Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Q for JB: return to FF article (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2010 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

Below is an article from CBR's comic book urban legends segment(#92).  I have recently discovered it and have been trying to catch up, so this may be a bit old for everyone else.  For the most part, the author seems to be pretty fair in his research and has quoted from this board on other items.

In this instance though, you and Ralph Macchio come off as kind of petty but with neither of you being quoted directly.  The situation is discouraging to me since I would have dearly loved to have seen you return to the FF then(or at any point).

But in particular, I would just like to hear your recollection of the situation brought up in the article rather than Paul Ryan's/Tom Brevoort's.  Thanks.

************************************************************ **********************************
COMIC URBAN LEGEND
: John Byrne almost followed Walt Simonson on Fantastic Four!

Walt Simonson's Fantastic Four run was a marvelous take on thecharacters, and besides John Byrne's run, was probably the highlight ofthe book since Stan and Jack left the book, so when he left the book inthe early 90s, it was quite a shame.

Astonishingly enough, though, he was quite almost followed on the title by none other than John Byrne himself!!

Paul Ryan explained how this amazing reunion almost took place in an interview with Sean Kleefeld over at the fantastic Fantastic Four web resource site, FFPlaza.com (Please note that Daniel Best, from the awesome Adelaide Comics, also mentioned this one to me a few months ago):

Sean Kleefield: How did Marvel first approach you about doing theFantastic Four? What was your initial reaction? At the time, did youknow Tom DeFalco would also be working on it?

Paul Ryan: It is kind of funny how my tenure on the series cameabout. When word of Walt Simonson's decision to leave the FF wasannounced I got a call from John Byrne asking if I would be interestedin working with him on the title. John and I had recently collaboratedon Avengers and Avengers West Coast. I was very excited at the prospectof not only working with John again (his FF run was one of myfavorites) but working on my favorite Marvel title. I bought the firstissue at the tender age of 11.

What John failed to mention at the time was that editor RalphMacchio had not offered him (John) the book. John was of the opinionthat because Ralph knew that John wanted the book that Ralph shouldcall John. In speaking with Ralph I discovered that Ralph was of theopinion that if John wanted the book, he (John) should call Ralph. Imade repeated calls to both parties. They wouldn't budge. I could seethe FF series slipping through my fingers. Finally I just gave up andcontinued to work on the two Avengers titles.

Not too much later John asked me to pencil Iron Man. I gave up theWCA to do Iron Man. The following Friday, Ralph called to offer me thepenciling chores on the FF. DeFalco was to be the writer. I said NO,along with a few expletives. I had just taken on another series and Iwasn't too happy at the prospect of having to give up the Avengers totake on the FF. That's how we left it on Friday. All weekend long Ikept thinking about the FF and how much I loved that series. Firstthing Monday morning, even before office hours, I left a message forRalph, "I'll take the book."

My timing couldn't have been better. On Friday, after I turned downthe offer, Ralph called Dan Jurgens to offer him the book. Unable toreach Dan, Ralph left a voice mail message. I got through to Ralphfirst and the rest is history.

Imagine how different things would have been!

Tom Brevoort wrote into me recently to give some more context toPaul's recollection. Apparently, Byrne and Macchio eventually did geton the phonewith one another, but Macchio felt that some changes that Byrne wantedto make to the title with regards to continuity were too much, so heended up turning down Byrne's return on the title, leading to DeFalcoreplacing Simonson. Thanks for the info, Tom!

Edited by Andy Mokler on 03 January 2010 at 6:57pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 January 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

Completely false. There was never any plan, discussion, contemplation or thought of me returning to the FF after Walt. Or anyone else.

I have no idea where any of this comes from. (You'll notice the one person who wasn't asked in the way of "research" was ME!)

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2010 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks, JB.  In a weird sort of way, I actually feel better knowing that it never really got close to happening.

This does bring into question the validity of these urban legend columns that I've come to enjoy though, which is kind of disappointing.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ronnie Gonzalez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2010 at 12:43am | IP Logged | 4  

I'm still waiting for the last issue of the Last Galactus Story!

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2010 at 3:26am | IP Logged | 5  

If JB returned to the F.F. but wasn't drawing as well as writing, it wouldn't be as special to me. In my opinion no artist ever drew a JB story as well as JB himself did. Drawing his own tales seems to be the perfect combination that brings out his best. (now JB doing a Fantastic Four 4-ever style book, that's the holy grail for me!)

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 04 January 2010 at 3:26am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2010 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 6  

I've been thinking about this article, wondering how so much inaccuracy could have accumulated in one place, and I have decided the whole thing is a joke. Ralph's involvement certain lends credence to such a concept!

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2010 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 7  

Is Ralph known as a bit of a prankster?
D-
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 January 2010 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 8  

Is Ralph known as a bit of a prankster?

••

In the same way the Pacific Ocean is known as being "moist".

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version