Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Recent Neal Adams Green Lantern New York Comic Con Ad (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 1  

the whole is greater than the sum of its
parts.

I'll certainly agree with that. (<---completely sincere. To use an old cliché, Adams has forgotten more about art & design then I'll likely ever know)

On a side note - this piece does remind me of a common reason I admire Adams, Byrne, and JRJr. so much. Black people who look like black people, and not white people with brown skin.

edit: a friend informed me my initial comment sounded kind of snarky - not my intent at all.

Edited by CJ Grebb on 09 June 2009 at 10:49am
Back to Top profile | search

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 2  

Hey, when did they decide to let (make?) Kyle wear a REAL Green Lantern uniform?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 3  

What was the last regular work on comics Mr Adams did?

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Hey, when did they decide to let (make?) Kyle wear a REAL Green Lantern uniform?

Those outfits don't really scream "uniform" to me - unless each character depicted is a different rank. Even the Green Lantern emblem is different on each character.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

A battle I have been fighting and losing since my fan days is trying to get people to understand the difference between "costume" and "uniform". The FF wear uniforms. In their school days, the X-Men wore uniforms. The Doom Patrol used to wear uniforms (and did again during my tenure). And, of course, the Green Lantern Corps wear uniforms. Might make for confusion in crowd scenes -- but that's a very good reason to avoid crowd scenes.

(I maintain, too, that Captain America wears a uniform, not a costume, even tho there is only one of him!)

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

A logical enough position to maintain, JB, given that Steve Rogers was intended to be the first of an army of super-soldiers, a plan negated by a cowardly Nazi spy's murder of Dr. Erskine.

Has anyone ever done a What If in which Steve managed to foil Erskine's assasination, and the creation of that army of super-soldiers was successfully accomplished?  In the right hands [JB's (hint-hint) and Roger Stern's] that might be a hell of a story (and not a hellish mini-series).

That should be a high priority when JB takes over M****l, er, I mean, if...

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

How much of what Adams produces these days is his as opposed to his studio?  Does he still do the full work himself?  I thought some of the above looked "off"...would that be a possible reason why?

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

Neal Adams recently "drew" a story in DC's (Vertigo) House of Mystery title (#13 I believe).  IIRC, I don't have the issue in front of me to verify, his son was also credited.  So while the art looked Adams-esque, you could tell he didn't draw the majority of it.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

So while the art looked Adams-esque, you could tell he didn't draw the majority of it.

Even going back to the seventies, Adams frequently did work with a committee of apprentices and faux Adams-ites ("The Crusty Bunkers") that was probably more the latter than Adams.  In the eighties and nineties his Continuity Comics seemed to operate much the same way. 

The last issue I can recall that I think Adams did himself (??) might be that Twilight Zone comic he did that Harlan Ellison wrote, which goes back at least to the early or mid-90s.  Certainly he's done other things since, but I'm not sure any of it was pure unadulterated Adams.  I know his website used to have a pretty comprehensive list of what he's done... might be a place to seek out if you're interested in tracking down his output. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2009 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

It is true that he seems to have used uncredited assistants on a great deal of his 80's and 90's work.  I remember buying Skateman #1 in 1983.  Either that was pencilled primarily by assistants or Adams drew it with his left hand, I'm not sure which.  But I doubt he has used assistants on any of his recent covers or  the GL piece above.  It looks pretty consistent with the other recent work I've seen by him... his style has changed a bit since the 70's.  

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 09 June 2009 at 6:24pm

Michael Lee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2009 at 3:37am | IP Logged | 11  

I'm not up to speed with current GL lore. Is there a story
reason why Kyle's emblem is filled in with black while the
rest are not?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2009 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 12  

Just curious which character does everyone think Neal Adams draws best?  Mine would have to be Tarzan.  He is so good with human anatomy.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version