Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 114 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2018 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Oh, jeez, I meant to watch SILICON VALLEY when I heard the first season was starting.

And now there are four? With a fifth season starting soon?

Whatever happened to the time. It feels like just a year or two ago that I was reading about the first season! Time flies.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

About to revisit McCLOUD, not seen since the Seventies. Wish me luck!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Most sincerely, good luck, JB! I'm going to be very interested in your opinion since I've not since the show since then myself. I expect will be quite dated, but I hope that the stories and characters are solid. Fond memories.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've watched the tv movie Duel on DVD twice already since getting the DVD a couple of months ago. Dennis Weaver is very underrated. I remember watching McCloud (and Kolchak The Night Stalker) a lot 'back in the day', er, evening, but you know what i mean.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Rewatched Seasons 1-4 of LINE OF DUTY (BBC).

LINE OF DUTY follows the work of AC-12, the anti-corruption unit within Central Police, a UK force whose geography is unspecified (no force of that name exists within the real world).

There are many twists and turns. Each season has a particular storyline, but there is an overall arc leading to some interesting places. 

It's compelling stuff! 

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

McCLOUD --- nope. Didn't get thru the first (pilot) episode. Not anything really wrong with it, but so damn SLOW.

Maybe if I had not just been rewatching VEEP. . . .

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JESSICA JONES' second season starts today on Netflix.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Checking out season two of JESSICA JONES... Enjoying it just fine so far, although it doesn't have quite the edge to it that the first season did. Probably due to the lack of there being a really good villain like they had in Killgrave.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Okay, let's see what CAGNEY AND LACEY has to offer...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Wow, a second-hand DVD store had the first season of the modern BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (13 episodes) for two quid:

I was planning to buy that soon - and didn't even plan to look in on the second-hand DVD store today. That's a bargain, I feel.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Good buy, Robbie!

The mini-series and first couple of seasons was some of the most fun I had  watching a Sci-Fi show.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hang on, there's a mini-series prior to the first season? 

Oh no, does that mean this two quid bargain was futile. Oh well, I'll see if HMV has the mini-series. :D 

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

WAREHOUSE 13.

Steed and Mrs Peel meet old time Marvel Comics!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Bummer Robbie, I would've thought they'd include the 2 episode mini. But 13 episodes is just the first season. Didn't mean to rain on your parade.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

It's no problem, no parade rained on!

Mr Byrne, I felt some episodes of WAREHOUSE 13 were rather eerie. Very good show, though.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 15 March 2018 at 11:47am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Robbie, Zavvi and other similar sites often the bluray
box set of the whole lot for around £25-£30

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Ah, Zavvi, the company that lost TWO packages they sent out, giving me many headaches. Thanks, Bill, but I'll pass. ;-)

I wonder how the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA would stand up!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I've never seen Warehouse 13... reading about it on imdb I'll have to find it now. Usually the Canadian 'Space' channel is pretty good at getting the best sf/f like Humans (they even ran the Swedish original with subtitles at first) and Orphan Black, but if they aired this I completely missed it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

WAREHOUSE 13 is a spin-off of A TOWN CALLED EUREKA. I enjoyed both, but, like so many things, I lost track of the seasons.

That's not an issue nowadays where the likes of Netflix stream entire runs or we can buy the DVDs. But back then, there were problems. I was watching LOST on Channel 4, but then it became a Sky-exclusive drama; at the time, I didn't have Sky so couldn't follow it. By the time I got Sky, three or four seasons had passed.

Gregory Harshman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

THE FUGITIVE (1963) season one – when I was younger the Fugitive was rebroadcast on the local PBS station. I would watch it with my parents and brother. I have very fond memories of this show, and was worried it would not hold up well. 

I am seven episodes in thus far and I am really enjoying it. The power of good storytelling is timeliness.  It is hard to believe this show if 55 years old. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

In the middle of THE INCREDIBLE HULK: Season One [1977-78]:

Some of these episodes are admittedly showing their age, and some just aren't very good (the man-in-ape-costume episode "The Beast Within" is an eye-roller), but Bill Bixby, Lou Ferrigno and Jack Colvin will always be the anchors that help keep this series as interesting as it is.

Loads of nostalgia here, many memories of catching most (if not all) of these episodes in their first-run broadcasts.  Easily my favorite TV show when I was between the ages of 5 and 10!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2018 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Y’know, the show had its clunkers, but the overall batting average was very high. And the great episodes are still great!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I recently watched an episode of THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO and wow, was I blown away by the sheer, unadulterated amateur nature of the staging, filming, and editing. It was awful. 

In the episode, Ralph has to stop a freight train loaded with nuclear waste from crashing into the railway yard and exploding as part of a terrorist scheme. The "fight" with the terrorists at the opening was the worst I've ever seen put to film. Either no one is hitting their marks or there are no marks for anyone to hit. Punches don't connect and terrorists fling themselves to the floor willy-nilly. There is no eye contact or actual physical contact anywhere. In a professional-level production this would not have been a competent run-through never mind a finished scene. 

Then, after talking about which tracks Ralph needs to follow, Robert Culp blows a line and it's kept in the show. Ralph's still wearing his coat, and Bill shouts at him, "Ralph, your track! I mean, your coat! Here, gimme that...!" 

Did the director just say, "No, he covered it. Moving on!" It's as if there were no second takes allowed on this production.

The final scene with Ralph stopping the train at the last second is fake looking, of course, as many of these things from this era were, but there was no coverage shot apparently of the conductor and the terrorist inside the train reacting to any of it. There is also no shot of the aftermath to give all of the close-up work on Ralph any context. We just have to take it on faith that the train exists after a certain point. The camera just sort of wobbles at the approaching wall, Ralph jumps in front of it, leans against something, and we're next shown him face down, head through the apparently very thin wall. Bill and Pam walk up. Everyone laughs. Freeze frame and roll credits. Sound of machine gun fire as the still very alive terrorist on the train kills the conductor and all of our heroes. Okay, no, but what did happen to that guy?

Did they have to shoot this over a weekend? Did filming some of the earlier train footage take up the entire schedule? What the hell?

Here's the final upshot, though. I still really, really liked the episode. Yes, I was flummoxed with all of the above and still am aghast that it made it onscreen, but the performances, chemistry, and interplay of the leads saves this "let's put on a show in the barn" nonsense. Ralph's earlier collision with a train has given him amnesia of a weirdly specific type and Bill is hurt that Ralph doesn't remember their friendship from the past few months. Ralph's relationship with the Counselor is finally shown absent the usual business with Bill and the suit. All of that plays like gangbusters and made the episode fun, but good lord, was everyone just punching the clock by this point on the show?

Edited by Brian Hague on 25 March 2018 at 5:19pm

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

WAREHOUSE 13 is a spin-off of A TOWN CALLED EUREKA. I enjoyed both, but, like so many things, I lost track of the seasons.

•••

Is "spin-off" the right word? There were several character crossovers, but 13 didn't start on EUREKA, did it?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2018 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Yes, now you mention it, that's right. Not sure what the word I'm after is, but it's very much its own entity. It's part of a shared universe with EUREKA and ALPHAS. 

<< Prev Page of 114 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version