Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 933 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wolf Of Wall Street was quite entertaining but it felt like a
Scorcese by the numbers job.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Pacific Rim.  Watched with my son last night.  Great eye candy.  It was fun and we both enjoyed it.  I bought it a couple months ago when Target had their $10 Blu-Ray sale.  Glad I did.  We'll watch this again.
Back to Top profile | search

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 - Almost exactly the same as the first film but lacking the foreboding atmosphere, this doesn't make much of a case for its own existence. It's watchable without being particularly engaging, so it plods by painlessly enough, but it constantly walks the edge of boredom.

Somewhat interestingly, it's set before, during and after the original movie but, not as interestingly, is comprised largely of shots of empty rooms; uneventful to the point of self parody, it's really only in the last half hour that anything happens, and only in the last ten minutes that anything scary happens.

Ho hum.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

THE WORLD'S END (2013)

Really was hoping to love this one...

Based on the first third of the film, this could have been an instant, modern classic... then the blue robots show up. And THEN they reach the World's End pub, with the ridiculous "trial"... and THEN there's the amazingly bleak coda (with a "Wait, what?" final scene with Simon Pegg)...!

THE WORLD'S END has a fantastic first act and then just becomes a sloppy mess afterwards. Further proof for me (along the lines of other films like FROM DUSK 'TIL DAWN and COWBOYS & ALIENS) that these genre mash-ups just don't cut it in the end, no matter how entertaining in spots.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 - Well, this movie has problems.  It falls headlong into the trap that hobbles all horror series by demystifying the once-vague presence at its centre and adding layers of pointless explanation in order to milk the franchise until its udders are sore. It's also hard to believe that the tapes we see here survived, and a rushed explanation about wiped memories can't suppress the feeling that the young girls should have remembered a lot more than the events we heard about in the previous two films.

But... despite that, the movie works. It really does. It's a fully functioning horror movie that throws a lot more at us than before but somehow makes that not a bad thing; there's some dead air in the first half, but nothing like the amount in 'Paranormal Activity 2', and as the knocks and creaks build into an all-out assault, it gets creepier and creepier, until by the finale I was literally biting my nails.

It's surprisingly effective. Not as effective as the original film was the first time around, but it's a pretty decent effort.

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4 - The found footage conceit is stretched past breaking point here and so is the movie's demands on its audience's patience. After the surprisingly spooky third instalment this is a disappointment, a continuity-mangled sequel in which every scene is undercut by the feeling that no sane person would continue to film during half the stuff that happens, not to mention the magical means by which various webcams capture the tedium.

Rather than the horror gathering pace throughout, the only thing that builds is a gnawing sense of boredom. Towards the end (like, in the last minute) there are a couple of arresting images but it's the definition of too little, too late. And after the over-explaining of the previous movie this one conversely suffers from a lack of exposition; too many questions are raised that are never answered, partly because the plot doesn't really add up and partly because another sequel is on the way that needs to peck at the crumbs.

The worst of the series thus far.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2014 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Graduate. Never seen this before despite the film's big reputation (which I think it doesn't quite live up to). 

Anne Bancroft is a cut above everyone else and the film suffers once she disappears from the screen. It also suffers from being too tied to the mores and generational conflicts of its time (our hero, let's face it, is a bit of a bland twerp and Elaine is even blander) but it is interestingly shot (has a swimming pool ever looked more blue?), the performances are good and the songs are great.

Edited by Peter Martin on 08 April 2014 at 5:42pm

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

AMERICAN HUSTLE

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

DALLAS BUYERS CLUB

HUSTLE and WOLF didn't live up to the hype for me.  Both were longer than they needed to be (the latter by quite a bit). Solid performances, but I just wasn't that into the stories, I guess. 

DALLAS BUYERS CLUB, which I hadn't heard as much about, I found really engaging. I'm not a huge McConaughey fan, but...wow, he was very good.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 08 April 2014 at 5:56pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2014 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I really liked American Hustle. Not as good as Silver Linings, Russell's previous film, but the performances were just so good, I found it fun to spend time with those characters.

The whole 'science oven' bit just had me in stitches. 

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2014 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

DALLAS BUYERS CLUB-  Thumbs up
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2014 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (1999)

It was hyped; then over-hyped; it was a huge hit; then there was an almost instant backlash; now, over the years, it seems to have fallen into the "love it or hate it" category; and helped subject the public to a seemingly endless onslaught of "found footage" copycats (so much so it's pretty much a subgenre of its own).

Despite all that, I think this holds up amazingly well, and I've loved it since I first saw it in the theaters (where most of the audience BOOED at the end!).

Very creepy, simply & direct... nice performances, and quite ingenious, I feel. Real, solid filmmaking, pretending to be amateurish... not an easy feat!

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Blair Witch has always worked on me - last time I saw it I was alone in the house and I won't make that mistake again!

<< Prev Page of 933 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version