Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 117 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Robbie Parry:

It's [MAGNUM, P.I.] about the characters for me. Like anything. I mean, I didn't watch BAYWATCH NIGHTS for the private eye cases. ;-)

I loved the interaction between Magnum and Higgins over time. Higgins told Magnum off for wearing what he considered to be a stupid gorilla mask in one early episodes; but then, later on, Higgins and others wore gorilla masks for a surprise party for Magnum.

Magnum was always clashing with certain detectives, too.

Good fun.

I like the passing references to 'McGarrett and Five-O' during the first season(A Jack Lord guest-shot was planned, but he wasn't interested. A later cameo by James Garner as Rockford was called off because Garner and Universal Studios were in 'Rockford Files'-related litigation at the time). And then there were the crossovers that actually happened, with SIMON & SIMON and MURDER, SHE WROTE).
Plus, Peter Davison appeared in an episode filmed in the UK.
Oh, and some Sinatra guy showed up once.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This is the R1 first season boxset, Brian, and a SIMON & SIMON crossover is on there. I can't wait!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Revisiting RENO 911.

CLAUDIUS to RENO. Talk about the sublime to the ridiculous!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I hadn't heard of RENO 911 until I read your post, Mr Byrne.

It looks interesting, but not necessarily something I'd put at the front of my "queue". 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

RENO 911 is a show that, by any reasonable expectation, I should NOT like. It is crude, vulgar, loud -- and yet funny. It's particular brand of humor is perhaps best summed up by the title of their theatrical movie, RENO 911: MIAMI.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Began HANNIBAL last night.

Watched 5 episodes. Very compelling. The performances were captivating. Very happy to binge-watch this.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2017 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Finished the first season of HANNIBAL. What a captivating season. Every performance was mesmerising. 

I think I'll start Season 1 of ELEMENTARY now. Xmas TV seems filled with rubbish this year (I'll only be watching the Xmas special of DOCTOR WHO) so as I have some time off from work over Xmas, I'll work through the many boxsets piled high.

I will say one thing about DVDs/Blu-rays VS streaming. I never know when a series is going to leave Netflix (they don't have "expiry dates" next to them). Plus, there's an impermanence to it all. I at least can keep some of the better boxsets for rewatch later on; if I view Netflix at a later date, who's to say what is still on there?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Count Dracula [1977]

Very vivid memories of seeing this (at least the first half), back when PBS ran this in the States, when I would have only been 5 years old... creeped me out for years afterwards, and still very effective today.

One of my all-around favorite Dracula adaptations, with one very important caveat... I don't mind the relatively low-budget, and the switch between film and videotape (the norm for plenty of BBC productions at the time)... sadly, I'm not that thrilled with Louis Jordan as the Count.  He's an excellent actor, of course, but he's just not particularly sinister or scary.  Too mannered & polite for my (ahem) taste.

As I may have posted before a few years back:  Keep this script and most of the other actors, substitute Jordan with Christopher Lee, and give it the production values & score of the 1992 Francis Ford Coppola version, and you might have the greatest Dracula movie never made!  (IMHO, of course.)

(Edit:  What the--?!  Post #5400!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 22 December 2017 at 2:45pm

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I will say one thing about DVDs/Blu-rays VS streaming. I never know when a series is going to leave Netflix (they don't have "expiry dates" next to them).

----

Netflix was put a notice in the corner of the screen saying when a series is leaving. I think it's mostly at the beginning of episodes when you're watching.

I will say I guess I assumed things would stay on Netflix forever and since that's clearly not the case, I do think in some cases it would be easier just to buy the DVDs. Then the only problem is days when I'm too lazy to put in a DVD :)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ah, thank you, John, I'll look for that.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Until Netflix in the US adopted its current user interface a couple of years back, the queue included a red-font 'Expiring soon' message(which would dispaly the end date when it got within 30 days).

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 December 2017 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Last night a mini-marathon of Xmas episodes from 30 ROCK and COMMUNITY, two from each.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2017 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Shaun, if I recall correctly, the behind-the-scenes info on the BBC Dracula revealed that the producers and Jourdan took considerable pleasure in underscoring an element of Stoker's story that few other adaptations pay much attention to; That of Dracula's over-the-top Anglophilia.

Dracula, especially in the BBC production, is rather enamored of England and its culture, and plays servant to the first Englishman he's ever met, serving as coachman, cook, and waiter, eager to hear all about his new home and imploring Jonathan Harker to correct the slightest flaw in his English pronunciation or usage. He is precise and polite to Harker in large part because he is awed by the culture he is intent upon becoming a part of, to the extent that he can.

The BBC tickled itself emphasizing these elements in its presentation of Stoker's story. Of course, being a foreigner, Dracula cannot conceal those elements of his nature that make him less-than-British, such as his hairy palms and ultimately brutal, murderous character, so the whole thing comes off as a bit xenophobic, with Britain being the ideal towards which all aspire, even backwards East-European aristocratic monsters, and of course, unattainable to all except those properly born of English blood.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2017 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Great info, Brian... but couldn't they still have found time for Dracula to be, you know, scary??

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Started SUPERGIRL over the last few days. Nine episodes so far.

Whatever criticisms people have of the show, and I've heard many, it's FUN. Some shows and movies have lacked fun in the superhero genre. Kara/Supergirl is very personable, National City has its own character about it, and I am enjoying it immensely. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

LOST IN SPACE (S2)

This is the transitional season into "The Dr. Smith Variety Hour".
The credits continue to list Jonathan Harris as "special guest star", he may have had that written into his contract.
There is some enjoyment to be gleaned from the episodes like the guest appearances from actors on the tv landscape of the time. Usually I dread child actors especially on tv but Billy Mumy gives a good account of himself thru out.
And I'm appreciating Robot's dry humor more and more as time goes by.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

This is a clip of an interview in which Jonathan Harris discusses his casting, and the explanation of that 'special guest star' billing:

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

THE WIRE

Bought it on Blu just before X-mas. Finished the first season and started on the second. Some of the best TV ever made. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

"This is a clip of an interview in which Jonathan Harris discusses his casting, and the explanation of that 'special guest star' billing:"

Ah ha, Thanks Brian.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I heard Harris being interviewed for the 'Don and Mike' radio show, around the time the 'Lost in Space' movie came out. The hosts asked him if he would  be in the movie, after it had been announced that other original cast members would make cameos.
He told them he 'declined', but his full answer didn't make the air as the 'seven second delay'(it was a live show) kicked in. It turned out that Harris had 'dropped an F bomb' on air...as that had been his response after he'd asked the producers of the movie if 'there was any money it. They gave their answer, and I said 'EFF YOU!'

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 26 December 2017 at 9:08pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The Beatles in "Magical Mystery Tour" [1967]

Typically wonderful music, in a 53-minute bullshit film.  Just dreadful!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2017 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Followed by:

Star Trek - "The Trouble with Tribbles" [1967]

50 years later and still a riot, but in a witty, intelligent way.  Loads of laughs and fun, and my eldest daughter fell instantly for the tribbles!  (And her first "Star Trek," too... she watched the preview trailer with me at first and said, "I wanna see this!"  Yay!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on 27 December 2017 at 9:45pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2017 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Be thankful it wasn't "Spock's Brain" she saw, Shaun. ;-)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2017 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

(Robbie, I would NEVER do that, to any of my kids!)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2017 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

My youngest nephew (18) thrives upon the internet-fueled youth culture of scorn, mockery, and laughing derisively at anything and everything some whack-a-doodle on YouTube feels needs to be mocked today. As such, I did show him "Spock's Brain" not long ago, along with "And the Children Shall Lead."

"Spock's Brain" got the reception it largely deserves although he was mostly too stunned by what was happening in front of him to actually say much or react too often. Mostly it was, "Wait. What's happening now?" Because, y'know, it wasn't over in 30 seconds or only contain 140 letters.

"And the Children Shall Lead" got a different sort of reaction. He became convinced early on that the crew of the Enterprise were squaring off against Satan, and viewed under that pre-conception, the episode is just a little better. I wonder if that was the show's idea back in the 60's as well. Kirk comes up with the name "Gorgon" pretty much out of nowhere to describe the "friendly angel" the children dance in a circle to summon. 

It's always fun (well, almost always fun) to watch classic Trek with a new set of eyes.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 117 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version