Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 390
Topic: What disc did you have in last (and what did you think)? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've ordered a Ray Harryhausen Blu-ray set which features MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS and FIRST MEN IN THE MOON. It's a pre-order, in fact, the release date isn't until November 13th.

I have watched JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS, but not for many years. I do remember that skeleton scene (which surely beats any amount of CGI). Be interesting to see how the film holds up.

That film, along with many SINBAD films and CLASH OF THE TITANS, gave me nightmares as a kid! That bronze giant, Talos, in the JASON film, gives me the creeps whenever I see imagery of it. And so did various incarnations of minotaurs.

CGI just isn't the same. *Sighs*

Haven't seen MYSTERIOUS ISLAND or FIRST MEN IN THE MOON so I hope I enjoy them. There are many extras on the boxset. 
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Mysterious Island is very good! I was also scared by
Talos,I think it's the creaking metallic sound,it
reminded me of the sound an old metal bus stop sign made
in the wind when I was a kid,in bed at night,hearing that
sound fired my imagination!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Models are "real" - or at least more "real" than CGI. My sister brought a ventriloquist's dummy home (I was around 6) and it scared the shit out of me. Had the internet been around them, and she'd created a dummy via CGI for me to view on a screen, I doubt it would have scared me.

Anything with a physical presence scares me. Shit, I found the Hood (THUNDERBIRDS) to be scary. It may have been a voice actor giving him life, but he still was real as far as being a puppet.

So, yes, those skeletons, Talos and so many others really made an impression on me!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Hood`s eyes lighting up did scare me.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

POLTERGEIST (1982)

Another directed by Tobe Hooper.  Or is it Steven Spielberg.  Or both?

Regardless, an '80s horror favorite.  Back in the cable-TV heyday, it seems like I watched this one every single time it was on HBO.

Not without faults, but the score from Jerry Goldsmith does the trick, the actors are all wonderful, and for me, it features one of the single greatest pieces of dialogue in any horror film I've ever seen.  It's not the ghouls and special effects that always sells me on the film... it's this, that will forever give me goosebumps:

"Now, hold onto yourselves... there's one more thing.  A terrible presence is in there with her.  So much rage, so much betrayal--I've never sensed anything like it.  I don't know what hovers over this house, but it was strong enough to punch a hole into this world and take your daughter.  It keeps Carol Anne very close to it, and away from the spectral light.  It lies to her, it tells her things only a child could understand.  It has been using her to restrain the others.  

To her, it simply is another child.  To us, it is the Beast."

Edited by Shaun Barry on 17 October 2017 at 9:51pm

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just watched "I wake screaming" my first every Betty Grable movie. It's a great
noir film, I strongly recommend it.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Brides of Dracula (1960).

Good up to a point, though the heroine is bizarrely, inexplicaby stupid. She's fooled once by the vampire, fair enough. But then she agrees to get engaged with him later on, seemingly forgetting everything beforehand. Van Helsing is also a bit incompetent in places, letting the newly-minted vampires disappear each time.

It was only very near the end of the film, when Van Helsing brands himself on the neck, that I realised I'd seen this before, long enough ago to have virtually no memory of the rest of the film.

Hammer films are usually short and sweet and this is no different, but the climax seems really curtailed. Also, the title is a massive cheat!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Okay. I needed some light relief so I watched MICKEY'S ONCE UPON A CHRISTMAS (1999). Forgive me! ;-)

It's an anthology film. First tale is where Donald Duck's nephews wish on a star for Xmas to be every day. Wish granted! Be careful what you wish for. Xmas can become repetitive quickly.

Second tale features Goofy (just what sort of creature is he meant to be?) trying to convince his disbelieving son that Santa Claus does exist.

Third tale features Mickey and Minnie Mouse trying to make sure each other's Xmas goes well - but they learn something much more profound.

Good fun and with some side-splitting moments (Donald's nephews become so fed up with "Groundhog Xmas Day" that their third consecutive turkey dinner drives them mad!).

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Goofy is a dog, ostensibly. But then, so is Pluto, who doesn't (can't?) talk, and is definitely a pet, whereas Goofy is more a colleague of Mickey, Donald, etc.  Very odd.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As a kid, I assumed he was some sort of mule. I've not seen a dog like him in real life.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Goofy is a dog, ostensibly. But then, so is Pluto, who doesn't (can't?) talk, and is definitely a pet, whereas Goofy is more a colleague of Mickey, Donald, etc. Very odd.

More odd than humans keeping apes as pets?

Mickey is a mouse, yet in one Pluto cartoon he is a scientist experimenting on mice. Little, cute ones. Not grotesque giants whose females wear high-heels and lipstick.

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2017 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Moana" (2016)
When I saw this in the theater, I thought it was good, not great. Lately though, I've done repeated viewings to the point that songs are stuck in my head and I want a Hei-Hei of my own.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 October 2017 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I really wanted to like MOANA, but ten minutes in I realized it was yet another Disney movie whose lesson to girls everywhere is "Be sure to disobey your parents! That way you'll get what you want!"

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2017 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Goofy is a dog. His original name was Dippy the Dog.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2017 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Mickey is a mouse, yet in one Pluto cartoon he is a scientist experimenting on mice. Little, cute ones. Not grotesque giants whose females wear high-heels and lipstick.

Then there's this bit of grotesquerie...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 390
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version