Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 43 Next >>
Topic: Disney to buy Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 1  

Of course not Pedro.

But it still may be their interest to keep the publishing wing alive, what would the public think if they did close what is historicaly the craddle of those character?

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 31 August 2009 at 10:32am
Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 2  

I had not heard about this!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 3  

Pedro Bouca wrote:
Disney once bought out its comics producing licensor, Gladstone Comics, to try and publish comics themselves. It was a disaster and quickly went under.

You keep mentioning companies bought by Disney that don't come within spitting distance, let alone miles, of Marvel.  Gladstone?  CrossGen?  Seriously?  Neither of those companies has 1/100 of the history as Marvel where publication is concerned.  Sorry, but I can't see either of those two being a 1:1 with Marvel where comic books are concerned.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 4  

••

Time to put in for that EiC job, Nathan!

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 5  

"Plus, they save money by keeping it in house rather than farming it out to a different publisher."

No they SPEND money!

See, to produce comics, you've got to pay the creators involved, pay for the editorial infrastructure, pay for printing, pay the distribution fees and only after all that investment you'll see the profit (if any).

Licensing the production they will see the money up front (licensing fee) and probably still make money with the royalties if the book is sucessful. All profit, not a single dime spent.

If comics publishing was a HUGELY sucessful venue, like it is in Europe and Japan, they might do it themselves (they do so in Italy, for example). Currently? With sales falling every month except for the occasional short term stunts AND in the midst of a world economic crisis?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Bryant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 6  

Pedro Bouca: "Disney once bought out its comics producing licensor, Gladstone Comics,to try and publish comics themselves. It was a disaster and quicklywent under...This time, I don't think they will be willing to spend money to get the same results."

Disney has already jumped back into the comics publishing pool with their imprint, Kingdom Comics. The first release is targeted for 3rd quarter, 2010.

I wonder if this means that creators producing books for Kingdom will see their releases under a Marvel imprint when all is said and done? It happened with the Dabel Brothers books (Sorcerer's Apprentice, etc) when Marvel acquired Dabel Productions.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 7  

Pedro, I'll believe it when I see it.  As it stands, however, I just don't see using two publishers bought by Disney, one of which was all but dead in the water, as evidence that they'll shut down the comic division of Marvel and farm it out to someone else. 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 8  

••

JB: Time to put in for that EiC job, Nathan!

-------

...just got to my emails today -- there was a message about it. Exciting times!

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 9  

"But it still may be their interest to keep the publishing wing alive,what would the public think if they did close what is historicalythe craddle of those character?"

They didn't care about the bad publisity they got by effectively stealing the rights from the Winnie the Pooh licensing (which makes A LOT more money than Marvel comics publishing), will they care about that?

We are talking a real voracious megacorporation here, folks. Marvel is peanuts compared to Disney. The common logic we use for the comics industry doesn't apply to them.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
If comics publishing was a HUGELY sucessful venue, like it is in Europe and Japan,

I don't know about Japan, but I know several people who've done european comics and it's not a billion dollar industry afaik like everyone likes to claim it is. Their comics done for the newsstand outlets tend to get cancelled due to lack of funds too. 

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 11  

Hey, maybe maybe CrossGen will return as a Marvel imprint or integrated into the  Marvel multiverse.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 12  

Mmm Marvel/Crossgen: Why not? :)

<< Prev Page of 43 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version