Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: What’s Twice as Bad as the Sinister Three? - 03.20.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

WOW!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 5:22am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You can really make out the differences between Ditko's original published cover and the pin-up that JB produced at the top.  I think JB really packed a lot more action into that scene than was originally seen on the cover, and all it took was a little shifting around of the characters to take up space and action -- LOTS of action!
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Marvelous and dynamic piece! Congrats to the commissioner!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Absolutely fantastic - true to the original in spirit but surpasses it entirely in detail and sense of action!

••

Marvel hadn't quite "found" itself when the first Spider-Man annual was published. Indeed, it would be a while yet before the books started to take on the bursting-the-borders kinds of "cosmic" energy most people think of (or used to think of) when they think "Marvel".

In the early Sixties, it was still pretty much DC that set the tone, and altho what Stan, Jack and Steve were doing was breaking the mold, it was more in the way of chipping off bits and pieces, rather than throwing the whole thing against a wall! Look at the first couple of years of FANTASTIC FOUR, for instance, and notice how low key most of the covers are.

When I do a reimagining like this, the mindset from which I often work is born by asking myself How would I have drawn this, if I had been working for Marvel when the original was done? Of course, that's not usually what the end product actually shows. Had I been asked to do the cover for the first annual, assuming my skill level to be the same as it is today, it would most likely have come out much more like what Dikto drew then than what I drew yesterday. That was, after all, the style of the times.

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This commission is a thing of beauty; a real masterpiece! 

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Great job utilizing the additional space provided not having to worry with the whole title area at the top.  Repositioning some of the villains and drawing them closer to Spider-Man did wonders for the composition.  Classic, classic, classic!  I've been really hoping to see more classic cover reimaginings since we were treated to Detective 27, Action 1 and Avengers 1 over the last couple years.  More early Spider-Man covers would be great to see.  I can't believe no one has commissioned a Fantastic Four 1 cover yet!  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There's an FF cover reimagining on the List -- not the first issue, tho.

Actually (!!), it WOULD be kind of interesting to take a run at FF1 as a reimagining, rather than another of the 347 "homages" (ie, characters in the same positions) I have already done.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Absolutly fabulous!...I loved your "Ditko" Spider-Man!

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Every character is on-model, and the picture is still easily identifiable as a John Byrne drawing -- this is an AWESOME example of professional output!

VERY nice work, JB!  THIS picture reminds me of why I came to love superhero comics so much, and why I continued to read them well into adulthood.  The lack of this level of professionalism and pure ENTERTAINMENT in comics is why I'm not reading any modern superhero comics from Marvel or DC.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Incredible.
Just one question, Chief: How come you didn't go for the red-black costume, which could help contrast the villains in front of Spider-Man? Your choice or the customer's?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

You see a lot of blacks on how Ditko drew it?

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Of course I don't, but I remember you drawing the black costume in one reimagining of cover where Spider-Man was wearing the blue one (the Man-Thing Marvel Team-Up one) and I thought that is your Spider-Man costume of choice, anyway.That's why I asked...

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version