Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Back to the Future - 01.01.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's been said since DOFP that the true point of divergence for that future was the death of Phoenix, not the assassination of Senator Kelly. Rachel's existence in the future would provide evidence of that. That gave other writers an 'out' for how the future could still exist.
Back to Top profile | search

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Rachel's existence in the future would provide evidence of that

Though I thought making Rachel Jean's daughter was a later retcon and never stated in DOFP.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, I think it was somewhat implied, but never really stated. Anyway, since Jean ended up being alive anyway in the "real" timeline then the Pheonix divergence wouldn't work anymore as a reason anyway right?

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There's alot of innacurate info being thrown here. If you like slight mind games and manipulative people mixed with awesome brawls, agressive women in high heels or all of the above, I reccomend reading essential x-men 4-6. Then if you liked it,read 7-10, they're a trip!

Since this is the JB Forum, I'm just gonna edit this out and say I really like this commission. I'm sad Crystal is dead. :(

Edited by Martin Redmond on 06 January 2010 at 5:08pm

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2010 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

X-Men #151, #152
++++

Interesting!  I didn't remember these...apparently, yes, there were Sentinels and the Hellfire Clubbers! 

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2010 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If you like slight mind games and manipulative people mixed with awesome brawls, agressive women in high heels or all of the above, I reccomend reading essential x-men 4-6. Then if you liked it,read 7-10, they're a trip!
++++

And Patrick Nagel!  JRJR worshipped Patrick Nagel back then. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Rachel's existence in the future would provide evidence of that

+++

Though I thought making Rachel Jean's daughter was a later retcon and never stated in DOFP.

••

That Rachel be Scott and Jean's daughter was the original intent of Chris and me, which of course we did not reference in the final script. Unfortunately, this was one of those "behind the scenes" things that so many people seem unwilling or unable to leave behind the scenes.

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2010 at 4:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When I first read DOFP, I thought Rachel was Jean's niece, Sarah's daughter, who I if I recall (its 30 years later after all) was mentioned in one of the Dark Phoenix issues.

The alternative history that excites me the most, though, is the one where JB saves the DOFP story idea for his FF run, has full control over the script, and all the crappy follow up and sequels don't exist.

By the way that commission piece absolutely rocks (pun intended)

Edited by Darren Ashmore on 07 January 2010 at 4:17am

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2010 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The alternative history that excites me the most, though, is the onewhere JB saves the DOFP story idea for his FF run, has full controlover the script, and all the crappy follow up and sequels don't exist.

---

You just clicked on my day-dreaming phase. I quickly imagined a DOFP story involving the FF, with the coming of Galactus which forces Sentinels to use the remaining heroes to fight him. I guess Reed Richards would save the day by making a deal with Galactus and get rid of the sentinels.

Aaaahh, I miss the old days of Marvel.

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2010 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Aaaahh, I miss the old days of Marvel.

Tell me about it.... I just looked it up, and Sentinels have been turned into Robot Jox.  They're just big mechanical suits with human "pilots" now.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I can no longer hold it in lol. 

As someone explained it, the very first issue Rachel shows up, it's established right away that Kate and Rachel had been sending people to the wrong past. Rachel is now stranded in the wrong reality, with no means to go back home and a super Sentinel from the future on her tail, called Nimrod.

So, while it did negate JB's intention of erasing the timeline, it's really that DoFP was the wrong future. DoFP wasn't used other than that and some filler story for an annual. There's only a few flashbacks to explain Rachel's extreme motivation.

If you really want a clusterfuck of stories trying to explain things that don't need explaining or would be better off left alone in favor of brand new stories, then I reccomend the Scott Lobdell and Fabian Nickieza era of X-Men or Ed Brubaker comics.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 January 2010 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I just looked it up, and Sentinels have been turned into Robot Jox. They're just big mechanical suits with human "pilots" now.

••

That seems dumb, given that Marvel already has the Mandroids.

Oh, wait. Dumb. Marvel. Redundant.

Never mind.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version