Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Captain April again? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

John,

Any chance of seeing Captain Robert April again in any of your series?  I was just re-reading "Crew" and was struck again at how you nailed the characterization of both he and Sara April.  Any chance of a mini starring the two of them?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

No plans, tho one of the three new series green-lit by IDW ends around the same time as April takes command of the Enterprise. A "guest shot" is, I suppose, not out of the question.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

the three new series green-lit by IDW

++++++++++

And there was much rejoicing.

While it's certainly too soon to let the spoilers rip on these projects, can you say if these series will take place in a range of different time periods? You seem to be having a lot of fun exploring different eras in TREK history, from the 20th Century to pre-"Cage" to post-TOS, and it wouldn't surprise me if these new series kept that going.

Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

…can you say if these series will take place in a range of different time periods?

••

All three will overlap time periods I have already visited, but at different times within those times.

And all three predate TOS -- one by QUITE a long time!!

Something unrelated to this, except obliquely: in the third and fourth issues of FRONTIER DOCTOR we will be visiting a pre-refit Constitution class starpship that will show some of the modifications made to those old warhorses prior to their getting chopped and channeled. So the Bridge, for instance, will be familiar, and yet different -- much in the same way Pike's Bridge is like Kirk's, and yet not.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 5  

Cool!

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

"-- one by QUITE a long time!!"

VERY interesting...

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

Any chance of Captain Garth of Izar appearing in one of the series? In the episode 'Whom Gods Destroy' ( TOS - 3rd Season) he was supposedly a major figure in Starfleet history and one of Kirk's idols. Before Garth went crazy, that is. Any guy that would blow up Yvonne Craig, had to be nuts.

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

I was thinking about Garth just the other day, doing a little preliminary timeline research for the first of these series. I'm not sure there's a place for him in the second series, which would be the most logical for an appearance. His own sad tale seems like it could make a miniseries unto itself.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 9  

Garth's exploits would probably be required reading at Starfleet Academy. Perhaps Garth could address a graduating class. If one of the series would allow for such a scene. Just a thought.

Edited by Cory Vandernet on 12 February 2010 at 12:04am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

I was thinking about Garth just the other day, doing a little preliminary timeline research for the first of these series. I'm not sure there's a place for him in the second series, which would be the most logical for an appearance. His own sad tale seems like it could make a miniseries unto itself.

+++++++

When I was watching the third season a while back, it did strike me that Garth in his prime would be interesting to see in a comic story. "Whom Gods Destroy" was a weak episode, but one of the more entertaining segments of that season for me. I do rather like Garth and his backstory.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 11 February 2010 at 10:04pm

Ian Moss
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 11  

I think John Byrne is on to something that classic Trek fans will enjoy.  CREW, for instance, was a fun adventure starring a lost character of Trek lore, "Number One".  I'd love to see other such adventures of  young adventurous Lieutenant Pike, Perhaps some tales of young Lieutenant April, etc.  It would be interesting to see how a master story teller would fit these other adventures into key moments of Starfleet history, etc.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version