Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 396 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2009 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Goldfinger..Connery really had it by this time.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2009 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I took it as a film with all the different pieces of life that made Dylan what he is today

That's a good way of looking at the film Jodi and I say that as a Dylan fan.
Back to Top profile | search

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Payback:Director's Cut in HD

Virtually everything i hated about the original release, from the forced and lame voice-over to the test-screening approved ending  has been excised including the awful "blue-bypass" color timing. The result is a much harder edged, authentic 70's vibe gangster movie and it is thoroughly enjoyable.

The HD allows for much more of the negative's organic qualities to be present, like the visible but not distracting grain and color saturation. This version has a much higher contrast ration than the original release giving the silhouettesa more defined edge.

Makes a bad movie good, which is always a treat.

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Starting to watch Cheers season 11, first disc.

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Fairly deep into season 2 of the X-FILES. I bought that big-ass box that contains every season, plus the first movie. Good stuff, that holds up well, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to end my viewing with the season that Duchovny left. I know the final couple of seasons have their defenders, but for me (and at one time I was a HUGE fan of the show), it was a muddled mess. 

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Juno

first time I watched it , I didn't think it was all that and a bag of chips, because I had a friend that LOVED it and he built it up so much I didn't give it a fair chance. I watched it tonight and I have to say I really liked it, it is a very sweet, well done movie. Very much worth the second look.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Back to the Future.  My nephews (16,14,11) are staying with us for a few weeks and haven't seen any of them.  Tonight we'll start with Part 2.

The 11 years old was over heard saying, "That would be weird meeting Mom!"

Michael Cross
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

David, i'm doing the same thing, albeit slowly with the X-Files, I'm 1 disc into season 4

Ron Sluyter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2009 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I finally watched the Deer Hunter (I confess it was via DVR not DVD)  Have to say it was a very intense experience.  I wonder how controversial it was at the time with the Vietnam War still so fresh in everyone's mind.   

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.  Not a bad series overall, but really, it needed to hew a lot closer to the rapid-fire pace and humor of SportsNight rather than the introspective, issues-oriented approach of the West Wing. Still, it was nice to get a good look at Sarah Poulson, warming up in the on-deck circle to take over for Paula Marshall in the upcoming Cupid remake.

Oh, and the Lauren Graham moment from the episode "The Wrap Party?"  Probably one of my favorite television moments of the past ten years.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 12:19am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

didier

Yep, a movie with my name. It is a french movie from 1997. The story is about a dog, unusually named didier being taken care temporary by a soccer coach. At night, it becomes human ( but keeps its animal thinking and logic ). They were supposed to do an American remake of it. It never happened.

And here goes the little personal behind story. 

Back then, I left France to come to live in Hong Kong just right on time BEFORE the French release of the movie. It allowed me to avoid all those stupid jokes one could put on me.

Problem is, the movie got a distributor in Hong Kong ( very seldom ) and so, the theaters started to play the movie. It went quite successful here and of course, as there are much less French persons in HK, especially named Didier, the reference popped up. It usually went that way:

- Hi

- Hi

- My name is Didier

- Didier? ... like the dog in that French movie?

But the movie is funny. I even had the T-shirt of it for a while !

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just finished watching My Little Chickadee, with WC Fields and Mae West.  One of my favorite films, and always makes me laugh.  The scene where Fields recounts his fracas with Chicago Molly is one of the funniest scenes ever: when another bartender usurps Fields' claim of having knocked her down, Fields responds with "Yeah, well, I was the one that started kicking her ..."

Tim Gillespie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes last night. Personally, I preferred the brunette. Jane Russell - yow - now that's a woman.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Last Man Standing.

I'd never seen or even known about this movie until recently. And I love
Yojimbo and Fistful of Dollars, so this was a treat to discover. I had a lot of fun.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Robin Taylor -

I never saw this film, and am a big fan of the original book.

However, Gibson coming out as a big anti-Semitic loon has taken this away from me forever. Much as I will never be able to see his Hamlet again, and many others.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

John M -

Have you read Dashiell Hammett's "Red Harvest"? That's the original source for "Yojimbo", and like all of Hammett's work: pure gold.

I'm interested in seeing this movie, but just haven't gotten around to it. I wonder what Chad Carter thought of it...

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

John Bodin -

I showed Superman to my (then) 8 year old son a couple of years ago. The full version, with all of the deleted scenes. Right around the time of the helicopter rescue (where the network chops it in two when this long version originally played on TV) he started getting restless and wanting to tell totally off-topic jokes. We paused for a few minutes and then got back to the movie.

To this day he doesn't get what the big deal about this movie is.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

My & the Mrs saw "P.S. I Love You" last night. Like she said: "Two hours of crying."

Cute "chick flick," fun characters, and Hilary Swank, spending several scenes in bra/underwear or teddy, is definitely pleasing to the eyes. Gerard Butler, likewise, spends many scenes strutting his stuff, so I think everyone has something nice to look at.

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2009 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

My nieces love the recent crop of superhero movies (they're even fans of the Daredevil flick!?!), but when I sat them down to watch SUPERMAN, it was another matter entirely.

Ironically, they enjoyed the epic opening on Krypton, and seemed genuinely engrossed by the Smallville sequences. It was after Clark Kent becomes Superman that they began fidgeting, making multiple kitchen/bathroom breaks, asking how much longer until the movie was over, and finally just asking me to replace the DVD with something else.

They thought the Edward Norton INCREDIBLE HULK was the bees knee's.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I found four classic films on sale at Costco over the weekend for $5 a piece.  One of them was the two-disc special edition of ALL ABOUT EVE.  Never saw it before although I've heard a ton of great things about it.  Watched it last night.  Excellent script, one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.  Classic lines roll off the tongues of the splendid actors like candy.  It felt a little long at 2 hours and 18 minutes, but thinking about it when it was over I don't know what I would have cut.  Coming from the theatre, I've seen my fair share of the "Eve" actress and that's probably what I loved most about this movie.  It captured the backstage drama, cat fighting, and theatricality so well.  If you haven't seen this classic, I'd put it on your list.  Well worth it.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

What are the other three, Matt?

Five bucks! Excellent!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

ALL ABOUT EVE was paired with HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE for a total of $9.99.  Never heard of HUSH...HUSH, but I love Bette Davis and Olivia De Havilland and enjoy what I've seen of Robert Aldrich's work.  The other two films that were paired together for $9.99 are THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH and GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.  I've seen snippets of both, of course, but never either movie all the way through.  Looking forward to it!  I did some price checking on Amazon and if I had bought all four movies from them, it would have cost me over $50.  Costco?  $20.  Love me some Costco!!!

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Bette Davis, All About Eve, good choices Matt.  Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte was one of those movies that creeped me out as a kid.  You might also want to check out Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, another great Bette Davis flick from a couple of years before that with Ms. Joan Crawford in it also.  

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Day four of my battle against strep throat (off work the past two days), and today was the first day I felt good enough to actually watch TV or do anything.  With the wife and kids at school, I spent the morning watching Peter Jackson's 2005 remake of KING KONG, and then followed that up with the Vincent Price classic THE LAST MAN ON EARTH.

KING KONG was surprisingly well-done but suffered from poor editing -- I dozed off once without realizing it and had to rewind to catch what I'd missed; after re-watching the part I missed (Kong chasing the taxi), I fast-forwarded through the scenes I'd caught (the part where Ann Darrow is walking down the New York street towards Kong) and found it quite amazing that the scene looked as good at 4x speed (and perhaps BETTER) as it did at actual speed.  If that's not a sign that things could have been done more crisply, I don't know what is.

I had never seen THE LAST MAN ON EARTH before, but was surprised at how good it was.  The production values made it seem much like an extended "Twilight Zone" episode, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Now I need to re-watch THE OMEGA MAN along with Will Smith's recent I AM LEGEND for some points of comparison.

Edited by John Bodin on 03 February 2009 at 1:23pm

Gary S. Lee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2009 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

THE WAR ZONE the first directing effort of actor Tim Roth about a British
family with a major problem.

Very highly acclaimed, but a very unpleasant subject.

Well made, though.

G.

<< Prev Page of 396 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version