Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Q foe JB: Phoenix (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2009 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

I first read the Phoenix sage in that Bill Seinkewicz-covered paperback edition as well, around '84 - I still have it too. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with this whole "death of Phoenix" thing, plus I knew John Byrne from the FF comics I was buying so I knew it'd be good.

By the way, here in Australia there was a massive time difference between the direct edition and the standard edition of comics in the early 80's. The direct edition at my local comics store was available 3 months ahead of the standard version in the local newsagency.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

JB wrote:
I'm not sure how that's possible, Glenn. There was no prior notice of what
was going to be in 137. Remember, Chris and I didn't even know
ourselves! It shipped utterly without promotion, hype, hoopla, whatever. I
cannot imagine how an article could have been written about the issue that
would have come out any time close to the month it shipped, let alone the
same week.

And, remember, if the book "sold out" at the LCS, that would have been no
big deal in 1980. The Direct Sales Market was still only a part of the
marketplace as a whole. Anyone who could not find the issue at his/her
LCS could have strolled down the block to the nearest drugstore and found
it on the spinner rack there.

It simply was not an "event" in anything like the modern sense. In fact,
what it was, was something almost impossible to achieve in the modern
marketplace: a surprise!

I hear you, John, and I'll concede that my memories may be colored by nostalgia and what not; it was a long time ago.  It certainly was not released with the hype or fanfare of today's manipulated "events" and I didn't mean to give that impression.  And I may be wrong about the LA Times...but there was an article in the entertainment section of an LA-based newspaper, possibly the late, lamented Herald Examiner or the Daily Breeze...the thrust of the article was Jean's death, which was reported as being significant..."Major Marvel Character To Die!" or something to that effect.  As for comic shops, the biggest one near me was the Comic Vendor, owned by one of the earlier retailers named Nick Scotto...and he was VERY aware of the collectible potential of comics back then.  For that issue with a seventy-five cent cover price, he jacked it up to five bucks that same day...which was outrageous for an eleven-year old kid used to paying fifty cents for new comics!  All of the other stores in LA followed suit although to your point, they may not have increased their orders to accomodate the increased demand because they didn't know when ordering what was going to occur.  And as previously noted newsstand/drugstore/other outlet distribution was spotty at best...very difficult to collect runs from those channels because you could never be sure of what they would receive in any given shipment.  So, not arguing the point...I just recall there being a bit more buzz surrounding #137's release relative to the period compared to the average monthly comic. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 06 December 2009 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

No knock on the death of Jean Grey, but would she have been considered a major marvel character at the time? Would anyone outside of the comic book community even know the difference between Marvel and DC at the time? I'm shocked that any news outlet would have done a write up on a comic book in the late 70's or early 80's.

Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2009 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

I can understand how regular humans might misinterpret this, but the D'Bari were clearly asking for it. Jean's homosuperior, and so, she's never wrong.

{quote]...and he was VERY aware of the collectible potential of comics back then.  For that issue with a seventy-five cent cover price, he jacked it up to five bucks that same day...which was outrageous for an eleven-year old kid used to paying fifty cents for new comics!  All of the other stores in LA followed suit although to your point, they may not have increased their orders to accomodate the increased demand because they didn't know when ordering what was going to occur. [/quote]

Jean should've nuked LA comic stores too. >:(

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2009 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

Comic shops most definitely got their books before the news stands.  One of the two main reasons I switched to the comic chop once I found one was the fact that they got them earlier than the news stands.  The other was that I no longer had to hunt for them.  The hunt was fun at first, I admit, but once this 12 year old became a collector, not finding them was no longer an option and nothing I wanted to leave to chance.

Comic shops catered to me/us the collectors who got our start at the news stand.  Doing away with the news stand meant no more new uses.  Cold you imagine tobacco companies thinking this way?

"We don't need more new smokers, we'll just sell more cigarettes to the smokers we already have."

Of course they are all dying, slowly if you're lucky, so they know better.

Wish the comic book publishers understood this.

Wish kids would read...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2009 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

The Thrill of the Hunt. Another element of reading comics lost on modern
audiences.

I still experience that whenever I buy comics in Spanish... Everything else I buy it online.

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 7  

I remember him  having a big stack of them.  I didn't see the book at many newsstands, but that was because in the town I lived in distribution for some reason was always spotty for any double-sized or larger books.

It was the same way in my town. The nearest comic shop was over 50 miles away, so it was years before I got the first issue of Alpha Flight, FF 236, and all the rest of the double size issues.

I wonder why they didn't get them? Maybe they though $1.00 was more than people would pay for a comic?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 8  

Maybe they though $1.00 was more than people would pay for a comic?

••

Most likely. As I have mentioned before, the single biggest mistake the
comicbook industry made was trying to hold on to that 10¢ cover price as
all other books and magazine prices started to rise. When comics were
introduced at a dime, lots of things were a dime, including the likes of
TIME and NEWSWEEK. That dime tag was a pretty standard price -- but as
other magazines rose in price and comics didn't, comics began to stand
apart from the pack. They began, effectively, to define themselves by
that 10 cent cost. So much so, that even today you can find people
reacting in "horror" to the price of comics, as if they are somehow priced
more expensively than, say, everything else!

As Bill Gaines used to say, "When comic books were a dime, hot dogs were
a nickel." Try to find a nickel hot dog -- and if you do, I advise you not to
eat it!!

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 9  

Ted said:
Wish kids would read...

Sorry, I have to call "BUNKO" on this one.

Young Adult literature is growing at a huge pace.  Kids ARE reading.  Just as when I was a kid, I played games, read novels, and read comics. 

Today's kids are no different.  What IS different is distribution, affordability, and the fact that the comics themselves are, for the most part, aimed at an older generation rather than being written for an all ages audience.

I mean it is a sad state of affairs that I would not let my 10 year old read a good bit of what is out there today...and I am talking about the mainstream superhero comics.

*edited to embolden quote

Edited by Donald Miller on 07 December 2009 at 8:47am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 10  

When comics were introduced at a dime, lots of things were a dime, including the likes of TIME and NEWSWEEK.

This is an interesting comparison I hadn't noted before....  Although today, TIME's cover price is $4.95, but it's subscription rate (just checked) is $0.35 / issue.  Yes, thirty-five CENTS.  Presumably there's enough one-off newsstand purchases that they can subsidize the subscribers tremendously.   Not saying it could work for comics, just sayin'.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 11  

X-fan until # 172.

I jumped onboard with # 174, but I don't know that I'd call myself "lucky." Claremont had a point when he wrote Avengers Annual # 10, but the idea of Cyclops falling in love with a woman because she looks exactly like his dead lover strikes me as more than a tad unhealthy.

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 12  

I'll third the fact that the direct market got it's comics earlier than the newsstand.

I recall going to comic shows around 1983/84 and finding the direct market version of a particular comic on sale, then a few weeks later, the newsstand version at the newsstand!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version