Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: John Ostrander Benefit Auction! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 1  

John, I hope it's cool to post this here!

Basically, industry legend John Ostrander is struggling with glaucoma, a problem he's had for 30 years, and it's gotten worse. Two surgeries have helped, but it looks like one, or possibly two more are are in order. John has expensive insurance, but it doesn't cover the entire cost of the procedure or any of the related expenses and follow-up. He needs help.

Adriane Nash and Mike Gold have started a website, comix4sight.com , to make people aware of this situation. They're having a huge auction at the Chicago Comicon, with the gracious help of Wizard Entertainment, tonight, Saturday the eighth.  I have helped collect art and donations, and the response from the industry has been so amazing that they can't possibly auction off all the great pieces we have collected, so starting next week, people will be able to bid on this amazing stuff online, which is pretty damn cool.

If you have a couple bucks to spare, this is a great cause for a great writer, and every dime over John's expenses will go directly to the Hero Initiative, to help other creators who need a temporary helping hand.  John has been overwhelmed and humbled by the number of pros and readers and collectors who have helped in this benefit, and it's going to help a great writer keep his eyesight. What could be better?

Just a quick bit partial rundown of the items that we have received:

Yeah, wow, we're going to do a full list to thank everyone, but it's just insane. People who donated art or money include, David Mack, Sergio Aragones, Brian Bendis, Stan Sakai, Neil Gaiman, Geoff Johns, Bob Wayne, David Lloyd, Joe Quesada, Eric Jones, Jim Lee, J. Scott Campbell, Art Adams, Dan Jurgens, Mark Wheatley, Jeff Smith, Terry Moore, Stephane Roux, Chris Batista, Eric Canete, Colleen Coover, Terry Dodson, Aaron Lopresti, Alvin Lee, UDON Studios, David Hahn, Steve Lieber, Phil Hester, Billy Tucci, Roger Langridge, Rob Liefeld, Rags Morales, Matt Wagner, Talent Caldwell, Paul Chadwick, Ron Randall, Scott Shaw, Neal Adams, Joe Prado, Tim Truman, John Layman and Rob Guillory, Phillip Tan, Bernard Chang, Val Semeiks, Kevin Smith, Francis Manapul, Bill Morrison, Dustin Weaver, Matt Groening, Batton Lash, Tone Rodriguez, Agnes Garbowska, Chris Schweizer, Thom Zhaler, Laurie B., Nicola Scott, Jamal Igle, Chris Burnham, Phil Noto,  Josh Adams, the Kubert family, Marc Hempel, Boom Studios, Mark Waid, Bo Hampton, Norm Breyfogle,  Mike Vosburg, Scott Morse, James Owen (who has, in his ENTIRE CAREER had less than two dozen pieces of his original art put up for sale or donation, making this CRAZY rare), Marv Wolfman, Christos Gage, Lin Workman, and more.

With pieces donated by collectors featuring Dan DeCarlo, Bruce Timm, George Perez, Alex Nino, Howard Chaykin, Joe Staton, Dave McKean, Dave Sim and many others.

And if you can believe it, there's still more coming!

We're not going to be able to auction all of this wonderful wonderful stuff at one event, so there's going to be an online auction and a lot of people are going to get a chance at some of this once-in-a-lifetime stuff. I'm pretty excited!

Not to mention that cash donations have already topped 14k!

Holy crap, I love this industry!

I hope you'll take a quick look at comix4sight.com and give a thought to donating what you can. We are still accepting donations, both cash and other auctionable items. Please help if you can, you'll be glad you did!
Back to Top profile | search

Ted Parker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 2  

Oboy. 

Gail Lynn Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 3  

What, is this against the board rules or something?

Did I err?

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 4  

I already donated. I hope everything given and all the
money collected is enough to help John Ostrander get the
care he needs.

And the comic industry is full of people with big hearts.

Edited by Eric White on 08 August 2009 at 11:39am

Ted Parker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 5  

I noticed someone's not on that list and you've kinda painted him in a corner now is all. I'm sure its unintentional but its very similar to soliciting at grocery tills. Your paying for your groceries and the cashier asks if you'd like to donate to such and such. You have people standing in line behind you so you feel guilty not donating.

Gail Lynn Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 6  

What?

That wasn't my intention at ALL.  And I don't know everyone who donated, John could well have already donated cash or art.  Many people I contacted donated quietly directly to the website so I have no complete list of either art or cash donations. 

I'm not trying to 'put anyone in a corner,' I'm just trying to get the word out.  John's made PLENTY of donations to worthy causes in the past. I just posted here because

1) It's a board where I haven't posted about this yet and I'm trying to get the word out, and

2) I know John O. and John B. worked together in the past and I figured John B. would be perfectly okay with it.

That's ALL.

Gail Lynn Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 7  

"I already donated. I hope everything given and all the
money collected is enough to help John Ostrander get the
care he needs.

And the comic industry is full of people with big hearts."

It really is. In the whole of SDCC and everyone I approached, nearly every single person I talked to donated. 

It's a GOOD story.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 8  

Ted, Gail did state that there were many other  people that weren't mentioned.

This is a great cause. Thanks, Gail for posting about it.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

John, I hope it's cool to post this here!

••

"Mind if I smoke?" he asked as he lit up.

Gail Lynn Simone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

Sheesh, honestly, if it's not okay to post this here, please just delete the thread.  All I'm trying to do is spread the word of a good cause.There's nothing sneaky about it and I certainly didn't feel it was presumptuous. I haven't run into this stuff at any other board I've posted this at, frankly.

The word is out elsewhere. If there's a problem here for some reason I don't understand, please delete the thread entirely.

Edited by Gail Lynn Simone on 08 August 2009 at 1:10pm

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 11  

Your paying for your groceries and the cashier asks if you'd like to donate to such and such. You have people standing in line behind you so you feel guilty not donating.

I never make donations unless I really feel like it. And I never feel guilty.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 August 2009 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

Sheesh, honestly, if it's not okay to post this here, please just delete the thread. All I'm trying to do is spread the word of a good cause.There's nothing sneaky about it and I certainly didn't feel it was presumptuous. I haven't run into this stuff at any other board I've posted this at, frankly.

••

Posting is not a problem. Asking if it's a problem, in an open Forum, as you post without awaiting a response, is. Especially when you have my email.

I have no problem at all with this thread being here -- but suppose I did? How would you have unrung that bell, Gail?

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version