Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 161 Next >>
Topic: What’s the last movie you saw in a theater? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Godzilla: King of the Monsters. It kept me entertained all the way through and I walked away feeling good about the movie.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2019 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

ROCKETMAN

Good, not great... not really a musical, less than a biopic... more like a bold 2-hour music video, speeding through the life of Elton John.

Fun, but feels like a better, stronger film could have been made about his life & career.

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2019 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I saw it last week, Shaun, and I'd agree with what you say. The opening pre-fame/early-fame section enthralled me a lot more than the rest. Once he hits the top and goes into his booze and drugs binge it all gets a bit samey.

Also, docked points for stupid omissions and twisting of facts. Elton's first suicide attempt, Long John Baldry, Gus Dudgeon, the ground-breaking two-man tour of Cold War USSR with percussionist Ray Cooper, weeping at Wembley to Abide With Me before the 1984 FA Cup Final are all entirely absent. Not everything can be included, of course, but these are still pretty major things. Then they oddly suggest the John in Elton John came from John Lennon (it came from Long John Baldry), but omit Elton's friendship with John Lennon (Lennon's last ever on-stage performance was with Elton John at MSG). Also, not only is it chronologically impossible, but Elton did not establish himself as a serious rock act at the Troubadour by playing Crocodile Rock! 

Also odd choice to skip him singing Candle in the Wind, his signature song (yes, I know he plays a few bars on the piano, but doesn't sing a word of it. Also weird to have him playing it before he has a record deal).

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2019 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

(I'm far from the world's biggest Elton John fan, Peter, and but even I sat there during that "John Lennon" scene and thought to myself, "Really?  That's a new one on me!")

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2019 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rocketman for me. I thought it was good as well. I didn't know a whole lot about Elton John going into it so I took it for what it was. I liked for they weaved the songs into the movie quite a bit. 

I thought I read somewhere that Elton John didn't actually need glasses at first, but he wore them anyway as a kid because we wanted to be like Buddy Holly. Wearing the glasses actually damaged his vision leading him to need them. I have try and find that article. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2019 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I honestly didn’t know it was going to be a musical when we went to see it. I would’ve much preferred a straight up biopic. BUT, even if it was a musical, what really threw me was the discombobulation of the songs and timeline. If you’re gonna do a musical about a musician, at least put the songs where they belong in regards to that musician’s life. “The Bitch is Back” wasn’t even dreamed of when he was eight fucking years old. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2019 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The film does try and have its get-out-of-jail-free card in the form of saying 'hey, but it's a fantasy' to try and fudge over these chronological impossibilities and for my part, I think it does get away with it with things like using the 70s Bitch is Back back when he is a kid in the 50s, simply because the anachronism is so clear and intentional here.

It does jar, however, in other places: for example, trying to suggest he wrote I'm Still Standing after coming out of rehab, when it was written in the previous decade. But more than that, the film cheats most by trying to force Bernie's words, formed from his personal experiences, into Elton's life story. So Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting, a song inspired by Bernie's observations of Saturday night dust ups in pubs and clubs up North, is portrayed as Elton's Northwood Hills pub experience. Tiny Dancer, a song written for Bernie's first wife , Maxine, becomes Elton musing on Bernie hooking up with some random bird after the Troubadour gig.

And, of course, John Reid gets character assassinated.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2019 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And to harp on about a point I previously made, here is a list of some of Elton's bigger hits and the record producer who worked on them:

Your Song: Gus Dudgeon
Rocket Man: Gus Dudgeon
Honky Cat: Gus Dudgeon
Tiny Dancer: Gus Dudgeon
Daniel: Gus Dudgeon
Crocodile Rock: Gus Dudgeon
Candle in the Wind: Gus Dudgeon
Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting: Gus Dudgeon
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road: Gus Dudgeon
Bennie and the Jets: Gus Dudgeon
Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me: Gus Dudgeon
Philadelphia Freedom: Gus Dudgeon
Don't Go Breaking My Heart: Gus Dudgeon
Someone Saved My Life Tonight: Gus Dudgeon
Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word: Gus Dudgeon
Nikita: Gus Dudgeon

He was worth mentioning!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2019 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

ANNABELLE COMES HOME

Another great entry in the surprisingly consistent "CONJURING universe" of films... already my favorite horror movie of the year so far!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 01 July 2019 at 8:12pm

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2019 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

THE DEAD DON'T DIE.

A strange, strange movie doing the zombie/comedy thing. Still not quite sure how I feel about it and will have to re-watch it at home some time in the future. 

But I will say this: Shaun of the Dead it is not.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

MIDSOMMAR - Some interesting ideas but it still ends up being pretentious and ultimately really predictable.  I like that there's almost no drive to the pacing and there are some evocative images but the themes seem lost in this one and the characters don't really have much to do and never have some pretty obvious conversations that people in these circumstances would almost certainly have.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2019 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

MIDSOMMAR - Some interesting ideas but it still ends up being pretentious and ultimately really predictable.

----

I feel like this can be the review for most of A24's horror movies. Some of which I like, some I don't.

<< Prev Page of 161 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version