Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Drawing races without racism (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 3:57am | IP Logged | 1  

This comes from an interesting question that JB asked on the Star Trek forum.

To my eyes JB has long been good at portraying races without falling into either of the three traps most fall into; descending into an insulting caricature; idealizing those races and making them god like in their beauty (and thus uninteresting): or worst of all; drawing a white face and painting it a different color. 

But then I'm a white guy, and I could be missing something.

I'm working on some comic strips and due to the constraints of the type of art I'm using I ran into a problem along these lines when I decided a character was going to be Chinese: No matter what I did I couldn't make him look Chinese without it looking like a racist caricature, and if I downplayed those elements that lead to that problem he no longer looked even vaguely Chinese. I'm still working on it and hope to get something soon but it's a struggle and I wonder if some cartoonists shy away from non-white characters out of a worry that they'll get it very wrong and look like racists? Maybe it's safer to stick to an all white background for those artists? I did manage to work up a black character that I thought worked in black and white without making the mistakes, but again it occurs to me that I don't really know if I made those mistakes because I'm not black and might not have the sensitivity needed to see the problem.

This is the face:

Obviously it's not as good as the Boondocks characters, but I hope it works and I also hope it's not insulting to anyone.

Also, not nearly as cool as Wallace's avatar, which I think hits all of the buttons and makes none of the mistakes while still being simple and easily repeatable.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 2  

I think if you're worried about drawings of non-white "racial" groups coming out like a caricature, the best thing to do is start with working off photographs, trying to draw (without tracing) some easily recognizable black or asian etc. actors or celebrities the way you would any white actor. Look for the things that make that one face unique rather than the things that make the face "black", "chinese" or whatever.  Don't worry about ethnicity, just relax and try to capture that one person's likeness the best you can. With some practice, on a variety of faces, you'll find a way to make it work for you.

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 3  

The problem is not about Chinese characters, wheter it's a charicature or not. It's wheter it's a charicture done by white people, in an old style invented by racists being afraid of the "yellow danger" as we called it in Europe. This charicture "style" had the eyes slanted inwards. Compare it with the second picture, not a racist picture, where the eyes lower parts are horizontal (but the girls head is tilted).

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 4  

Yesterday the mailman delivered from Amazon the first hardcover collection of CREEPY, Jim Warren's venerated horror mag. One of the stories is about a Great White Hunter who is in Africa looking to bag himself a werewolf-like creature of local legend. It's drawn by Frank Frazetta, and the first thing that struck me as I looked at the pages was how close -- by modern standards dangerously close -- Frazetta skirted to cartoonish caricatures for the native, Black people. What saved it, tho, was the the White characters were equally cartoonish. Frazetta wasn't singling our the Black people for special treatment, he drew everybody that way.

Over the years, I have noticed that cries of "racism!" can often (tho, sadly, not always) spring from people focusing a little too tightly on what they want to be offended by. Consider Chop-Chop in BLACKHAWK. As originally portrayed, he had a buck-toothed bowling ball for a head, with a long queue and eyes that were never more than slits (not unlike the image at left, above). Pretty racist stuff -- and yet, was it any more of an exaggeration than the roly-poly Hendrichson, the lantern-jawed Olaf, the mustachioed Pierre? All the characters were cut from the same stereotypical cloth prevalent at the time. It was a greater concern, in fact, that Chop-Chop was not an equal member of the team, and always rode in the back of Blackhawk's plane. That was where the racism snuck in.

Marvel began breaking down some of the walls in the early Sixites. Stan and Jack integrated the American Army almost a decade early by including Gabe Jones as a member of the Howling Commandoes -- but there was a degree of caution. Gabe was not drawn with pronounced "Black" features, and was colored gray!* DC allowed Black characters into their Romance titles, a bold move, but for the most part still a cautious one. They were drawn as White people, and simply colored brown.

There is the problem, too, that comicbooks, speaking as they do in shorthand, tend also to speak in cliché. The Black Panther was a great stride forward, in terms of the portrayal of Blacks in comics, but he nevertheless came saddled with the conventions of every jungle adventure movie Jack Kirby had seen growing up. Luke Cage invoked a more modern stereotype, but a stereotype it still was. Still, they were a long, long, long way from Ebony, in THE SPIRIT! As Shang Chi was a long way from the Yellow Claw (tho not as far as he could have been, given the inclusion of the Yellow Claw prototype, Fu Manchu). Wyatt Wingfoot was a long way from the stoic, stilted-English-speaking Tonto, but he was still his own kind of stereotype.

In the end, when it comes to portraying races and ethnicities other than my own, I have applied the same rule I apply when portraying women: think of them first and foremost as people.

*In the first issue, he was given the same skin color as the other Howlers.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 5  

I think JB's post covers most of the ground and more eloquently and in-depth than I'd have gone.  But I'll add one thing apropos of it, Steve, as a thought on your specific issue.  Given that your style IS very shorthand cartoony approach rather than detailed realistic one,  I'd say that visual shorthand or cues wouldn't be out of order.  Especially not if it's important for you to show a variety of ethnicities.  Use the visual stereotypes if they help you (within reason, of course), and focus your worrying instead on how you portray them as characters within the story. As JB points out the racism more often lies at the elements which tries to evaluate the characters because of race.  That is, to my mind it's less of a problem if the marker Asian within your style would be yellow and slightly slanted eyes to trigger that understanding, than if you would draw someone fully realistically, in JB fashion of capturing race visually, and then have the storytelling/text/context treat the fact that the character is Asian (or Chinese as you said) as a shorthand for him/her being unintelligent or less sophisticated or whatever racist value stereotype we want to insert.

Just my penny!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 6  

In the end, when it comes to portraying races and ethnicities other than my own, I have applied the same rule I apply when portraying women: think of them first and foremost as people.

------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------

Not only is that a great tip for drawing it is how we should live our lives in regards to other races/ethnicities.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 7  

JB and another favorite cartoonist of mine - Alison Bechdel- come to mind when it comes to drawing race.  They both draw African-American characters so that you wouldn't NEED to color them in to figure it out.  Bechdel draws mainly in B&W and didn't want to settle for the slanted lines black characters often got as the only indication of their race, like Franklin in Charlie Brown.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 8  

The funniest thing (or perhaps saddest, depending upon one's perspective) I've ever seen is how the person of Jesus is illustrated in children's Sunday School material.  Typically he's illustrated as a white male for churches that are predominantly caucasian.  I've also seen illustrations of a black male Jesus in Afro-American Sunday school material.  Now all this time I thought Jesus would have brown skin (due to living in Israel and the Mediterranean).  But what do I know?  ;-)

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 9  

Dan,

Even odder, is that not only is Jesus portrayed as a white male in most western churches, he is often shown to have light brown/blond hair and sparkly light blue eyes to boot. 

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 10  

Guffawing out loud, Marc!  Thanks!  :-)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 11  

In NEXT MEN I had Jack discover religion, and imagine the arrest and death of Jesus. I received all kinds of positive mail, complimenting me for portraying Jesus as Black -- altho unfortunately the people complimenting me apparently missed the point that Jack was "casting" the story from people he knew (Control as Pontius Pilate, for instance), and the Black Jesus was the Black minister who had introduced Jack to the Bible.

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 23 May 2009 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 12  

altho unfortunately the people complimenting me apparently missed the point

Maybe they thought your black Jesus had been hanging out with the Essene community and was just a little darker due to the rigors of ascetic life?

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version