Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: John Ostrander Benefit Auction! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've noticed that some of my comments on the internet don't translate as well as if I had done them in person.  Nature of the beast I suppose.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gail Lynn Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Your paying for your groceries and the cashier asks if you'd like to donate to such and such. You have people standing in line behind you so you feel guilty not donating."

Creepy.  I posted this kind of message on several creator message boards and this is the only one that saw something untoward in it.

"

Posting is not a problem. Asking if it's a problem, in an open Forum, as you post without awaiting a response, is. Especially when you have my email.

I have no problem at all with this thread being here -- but suppose I did? How would you have unrung that bell, Gail?"

Well, by asking you delete a completely harmless thread that isn't in the least bit ABOUT you OR me, John.  This post wasn't intended to shame or embarrass anyone, it was intended to be a bit of joyful news, and to make people aware of a situation they might not have seen elsewhere.

If in a million years I thought anyone would respond like this, which didn't even occur to me and still strikes me as completely absurd, I would never have posted here.  I would certainly hope, if we ever needed to do something like this for you, John, heaven forbid,  that other message board owners would graciously allow us to post about it on their message boards.  Which I'm absolutely sure they would be, as that has uniformly been the case in every other place I've posted these messages.

I really have nothing I feel I have to 'unring.'  We are trying to do something good for a fellow creator. That is the only thing that is important.

Please do me a favor and delete it now.   I am certain John would not want posts about this benefit to appear where they are unwanted or somehow controversial.
Back to Top profile | search

Peyton Holden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

Hey, everyone relax.  This is for a (more than) good cause.

Please don't stop posting here, Gail.  We may be a bunch of old sticks in the mud, but, for the most part, we (including our host) are good people who love comics!

In his defense, Mr. Byrne has been forced to take a hard line stance on what is posted here.  Before this site was created, we literally could not discuss comics, or anything else for that matter, because of immature trolls and, well, assholes.

You, of course are neither.  I cannot speak for Mr. Byrne, but I'm sure you and your posts are welcome here.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm glad they are auctioning some of this stuff online instead of just at the convention.  I don't think the silent auction at the New York show earlier in the year went well.  Many of the pieces were only getting one or two bids and some didn't get any at all.

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

<I really have nothing I feel I have to 'unring.'  We are trying to do something good for a fellow creator. That is the only thing that is important.

Please do me a favor and delete it now.   I am certain John would not want posts about this benefit to appear where they are unwanted or somehow controversial.<

for the sake of what IS the important thing, it seems like taking a step back and letting the thread stay would be the thing to do.  Ultimately I think the only problem has been procedure and not content, after all.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

I have no intention or desire to delete this thread. (Imagine the fun the trolls would have with that!) Nor shall I.

The tiniest amount of common courtesy could have avoided this. Gail emailed to ask my "permission" to use Silver Banshee in SECRET SIX. Completely unnecessary, since DC owns Silver Banshee, not I. A similar email would have been appreciated, yet in something vastly more important, Gail chose this passive aggressive approach -- something that even a moment's thought would have told her could do nothing but feed the trolls. Note the first response in this thread.

Help John Ostrander if and in any way you can. It is a worthy cause.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

This will definitely become more fodder for the no-lifes on certain other forums.

They are just waiting to pounce on something like this & they will hem & haw & blow it WAY out of proportion...as usual.

Yet another "JB was mean to me" story that is, in fact, nothing of the kind.

How many will ignore the fact that JB has no problem with the charity?

-----
That said, I hope enough is raised to help this cause.

Edited by Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. on 08 August 2009 at 5:16pm

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

IMO, which matters for absolutely nothing but reading the kinds of things that were posted up-thread just pisses me off, whoever Ted Parker is should have kept his mouth shut in the first place, since the first line of Gail's post was directed to JB, so Mr. Parker broke one of the cardinal rules of this board himself with his little 'oh boy'. Secondly, I believe it might have been better if JB followed his own advice and maybe emailed Gail with a "I wish you'd asked me first before posting" instead of the sarcastic, and inflammatory to the more anal members, on board reply of "Mind if I smoke?" he asked as he lit up." As I said, an unsolicited opinion, but it just irks me sometimes at the outright childishness that can erupt so quickly, and especially in this case of someone just trying to do something good and making an honest mistake.

Edited by Mike Baswell on 08 August 2009 at 5:22pm

Gail Lynn Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

Anyone who knows me knows I don't do 'passive aggressive,'  John.

I posted for the reasons I said I did, nothing more. I wish I hadn't.  And every message board has trolls. They are completely unimportant. Big deal. I apologize for any inconvenience caused, but as I said, I find this reaction utterly baffling and not in line with my experience at any other board. But my reaction isn't particularly important in this matter.

If the thread is staying up, I repeat the only important part of this thread.  A great creator could use some help from anyone who is willing and capable of doing so.

All the information needed is at comix4sight.com .  The live auction will be broadcast on the internet live, all information about that is at the bottom of that website. After that, there will be an online auction, and donations of cash and other items will be gladly accepted.  A lot of people have worked very hard to make this happen for John and that is what matters.

My thanks to you all and good night.

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

reply deleted due to not being addressed to the open forum

Edited by Troy Nunis on 08 August 2009 at 6:00pm

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Keep the thread. Delete the offending posts since they're irrelevant.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

We need a public health care system for everyone. Though unfortunate, at least Mr. Ostrander has a large professional and fan community to help him. Same cannot be said for the millions of nameless, anonymous, helpless people. 

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version