounds Superman and the objects he touches?

•••

No, that came from reading a book called THE SECRET HOUSE, by David Bodanis. It's all about the amazing -- and often gross! -- things that happen in one's house in a 24 hour period.

Highly recommended.

<< Prev Page of 410 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version