Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Diminished Expectations (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

Back in the 1940's when the top titles all sold over a half million copies - the ancillary income was secondary, but still significant - there were serials at the movies, as well as toys and all other sorts of licensed products.

The companies that survived the comic book witch hunt of the 1950's were forced to be more resourceful.  You could still make money from the big names (we would see successful Superman and Batman shows in the Silver Age, but outside of those two heroes licensing wasn't as prevalent.

Marvel sold t-shirts, and started the MMMS in the mid-1960's, but things began to change in the late 1960's when cartoons using both Marvel and DC characters became common.

The 1970's brought more cartoon successes, and several attempts at live-action prime time shows with some shows enjoying a good measure of popularity (with the Hulk and Wonder Woman being the most obvious examples).

When the toy market started picking up, that's when licensing became a really important part of the company's economic outlook.  Some people even credit the toy market for some series such as 'Secret Wars' which was a financial bonanza.

But after a disastrous crash in the 1990's when speculators infested the industry, comics have begun bouncing back with the popularity of such movies as Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Iron Man and others leading movie companies to search hi and low for properties that might work as movies.

Will this continue?  Is it 'Fool's Gold'?  Well, the cyclical nature of the business leads me to believe it won't, and that the publishers need to fix their sales, distribution and editorial problems to get their books available to more new readers - the ever-aging market for today's comics will only continue to dwindle if the recruitment of potential new readers is ignored.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Simon Bowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

Any "increased profits" are mainly going to the writers and artists, and not the publishers. There are people working in the comic book industry in this current era who are commanding ridiculous, greedy page rates. I don't think the Marvel/DC "exclusivity contract war" of the past ten years has helped there at all because it pushed rates higher and higher in an attempt to outbid one another.

The sales figures are all relative. No reason not to be proud of a book selling 100,000 units in this day and age, just because in the past 500,000 units would be considered average. Trades were almost non-existant back then, and now they're selling pretty well - it's the exception rather than the rule, but sales on the Watchmen trade have been, and continue to be, phenominal for DC - even before the movie was mooted. Trades are opening up bookstores and online retailers like Amazon and Play.com as a potential audience.

However, I totally agree with Jodi. We need to get monthly comics back into local stores, at more affordable prices for kids. The Marvel Adventures books are a good example of what can be done, but they should be retailing at $1.95. Reduce the paper quality, make the colouring less sophisticated, even trim a couple of pages of story out - no law says it has to be 22 pages of story and art. Use new talent who are happy to work for lower page rates as a way of breaking in.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Don Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

I hear this comparison, but I hae a difficult time believing that any organization would care more about gross revenue over net revenue as an indicator, esecially in light of the more competitive marketplace children face for their shrinking economic value.

For the other parents out there, what does your child earn in allowance? My 7 year old can earn up to $7 per week. He has to save $2 per week, so that leaves him with $5.  Now, he could go buy 1 comic book and have some money left over. Or, he could spend/save the money on other things.  Right now, he has his eyes set on a lego set and a game for the Wii.

How can comic companies really expect to compete for that market at current prices?

Back to Top profile | search

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

theres an intersting piece on comic sales here http://enterthestory.com/comic_sales.html
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

There are people working in the comic book industry in this current era who
are commanding ridiculous, greedy page rates.

••

I'd be very interested to read your definition of "ridiculous (and) greedy".

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks for the link Gerry - interesting that Marvel's sales peaked right around the time their distribution with National/DC ended in 1968.  Then they started putting out more and more titles - with arguably lesser quality.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

I know it won't ever be like the good ol' days when we were kids, but I think comics should be inexpensive enough to be a painless impulse buy. You could walk into 7/11 and get a comic for the same price as a Snickers candy bar. Heck, you get 2 or 3 of them without really feeling much of a pinch. I can't think of any convenient place where a 7 or 8 year old can just happen by a stack of comics, they have to seek them out, and that along with the increased prices eliminates so much of the impulse buys of years past. I can't tell you the last time I saw a kid under sixteen looking though comics at the LCS.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB has been pointing out that the rise of the direct sales market had a lot to do with the decline in comics readership.  As Steve pointed out, not every kid is going to have a comic shop within easy distance of his house.  I even remember when the market started closing up; I was wanting to ride up to town to see what all the hubbub was about this as a 13-year old boy but my mother wasn't going to have any of it.  Now you have at least three of them in the area that I live at but you could count on one hand the number of kids visiting at any time.  It seems that, as more and more LCS show up, there are now other forms of entertainment competing with the medium and the pricing and apparent target audience has shifted away from the kids who'd have been hooked on it.

Dan Burke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

Supply and demand will meet at the equilibrium.

Those who want to read comics desired better paoer, better color, etc. These came at a cost that actual comic readers were willing to pay. These higher prices drove casual, disengaged readers away.

It does make sense, in theory, to make more (not the same, MORE) on fewer items moved. This is what they teach you in business school. Move 10 items for $1000 each is better than $10,000 at $1.

As a business theory, it works. Somewhere along the line (maybe when Warner Brothers and/or New Line Cineman got involved) comics became a full fledged business as opposed to the distant cousin of artists, as it had been.

These businessmen quickly inserted into comic production everything they learned in business school. Promotion became more important than content.

They are making more money than ever, so I can only suppose they dwindling circulation numbers don't mean too much to them.

Which is to the detriment for those who view comics as a mode of expression, not of business.

Basically, the businessmen did to comics what they did to movies, other publishing, banking, lending, carmanufacturing, etc... warped it to the point where it is barely recognizable from its original intent and incarnation.

And those involved in the industry were too unsophisitcated (in business) to stop it. Or they saw it happening, and didn't want to say anything because cashing those big checks was so much fun.

See? for comics to go back to the "way they were" it would mean EVERYTHING goes back, including wages and treatment of talent, not just the things we don't like. Can't have our cake and eat it too, unfortunately.

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

I know next to nothing about the comic book industry, but for some reason I
am compelled to agree with Dan's post. It may not define the whole
problem, but it sure sounds about right (and not just for comics, as he's
stated).

Dan Burke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

I was pondering what I wrote above while watching the game, and thought of this. Maybe it relates, maybe not.

A lot of readers felt "betrayed" the industry when it decided to cater to speculators and the demands of big business. I have a theory that once you betray your readers, not only will a lot of them leave, but new ones will not come.

TV shows are like this. When a TV show goes down a bad path or a storyline that is not popular, and it loses viewers, it usually can't survive. The network doesn't advertise a new writer or new direction, the viewers are gone, they are not coming back and the network knows it.

There was a show called "The O.C." that was insanely popular for about 2 years, but went down an unpopular road and lost its fans. The show is not saveable. It is cancelled. The creator goes on to work on the tv version of Gossip Girl, essentially the same show about poor kids in a rich kid's world, and it is insanely popular. But the OC characters are dead, and nothing can change that.

Maybe I am stretching with the comparison, but its just something that crossed my mind. So many were put off by the industry in the late 80's and 90's, they will never come back, and their kids probably won't either...

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2009 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

What do the marketing departments of the comic book publishers do all day besides talk to Diamond?  You would think they would be working on selling their product via different channels (i.e. supermarkets and drug stores).

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version