Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

In a Brazilian newspaper online the article lead was:

"Disney to buy Marvel - Let´s hope they don´t tone down the violence".  
Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

Disney characters are returning to the comic stands in Sept (I believe). They will be published by Boom! Studios.

http://texcap.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/boom-studios-confirms -disney-license/

From Newsarama:

Richie said that Boom’s immediate plan for the license is to start telling new stories, much like they have done with The Incredibles, Cars,The Muppets and others. `The Gemstone material that was being printedmost recently are some of the greatest comics in the world – you’retalking about Carl Barks and Don Rosa and all these incrediblecreators, but what we’re going to be doing is branching off and goingin a completely different direction,` Richie told Newsarama. `We’regoing to start to approach the Mickey and Donald material from acompletely different direction, and we’re going to try to havesomething that at the same time is less the ‘greatest hits’ reprintsand more dovetails into what the Boom Kids stuff is, which is sort ofan add to and extension of, modern presence creative take on theseclassic characters that I think can connect with kids today.`

That said, Richie added that the rights to publish the classicDisney Comics material is included in Boom’s license, and the publisherhas plans for it. “We will be handling the classic material,` Richiesaid, declining to go into detail at this time. `We’re not going toabandon the fans that are buying that material, so we will haveprograms and products for them.`

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

OK reading this thread is sort of like being on a roller coaster ride. My son just got an internship with Marvel in NY, we drive him out there this weekend. He has dreamed of working for Marvel since he was a little guy. I have been beyond happy for him just at getting his foot in the door to a company that has brought so much joy to his life. I hope Marvel Publishing stays around, I hope the fact Nathan and Mr Byrne mutually respect each other, helps get Mr Byrne back into Marvel and I hope this company stays in business. 

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 31 August 2009 at 1:21pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

Watching the news conference it just seems a simple case of Disney looking for "Hannah Montana" for boys.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 5  

"Watching the news conference it just seems a simple case of Disney looking for "Hannah Montana" for boys."

Did they even mention comics publication?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

Watching the news conference it just seems a simple case of Disney looking for "Hannah Montana" for boys.

••

I wonder if Disney is really aware of what percentage of those "boys" are on the (very) high side of 30!

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 7  

Jodi: I hope the fact Nathan and Mr Byrne mutually respect each other, helpsget Mr Byrne back into Marvel and I hope this company stays inbusiness.

------

I honestly have no say over any of that, Jodi! I'm a director for the animation division -- the mouse is a big company!

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

This could get interesting.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think this really and truly sucks. 

Marvel had *just* established its own identity as a movie studio, producing movies itself that retained the Marvel character sufficiently that they could be both commercial and watchable to comic fans. 

Ugh! 

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

I wonder how many of these superannuated boys will remain Marvel readers once they realize that they are, actually, reading Disney Comics.

Guess it depends on whether the Disney brand will appear on the books. I haven't noticed Time Warner on DC.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

This page has a video interview with Disney's Bob Iger:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/mark et-dispatches.aspx?post=1241188&GT1=33002

Edited by Matt Hawes on 31 August 2009 at 2:44pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 12  

So Disney now owns John Byrne?  (referring to a previous thread which asked if Marvel owns John Byrne because JB's likeness has appeared in Marvel books)

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version