Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 419
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2018 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In The Mouth of Madness(Collectors Edition Blu-ray) - My preorder came in the mail today, so I had to pop it in as the very old DVD I have doesn't even scale to the TV.  Very nice transfer, the movie looks great and there are at least 4 new extras as compared to none on the dvd(except for the trailer, which is on both).  No hi-def treatment for the trailer though, but a good rewatch tonight.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

36 HOURS (1963)

James Garner and Rod Taylor WW2 suspense thriller that I really want to be better than it is. Really two movies in one -- the taut psychological cat-and-mouse game of the first "half", which is unfortunately dragged down by the standard issue escape-and-pursuit of the second.

Some stock footage of the German countryside (which looks like it might have been borrowed from THE GREAT ESCAPE) sets up the rest of the film being shot most convincingly at Yosemite.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Rewatched MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE (1987).

I think it came at the wrong time. It tried to jump on the STAR WARS bandwagon a tad (it felt that way). There's the whole "New Gods" thing. And, technology-wise, they just weren't able to do justice to the likes of Battle Cat or Orko - so we had no Battle Cat whilst we got Gwildor rather than Orko.

Also, given the fascinating place that is Eternia, and all the directions they could have gone in, I am not sure it was wise to send He-Man to Earth for his first movie. Or do away with the Prince Adam identity (I liked the episodes where Adam struggled with balancing his royal duties and heroic career as He-Man).

Missed opportunity. And I can't believe that, 31 years later, we still haven't had another live-action shot at He-Man.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just finished watching Henry V (1989 version by Branagh) on Blu-Ray.

I first watched this in the early 90s, and I thought it was good back then. Fast forward 20 years, I started watching some of Olivier's version and started digging some of that more classical delivery (and going back to the text). So, I came to this with some scepticism about whether my initial conclusion was right. 

But, it won me over all over again. Grainy as hell; not quite as epic as I remember; muddy as ever; but it has a cast to die for and really hits its marks. There can be no better Chorus than Derek Jacobi (though they kind of sliced up the Chorus' intros), Ian Holm literally made me tear up as Fluellen at the end of the battle of Ajincourt, and Branagh and Emma Thompson clearly had a lot of chemistry going on back then for the final scene. 

Criticisms? I don't think the film really benefits in isolation from trying to draw in cutbacks to Falstaff and (surprisingly) I feel Robert Stephens was a little miscast. Robert Stephens was, for me, an incredible actor (an absolute fave, in fact), but he just had too much to give to be playing Pistol. And, I felt, was too old for the role. Great with the non-Hollywood teeth though. Great actor, wrong part for that stage of his career.

Also a shout out for the amazing Non Nobis Domine by Patrick Doyle. His score is a little intrusive at times (at least in comparison to the Olivier version, where the text and the delivery solely carries the emotion in the key speeches), but his music comes into a life of its own at the end of the Battle of Agincourt, and it is an amazing moment.

It made me laugh, it made me cry and it made my chest swell at times. Hard to ask for more, really. Maybe a French accent from Schofield? Too much? OK, fair enough. Great film.

Edited to correct a spelling mistake.

Edited by Peter Martin on 15 July 2018 at 6:34am

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2018 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It took me 20 years to finally see it, but:

LETHAL WEAPON 4 (1998)

Ridiculous and tiresome.  Once was enough--don't ever need to see this again for the rest of my life!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2018 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

ZARDOZ  (1974)

Tried it again after many moons.
Yep, still a hot mess.
A couple of things though, that outfit Connery was wearing reminded me of the original Killraven get up, whoa!
And I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Zardoz shrine set up in some back room at the NRA's home offices.

Pete York
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2018 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

DON'T LOOK NOW (1973) D: Nicolas Roeg
JUNGFRUKÄLLAN / THE VIRGIN SPRING (1960) D: Ingmar Bergman

Two masterpieces about parents (Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, Max von Sydow and Birgitta Valberg, all superb) losing children. The brilliant direction and editing in the Roeg creates a kind of puzzle that doesn't become clear and has you continuously on edge until the end (What the hell was that noise? What's with the Bishop? Why are the sisters laughing? Is this scene real?, etc.). And that ending is everything it's cracked up to be. 

The Bergman is extremely harrowing yet beautiful with its evocative medieval detail and Sven Nykqvist photography (IMDb 'trivia' claims the movie was inspired by RASHOMON, which is certainly believable). The remake by Wes Craven is moot, outside of being an exercise in endurance.      

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2018 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

LETHAL WEAPON 4 (1998)

Ridiculous and tiresome.  Once was enough--don't ever need to see this again for the rest of my life!

Yeah. The original is a classic. 2 was a pretty good follow-up. As with most sequels, though, they kinda have to "overwrite" the character arc from the first one...how do we make Riggs crazy again? So, they do, but also seemingly forgot he was an amazing shot. 3 isn't bad. Matching Rene Russo's Lorna up with Riggs was nice...and you would think, ah...Riggs has found love and happiness again and Murtaugh can finally retire. We can close the book. 

No. They went and did another one. 

I will give them credit for keeping a lot of originals behind and in front of the camera for the whole series. Richard Donner directs all four. Shane Black writes or co-writes. Same actor as the police Captain. Murtaugh's family all keep coming back. So, 4 did have a familiar (and familial) vibe...but it wasn't enough. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 17 July 2018 at 10:44am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2018 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Ouija (2014)

Actually builds some nice suspense in the first third, but ultimately it's pretty stupid, following a pretty well-worn formula. Also, it's twist doesn't really make a lot of sense; it goes out of its way to try and misrepresent things in order to trick you for that twist, but what it ends up with just doesn't really add up. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 July 2018 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

RAMPAGE (2018)

I liked it.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2018 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Atomic Blonde (2017), starring Charlize Theron, James McAvoy, John Goodman and Toby Jones. I purchased it at Walmart for $10, which is okay, but it is a watch once kind of movie.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 419
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version