Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 65 Next >>
Topic: Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Any chance you will be explaining McCoy's bizarre beard? I tell you, that seeing him with the mountain man beard & his disco attire in the transporter room in the move really threw me!

What's to explain? He was out of Star Fleet, and he grew a beard.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This was, of course, in the Good Old Days, before "warp field generators" and other such retroactive add-ons. FTL flight was achieved with sheer power, and the Enterprise just happened to be a whole lot more powerful than the Valiant.

++++++++

Whoa, hey, wait a second. Are you saying that FTL travel was apparently possible with impulse engines prior to the "discovery of the space warp"? So, we're talking limited warp-ish speeds prior to Cochrane's work?

This never occurred to me!  And it may not necessarily be what the creators intended (at first glance, it seems more like an error, or an intentional oversight made for the sake of storytelling), but it does jibe with other bits of dialogue about TOS' history of spaceflight (such as sleeper ships being an outdated mode of interplanetary travel by 2018--long before Cochrane's discovery). Hmmmm.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 14 January 2010 at 5:01pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

All this also got me thinking...

The friendship between McCoy and Scott is rather understated throughout TOS (and the movies), but it's there. The two characters have a lot in common, and, it makes sense that they'd get along. There are a number of scenes throughout the series which indicate that they spend time together drinking and generally knocking about.

Nice to hear that we'll see them together in this series!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Can't think of anybody else from TOS I'd rather bend elbows with than Scott!

Steve D Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Michael, what about Uhura?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It also occurs to me--I believe this will be the first time JB "officially" draws Scotty in a published comic.

So, he'll have drawn nearly all of the main characters in some capacity. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Sulu (who is seen only from behind in ASSIGNMENT: EARTH), and Chekov (seen in Khan's WHO'S WHO IN STAR TREK entry). That leaves only Uhura (and an actual likeness of Sulu).

Not too shabby!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 January 2010 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Certainly the first time I recall drawing Scotty. I don't think he was lurking in the background of any of the WHO'S WHO pieces, for instance.

It was a bit of a surprise when I went looking for reference for Mr. Scott of this vintage. He looked older, and was of course sporting the mustache by then, but James Doohan had not yet begun to pack on the pounds. Scotty of TMP vintage is still quite svelte!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm currently going through the movies once again, and I noticed this as well. James Doohan had a heart attack prior to TWOK, and this may account for the change in appearance in subsequent films. And, sadly, Mr. Doohan also suffered from a number of  other illnesses--Parkinsons, diabetes, and Alzheimers.

I still can't bring myself to rewatch his interview featurette on the TOS DVD and BD sets. Seeing him so frail and sickly is very difficult.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2010 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I don't much like TMP itself, but I love that the actors are still physically similar to their TOS selves, not yet looking a bit too old or a bit too heavy.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 January 2010 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't much like TMP itself, but I love that the actors are still physically similar to their TOS selves, not yet looking a bit too old or a bit too heavy.

I thought Leonard Nimoy (alcoholic smoker) looked the most ravaged. Perhaps this was why the writers gave Spock that sojourn in the desert before he rejoined the crew. As a Vulcan (presumably even a half Vulcan) he should have been the least affected by the passing of the years.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Perhaps this was why the writers gave Spock that sojourn in the desert before he rejoined the crew. As a Vulcan (presumably even a half Vulcan) he should have been the least affected by the passing of the years.

+++++++++

Nope. That time in the desert was originally intended for Xon, Spock's replacement, in the Phase II pilot script. Nimoy's aged appearance had nothing to do with it, but it does work well enough as an explanation.

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Shatner's curlier hair/wig/weave in the features has always made me disconnect a bit from Movie Kirk "being" TV Kirk. It also seems a shade or two darker - or at least lacking highlights.

<< Prev Page of 65 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version