Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Dis-covers DC (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 1  

The link didn't work for me; I got this message:

"We're sorry, but there is no Newsarama.com Web page that matches your entry. It is possible you typed the address incorrectly, or the page may no longer exist."

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 2  

Michael, eliminate the space in the html portion of the link.

I edited the initial post to make the link work.

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 3  

I am good with Marvel doing this. DC cooerced retailers into buying more with a cheap piece of plastic. Retailers are stuck with a bunch of comics that are going into their quarter bin where they will take a loss.

Let's be honest, this at least gives a retailer a way of recouping some of their costs.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 4  

I wouldn't use the word coerced. That implies retailers were forced or threatened to buy extra copies. To quote you, "let's be honest". You know that is not true.

Retailers don't have to buy anything they don't want to buy. Companies offer incentives to buy more and any smart retailer knows if those incentives are worth taking the risk of buying additional copies of any title. Just as any good retailer will know if they can sell 50 issues of various Blackest Night tie-ins or a have better odds selling one high priced Marvel variant. The answer may vary.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 5  

Thanks, Paul.  Sleazy, underhanded tactic by M****l; typical of the style of their current management.  Hopefully, DC will take the high road and NOT retaliate, but I wouldn't count on it - DiDio's as big a bastard as Quesada...

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 6  

Marvel hit a new low.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 7  

I just don't see this as being that big of a deal.  Let us be honest the six DC titles that were being used are not huge sellers by anyone's standards (not that much is anymore).  Of the five shops that I float around to in Columbus I am betting that only the biggest one ordered enough of those titles to even have fifty left over.  I am sure the smallest couple didn't order fifty of those titles combined.

It seems this is a deal just for the super huge stores and I doubt will affect anyone's day to day buying of said DC titles.  Sure it is a crap business practice on Marvel's part but it is business just like any other business.

It isn't like Marvel is asking the stores to pull this week's merchandise for the variant.  The Justice League book that is being offered came out two months ago. 

Unfortunately a lot worse has happened in comics recently then this.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 8  

I am good with Marvel doing this. DC cooerced retailers into buying more with a cheap piece of plastic. Retailers are stuck with a bunch of comics that are going into their quarter bin where they will take a loss.

Let's be honest, this at least gives a retailer a way of recouping some of their costs.

I remember many retailers posting at various sites complaining about having to buy these books in order to get the rings.....  But I don't remember seeing them coming back later on and saying they were stuck with a huge excess of books either.  Matter of fact, I seem to recall these issues actually selling out in numerous stores according to those same various sites.

I would love for any retailer to come here and set the record straight.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 9  

Isn't BN the same as Marvel Zombies? :/

QUOTE:
According to my calculations this is a fair trade;

50 X 0 = 1 X 0

You and me both! *adds to snark*

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 10  

I edited the initial post to make the link work.

Thanks, Paul!

This was a bit of a discussion a little while ago about the rings, as some retailers were selling them when they should have been "free." However, for every 25 comics ordered, retailers got 50 rings. Those that sold the rings already probably recouped a great deal of the cost of the comics they were bought with. A 4 dollar book costs a retailer 2 bucks, they sell a ring for 50 cents or a dollar, and suddenly the book cost them a buck fifty, maybe a buck. Maybe nothing - some retailers charged 2-3 dollars for the rings!

So really, no retailer whether they ordered enough for their pull lists, or 100 extra copies to get more rings, should be out ANY money from the whole Blackest Night thing. In fact, they should be making money. 

They can sell those issues for a buck a pop, or two bucks, and get people hooked on new series. Get return customers buying stuff like REBELS (which I haven't read) and Doom Patrol (which I like) and leave the variant cover one-time charge to the idiots who think getting 100 dollars for one sale is better than having five customers lined up to spend 4 dollars more per month. 

5 customers at 4 dollars more per month (assuming for every 50 unsold books a retailer can only hook 5 readers after selling through) is 20 bucks per month. Any retailer worth his salt would rather have 5 customers willing to take the plunge on a regular book for a few months to see what it's like, and take further suggestions, than to sell one comic to one guy one time and never see or hear from him again.

Lee Painter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 11  

I'd be willing to shell out a 100 bucks for a Deadpool variant of Siege. Deadpool is the msot orginal character in the entire Marvel universe.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 12  

Is it a surprise that these guys don't know how to write stories about heroes???

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version