Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: DuoShade (and all of it’s variants) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

I remember being transfixed by the shading effect created by DuoShade when I was growing up reading comics...  I used to just stare at the tiny lines, dots, or crosshatches and remember completely being taken in by the depth of the image created by this technique...  it's certainly a lost art and such a shame that it seems to have been abandoned by our digital world. (or has it?)

anyways, I'm attempting to create my own pattern layers for use (digitally, of course) in shading and was wondering if or how anyone here has re-created the effect and would you be willing to post examples,and maybe how you did it (if you like)?
:)  when done properly it really has a mesmerizing effect.. almost hypnotic.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2010 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 2  

I'm attempting to create my own pattern layers for use (digitally, of course) in shading and was wondering if or how anyone here has re-created the effect and would you be willing to post examples,and maybe how you did it (if you like)?

••

I experimented with "digital Duo-Shade" a while back, on some YOU GO, GHOUL pages. It was fairly simple. Using Photoshop I "painted" in two shades of gray, then converted the image to a half-tone screen.

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Hudson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 3  

Thank you so much for the reply and explanation, Mr. Byrne!  
that's interesting and it looks great!  I haven't tried a half-tone screen yet---

I did find a way to make a crosshatch effect that works well, (although just a little bit tedious) but I'm finding I don't really know when is too much and exactly where it should be applied!!  :D  I'd post an example but my art doesn't look very good next to yours (haha).

I've been looking through some old comics from the 80's and I'm seeing alot of different patterned textures that are very subtle but that look awesome-- so funny how you see things you don't notice.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version