Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 65 Next >>
Topic: Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The McCoy likeness looks great! He's probably my favorite character of the Kirk/Spock/McCoy combo, so this is a must-buy for me.
Back to Top profile | search

Tony Tower
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And, fortunately, since none of this is canonical, none of us need to worry about it.

Is that your take, JB's, or Paramount's? Just curious.

I'm mostly in lockstep with "If it ain't on-screen, it ain't canon" argument, but I would figure the TMP novel by Roddenberry (and the VOYAGER ones by Jeri Taylor) "counted."

(My only other 'exception' is Saavik's heritage cut from KHAN. Until there's dialogue that says otherwise, she's half-Romulan, darnit!)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Paramount's (wise) position has many times been stated as only the stuff on screen (large or small) being canon -- and not ALL of that!

(Still much debate over whether the animated TOS is canon, for instance -- tho I went there for my reference on Robert April and his missus, and no one seemed to mind!)

This means that none of the TREK stuff I am doing at IDW "counts", and I am content with that.

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

<<<I would figure the TMP novel by Roddenberry (and the VOYAGER ones by Jeri Taylor) "counted.">>>

The Jeri Taylor VOYAGER novels were definitely considered canon by The Powers That Were (Rick Berman, Michael Piller, Brannon Braga, and, of course, Jeri Taylor).

Roddenberry's TMP novelization is a big question-mark. While most of the details he included in that book have never been contradicted onscreen, it's difficult to imagine some of them being part of the Star Trek universe as it was portrayed onscreen in 1979 and beyond. The brain implants in particular always struck me as out of step, even when I read the novelization for the first time in 1980 as a wee lad.

And Kirk's marriage to Lori Ciana... I just couldn't see it. As a lover, fine. But married? Hard to swallow.

<<< (My only other 'exception' is Saavik's heritage cut from KHAN. Until there's dialogue that says otherwise, she's half-Romulan, darnit!)>>>

Funny you should mention that. I came within a hair's breadth of having to develop an entirely new backstory for Saavik, one in which she was fully Vulcan, when I was writing UNTOLD VOYAGES. Luckilly, I was able to talk the approval folks at Paramount out of it.

Edited by Glenn Greenberg on 29 October 2009 at 1:22pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I find it vastly easier to adhere only to what's been stated and shown on screen. Sure, little nods to non-canonical stuff (naming McCoy's ship Joanna, for instance) are fine, but I avoid hinging whole stories, or even elements of stories on them. There's simply too much stuff out there.

It's all fanfic, as far as I am concerned, and I ignore it -- as other writers are free to ignore what I do.

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Absolutely.

Though I must admit, I wrote a story about McCoy's daughter, and it's probably my favorite issue of the UNTOLD VOYAGES series.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

(Still much debate over whether the animated TOS is canon, for instance -- tho I went there for my reference on Robert April and his missus, and no one seemed to mind!)

+++++++++

Certain key elements of TAS (Robert April, Spock's youth as seen in "Yesteryear"--written by Dorothy Fontana) have certainly become fanon, if not canon.

Whether or not TAS should be canon stems, I think from the fact that the cartoon isn't quite up to the adult level of TOS in terms of storytelling--the more kid-friendly stories are slightly difficult to reconcile with TOS (and I mean that as no slight to TAS--it's a shockingly intelligent and mature show for 70s animation).

There's a bit of a disconnect between the two shows in terms of stories, characters, etc., and there are elements (like the life-support belts) that differ from the live-action show.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Though I must admit, I wrote a story about McCoy's daughter, and it's probably my favorite issue of the UNTOLD VOYAGES series.

++++++++

But you killed Miri!

Well, it's a fair trade, I suppose. Kill one young lady and write about another who hadn't been seen (or even mentioned) in TOS.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Roddenberry's TMP novelization is a big question-mark. While most of the details he included in that book have never been contradicted onscreen, it's difficult to imagine some of them being part of the Star Trek universe as it was portrayed onscreen in 1979 and beyond. The brain implants in particular always struck me as out of step, even when I read the novelization for the first time in 1980 as a wee lad.

+++++++++

For me, it's not live-action, so it's no-go. But it is interesting on its own terms. Methinks Roddenberry was aiming for an interesting version of the tale that didn't just ape the movie; rather, it has its own unique layer of details which distinguish it from the film version.

It's more like an interesting alternate version of the story that lays on the exotic future elements and unusual character bits. Seems like the script was used merely as a launching point for a very Roddenberry-esque exploration of what the future will be like (with the brain implants, "new humans", etc.), something that moves beyond the more limited contraints of the live-action film.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 29 October 2009 at 9:05pm

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

So late to the party, but, yes, Glenn, I knew those things.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I never bought into that "friend, brother, lover" claptrap that Roddenberry put in TMP novelization.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Glenn killed off Miri? Oh, Glenn.

I have got to find a copy of that miniseries.

<< Prev Page of 65 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version