Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 396
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

From first whisper ROGUE ONE sounded like a really bad idea. Leia reduced to a simple messenger? Not the gutsy gal I saw in the original movie!
++++++++++++

She is literally sent on the errand to retrieve the stolen plans by her adopted father.

STAR WARS gave the impression that she was the brains behind the entire operation, sat out the battle proper so as to maintain her cover as a Senator, then received the transmissions and went to retrieve Kenobi on Tatooine.

ROGUE ONE has her sent on the errand, and Vader literally hacking her men to pieces outside the ship's airlock as they hand a data card (the same one she inserts into Artoo) from man to man. The ship barely launches, with Vader's ship ready to pursue, and then the data card is just handed to her. She is completely reduced to a passive messenger. With a CGI face.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The CG stuff strikes me as using the toys because we have the toys. I've seen some rather startling videos online, where real faces were attached convincingly to other bodies. With Disney's money and the troves of available footage, surely that would have been a better way to go!
Back to Top profile | search

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, Vol 2

Caught it via Netflix and all I can say is that while it was fun (and funny) in spots, I am very glad I didn't spend my hard-earned cash on a ticket at the movie theaters.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Coincidentally, CinemaSins just released their ROGUE ONE video:

I am again reminded of how annoyed I am that the Death Star's fatal flaw--which was NOT a plot hole in STAR WARS--has now been turned into a built-in act of sabotage. Sigh.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN (1956)

Lon Chaney Jr. plays a killer who is executed by the state - but returns when a doctor experimenting in cellular regeneration uses him as a "guinea pig". Chaney Jr's character comes back to life, kills the doctor and then goes on a rampage, made worse by the fact that he is now indestructible.

At 72 minutes, it doesn't outstay its welcome. Everyone treats the plot with much conviction which makes it all very credible. There's narration throughout by the lead detective, which also adds something to the film.

The DVD cost me a quid! I'd say that's a bargain. I enjoyed the film throughout.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Coincidentally, CinemaSins just released their ROGUE ONE video:

Well, that was painful -- and as close as I will ever get to watching the actual movie. (Hey! I watched TFA!! I've done my time!)

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"The CG stuff strikes me as using the toys because we have the toys. I've seen some rather startling videos online, where real faces were attached convincingly to other bodies. With Disney's money and the troves of available footage, surely that would have been a better way to go!"

That's basically what Disney did with Robert Downey Jr, Michael Douglas, and Kurt Russell - used their younger likenesses from previous movies to portray them in flashback scenes. Still CG but using real footage as a template instead of recreating from scratch. The effect was much more convincing. I was especially impressed by RDJR's young scene in CIVIL WAR.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

G.I. JOE THE MOVIE (1987)

A solid and enjoyable romp even if I have mixed feelings about some aspects.

G.I. Joe battle Cobra who have joined forces with Golobulus, the ruler of an ancient civilization. Cobra and Golobulus get their hands on a weapon called the Broadcast Energy Transmitter (B.E.T.). They plan to release mutative spores over the earth, causing every human being to devolve back to mindless beasts.

This is a well-told tale. And it has a great voice cast. Burgess Meredith voices Golobulus, Don Johnson voices the disinterested recruit Lt. Falcon, etc. It's far better than any of the episodes.

However, I have always had mixed feelings about one aspect of the G.I. Joe universe, namely Serpentor, the ruler of Cobra. 

The G.I. Joe comics/cartoons I enjoyed in my youth were a quasi-realistic military unit who engaged in missions that *could* have taken place in real world (one comic saw the team infiltrate Cobra HQ to plant a bug). Serpentor was a being that Cobra created by locating the DNA of Attila the Hun, Julius Caesar, Hannibal and Napoleon. Call it fantasy, call it sci-fi, I do feel that it *might* have been a mistake to go from a quasi-realistic military premise to one that involved a reptilian leader made up of the DNA of history's strategists.

I'll always have mixed feelings about that.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The inherent problem with the movie is the shift from comic booky/quasi-military to sci-fi/Lovecraftian. Being an easy mark for sci-fi/horror, it never bothered me, but I understand why so many fans felt betrayed by it.

That aside, it is indeed a well-told tale. It's all a giant retcon, but I greatly admire the guts it took to reveal that Cobra had unknowingly been a front for a Lovecraftian biomechanoid society. There was a specific narrative thrust that the writers were going for by introducing Serpentor (who was forced upon them by Hasbro). Golobulus manipulates Dr. Mindbender into creating Serpentor, and then we see Cobra shift more and more over that last season of the TV series from a quasi-military terrorist organization to a cult blindly devoted to their synthetic leader. To the point that Destro and the others eagerly side with Golobulus when the truth is revealed. Which chills me. Not only are they terrorists, but they've now betrayed basic humanity, itself.

The other element which really grabs me about the film is its treatment of Cobra Commander, who becomes shockingly sympathetic. He'd been portrayed as inept throughout the TV series, but he really becomes a pathetic figure, here. 

The film's biggest flaw, of course, is the shoehorned-in survival of Duke, which was an attempt to avoid another negative response like the one they'd already received for killing Optimus Prime in THE TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE. As a result, we have the unlikely medical scenario of a snake-javelin to the heart putting Duke into a coma. And some hasty ADR at the very end, proclaiming that's he's come out of the coma. 

The original version, with Duke dying from his injury, would have given the story (and Falcon's character arc) a lot more emotional weight.

Still weird to think that this film marked the end of the classic JOE cartoon era, unless you count the DIC follow-up series. That show did directly reference the events of this film (and restored Cobra Commander to human form), but its canonicity with the beloved Sunbow/Marvel series is still debatable.

Also, that opening title sequence is still spectacular, and easily the best-animated sequence in the entire Sunbow/JOE canon. And the theme song is still really catchy, in all of its 80s glory.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Greg, I did a topic about this, saved to my Google Docs. I won't derail this thread with a G.I. JOE comment (my fault!), but I'll go and find the document and we can hopefully talk there! :)

Edited by Robbie Parry on 13 December 2017 at 5:34pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 12:03am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1999)

Feels like sacrilege to describe any remake as better, but I much prefer this to the original.

Brosnan, Russo and Leary all play good roles, supported by a solid supporting cast.

And I love the scene in the gallery, to the track of "Sinnerman" by Nina Simone, as Crown and his associates outwit the cops.
--------------------------------------------------
Agreed on all counts.  I've revisited this several times since seeing it in the theater.  That gallery scene is also great.

The only flaw for me, if it can even be called that since it basically just gets a chuckle, is that this movie contains the most unrealistic sex scene of all time.  If the two of them had sex on marble steps, they would not be pulling off any capers any time soon.  At least not quickly.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

32 PILLS: MY SISTER'S SUICIDE (2017).

This documentary, currently running on HBO, hits disturbingly close to home, for me. I haven't known anyone who's committed suicide, but I've had intimate dealings with people suffering from mental illness/mood disorders. There is no greater horror than to watch someone you love struggling with any or all of these ailments.

Not an easy watch, but quite enthralling. And quite devastating.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

SCOOBY-DOO! LEGEND OF THE PHANTOSAUR (2011)

The Scooby Gang travel to a remote area (unspecified, but it looks like New Mexico). They end up investigating sightings of a phantom dinosaur.

Who is responsible? An eccentric scientist? Two palaeontologists? Two mining engineers? A biker gang? You'll have to watch to find out.

All good fun (as usual). Wonderful special effects. And plenty of red herrings. One of my favourite SCOOBY-DOO movies!

Edited by Robbie Parry on 14 December 2017 at 6:42am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The Hitman`s Bodyguard,i streamed this after liking the
trailer which promised a comedy action
caper,unfortunately all the decent stuff was in the
trailer leaving the rest of the film a boring mess that
not even Ryan Reynolds,Samuel L Jackson or the gorgeous
Salma Hayek could save.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

SCOOBY-DOO! MOON MONSTER MADNESS (2015)

The Scooby Gang win tickets to a space voyage organized by billionaire Sly Baron. Also along for the ride are various people including a pro football player, retired astronauts, an alien enthusiast and others.

When they are forced to land on the moon for repairs, an alien stalks them.

So who could be behind the alien? ;-)

Good fun, fantastic animation. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The Hitman`s Bodyguard,i streamed this after liking the trailer which promised a comedy action caper,unfortunately all the decent stuff was in the trailer leaving the rest of the film a boring mess that not even Ryan Reynolds,Samuel L Jackson or the gorgeous Salma Hayek could save.

My spider-sense tingled on that one when it seemed as if they had changed their posters to suggest more action than comedy.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 396
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version