Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 55
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2017 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I pulled out the 1/350 TOS. Put on my Blue Builders club shirt and starting going thru the boxes trying to make sure I have all the parts still.  So many wires!! What possessed me to want to do the lighting! UGH! 
So tempted to Rework this into the pilot version and not light anything. Save it for the second Build. (which I will never ever get to)

Also found unbuilt 1/1000 NX-01 and TOS in the box with Big E> 

I like the art. It's better than anything I've seen come out officially for years! Maybe greg can kitbash one. ha ha!
Back to Top profile | search | email

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2017 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Taking a break from the PHASE II model whilst waiting for primer to cure, I  got back to work on my Franz Joseph-style tug. This build has been in-progress for years, with a number of setbacks and false starts. It has almost seemed cursed. I was planning on building two different card modules, to occasionally be switched out to freshen up the display, but the one I bought from Modular Models--with its multi-segment construction--has been a pain to put together. I'd gotten it to a point where it was looking good...and then dropped it on the floor, where it shattered. I've pretty much given up on it, and am sticking with the PNT Models cargo module which came with the tug conversion kit.

Well, last night, I finally finished the painting of the tug, and was removing the masking...and it fell on the floor. One of the nacelles broke off, and both pylons are hanging by a thread. This is gonna be a major repair job, and I'm almost at the point where I'm tempted to start over from scratch, because that might be easier. Due to the design, there are tight spaces in the nooks and crannies of the pylon-to-saucer connection which would be easier to fill and sand if the model wasn't already assembled and painted. ARGH!

On the flipside, the PHASE II model is coming along really nicely. Still working on the nacelles, which need a lot of accurizing. Once they're done, final assembly and painting should move swiftly. 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Greg. You've been working on that Tug almost as long as this thread has been around. 

You work on accurizing the Phase II reminds me of Tank or airplane modelers that will spend hours or accurizing those things. But because Sci-fi is not real it gets looked down upon. 

Working on the NX-01 refit right now. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, some people don't care about accuracy. Me, I'm (obviously!) a rivet-counter. A few people have complained that the PHASE II kit can't have inaccuracies, because A) It's a fictional spacecraft; B) The visual effects model was never finished and never made it to air. 

Well, there are photos of the model under construction, as well as Jefferies' blueprints. Combined with Dave Shaw's research (including discussions with the people who worked on the original model), there's more than enough information to pin down what the model would likely have looked like, had it been completed.

Unfortunately, there have been a whole bunch of fan interpretations of the design, which muddy the waters. Most of them incorporate TMP Refit design elements into the design to fill in the gaps, which misses the point. The PHASE II ship was supposed to be a literal refit of the TOS ship. Mostly the same (although Jefferies played with the shapes and proportions of the saucer and secondary hull), but with new engines and a few other odds and ends.

Anyway, I'm still fuming over the tug. I can't decide whether to start over or try and salvage it. 

I've also done some work on my own NX Refit, but I might need a new upper saucer, since I did some modifications I'm not entirely happy with.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 55
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version